E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW ASSIST UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I have read the book on BMW assist - and I'm none the :banned: wiser.

Logic says that the system must have a simcard somewhere, anyone know where?

Other posts (USA) say that later models have a 'tracker' feature, which is logical, but there is no mention of it in the UK book. Anyone know more than me?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by blingo' post='251352' date='Mar 7 2006, 06:41 PM
I have read the book on BMW assist - and I'm none the :banned: wiser.

Logic says that the system must have a simcard somewhere, anyone know where?

Other posts (USA) say that later models have a 'tracker' feature, which is logical, but there is no mention of it in the UK book. Anyone know more than me?
Yes, your car can be tracked if it is stolen, but only in the open, the system will lose signal if the car goes indoors.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Thanks Katheikia, I appreciate that. The issue really is whether there is a network (BMW assist?) in the UK that will offer the tracking service. I have been looking for a big sales pitch and can't find one, the handbook is only useful if you have a wobbly table.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

I registered with Assist soon after i bought my car (Sept 05) and was suprised to find that the car obviously does have a sim/mobile facility already built into it.

If you call assist via i drive you speak directly to someone and they can give you directions from where you are currently positioned so therefore they can certainly track you when your connected to them. and it must obviously be using the GPS for tracking and mobile cell tracking i believe would be too innaccurate

As for the service. Well i've used it three times to find hotels and they sent me to the wrong location twice. One of hotel locations sent me to a quite residential suburb!!

Is it just me, but they always seem suprised that you have called with an enquiry??

The free trial is almost over and i wont be renewing the subscription.
It does make me wonder though weather they are tracking your every movement??
Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

I have no doubt they could if they wanted. Only a matter of time if you asked me.

Do you know if there is a subscription service for theft tracking, perhaps included in the Assist package?

I am also trying to ask BMW but they don't know I have Nav, even though they built it
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Arrow

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='251367' date='Mar 7 2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, your car can be tracked if it is stolen, but only in the open, the system will lose signal if the car goes indoors.
I'm curious, where did you find the information about losing the signal indoors?
cheers
vern
Old 03-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by vern' post='251568' date='Mar 8 2006, 07:25 AM
I'm curious, where did you find the information about losing the signal indoors?
cheers
vern

It was posted a couple of months ago and reconfirmed by everyones insurance company when they were asked for a LO-Jack type discount. Its satellite based and with no direct line of sight it loses signal, like satelite radio-t.v.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='251606' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:23 PM
It was posted a couple of months ago and reconfirmed by everyones insurance company when they were asked for a LO-Jack type discount. Its satellite based and with no direct line of sight it loses signal, like satelite radio-t.v.
Not all indoors, there needs to enough 'roof' to block the signal, toerags use a metal container if they are deliberately trying to hide.

BMW UK says there is no theft tracking available in the UK.
The reason the book is so bad is that the full instructions for BMW Assist arrived by post today, doesn't seem to give you much for ?300/year unless you expect a major accident...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='251606' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:23 AM
As far as I knew, it is cellular based in the US. Actual provider is Verizon. That's why the fine print says that you may not be able to use it where there is no cellular service.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

The car knows it's position (from the satnav) and then basically phones it's position on request. In the UK they have chosen to use this ability to send you an breakdown truck or an ambulance, but not for theft tracking. I can only assume that it clashes with an existing contract they have to sell us all 'Trackers' (a third party add on product in the UK).

Quick Reply: BMW ASSIST UK