E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Approved Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='705959' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:23 AM
hmmmm... bmw approved tires? one that slides everywhere and cause us to spend new tires every 10k?

so basically their approved tires would be Michelin, GoodYear Continental and Pirelli i guess...

hmmmmm guess what??

THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!...
The approved tyres are just tyres from premium brands. Why would someone want put cheap tyres on a performance car its not as if the market isnt competative between major brands. If people can't afford premium tyres on a car as expensive as an E60/61 can they actually afford the running costs of such a car?
I cant see why BMW would worry with what tyres are fitted to the car as long as they are of the correct size and speed/load rating, unless of course there are clauses in lease contracts or something.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sandglass' post='706933' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:29 PM
You bring up an interesting point, I never thought about the spark plugs.

I'm experiencing crazy flat spotting on the Kumho's when the tires get cold. I even experience this when the car is parked only for a few hours. Do you experience flat spots on your Kumho's? You're exactly right when you say "you get what you pay for" hence that's why I will never go cheap on tires ever again!
Yes I do feel flat spots but my Z3 sits for days at times. Takes a couple miles to smooth out. But my Conti's do the same. Its just the compound used I would not relate to cheapness.

But both my Z and 545 have performance tires so I expect the flat spots when siting. A BMW rep recommended cutting out 4 carpet squares and placing them on my garage floor for the tires to sit on. He said it was more to slow the cooling down rate, which he said makes the flat spotting worse ( quicker cool downs.)

That is also why ( just one more reason) it is very common to see BMW folks looking for "winter tires."

If you purchase your exact size in a good quality all season ( I'm gonna do Mich.) you should see an improved ride.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by meatzorb' post='707423' date='Oct 30 2008, 06:42 AM
Yes I do feel flat spots but my Z3 sits for days at times. Takes a couple miles to smooth out. But my Conti's do the same. Its just the compound used I would not relate to cheapness.

But both my Z and 545 have performance tires so I expect the flat spots when siting. A BMW rep recommended cutting out 4 carpet squares and placing them on my garage floor for the tires to sit on. He said it was more to slow the cooling down rate, which he said makes the flat spotting worse ( quicker cool downs.)

That is also why ( just one more reason) it is very common to see BMW folks looking for "winter tires."

If you purchase your exact size in a good quality all season ( I'm gonna do Mich.) you should see an improved ride.
Here is a link that I thought was interesting to read, but not really "new" information.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=42
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by meatzorb' post='707423' date='Oct 30 2008, 03:42 AM

The interesting thing about all this is that although the PS2 is a summer performance tire I never felt or had any issues with flat spotting. That goes to show how good the PS2's are all around.