E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 550i. What I'm buying, Less than 500rpm at idle. Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone.
Here will be my last question before driving couple hundred miles to purchase this car.

I read some threads about 545i . 550i rough idle issues.
Since I am buying car that I've never seen it in person, or test drove it, I am just a bit worried.

This is the picture of actual car that I am buying

Does it seem like it's idle is too low?? If car is fully warmed up (probably in the picture), does it usually idel less than 500rpm?

Please let me know what you guys think.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Members

Also, I have another concern. This car was up for sale since January 2011, then listed in auction at April 2011, and Listed as sales again in the dealer I am going to (in June 2011)
This car has not yet been sold for couple month. putting less than 200 miles in 8 month period.

According to the dealer, it was priced at higher end, but I can't stop doubting any other reason why people didn't end up buying this car.
Less than 40k miles, fully loaded, good color combo, I am sure lots of people were interested in this, but it just didn't sell for quiet a while?!?
Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by JoshLee89
Also, I have another concern. This car was up for sale since January 2011, then listed in auction at April 2011, and Listed as sales again in the dealer I am going to (in June 2011)
This car has not yet been sold for couple month. putting less than 200 miles in 8 month period.

According to the dealer, it was priced at higher end, but I can't stop doubting any other reason why people didn't end up buying this car.
Less than 40k miles, fully loaded, good color combo, I am sure lots of people were interested in this, but it just didn't sell for quiet a while?!?
hard to say get Car fax then ask a lot of questions.

[b]- Then visually inspect the car inside and out. If something doesn't seem right then its probably not right.
- Turn all the electronics on and make sure they are working as they should.
- Turn the car on/off a couple of times to make sure the battery is functioning as it should.
- Check Ac and its functions.
- Drive the car listen to interior noise and lower widows to hear suspension over bump.
- Finally make sure transmission engages smoothly in all gears and do a couple of stop/go's to get a good feel for the car.
[/b]

GOOD LUCK and be smart!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

It should idle at 500 when warmed up. It may be idling slightly lower than normal or the needle could be slightly off.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Members

This looks about normal when the a/c compressor is off. When the a/c compressor is on, it should be around 1k-1.2k
Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The pic you show, the car is not warmed up yet. If it were completely warmed up the little ticks right by the redline would be at 2 ticks. But I believe 500-600 is completely normal.
The pyramid with the exclamation next to the P is most likely because the seatbelt is not clicked in. Ask dealer to warm up the car until the ticks are at 2 and click the sealbelt then take a pic. This way you will know for sure there are no Control Messages popping up. As far as the auction indicator ect etc...this is worthless info really that tells you nothing about the car. It was probably sitting with dealer's inventory too long, priced high and not advertised appropriately to the right target group and therefore was run at auction in order to refresh inventory.

I don't know about 550i but I would think the idle would jump for just a second then stabilize back to it's programmed spot. I don't think compressor should affect the actual idle load to be higher or lower once warmed up.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

thats about where my car idles when the ac is off.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Contributors

One little observation > I see that the time (clock) is not showing in the instrument display. I'll bet, since the car hasn't been driven much for several months, that the battery is dead.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

That's about where mine idles. The seatbelt indicator is up by the top of the tach. Not sure about the triangle - check iDrive for messages. What year is it? Warranty? CPO?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
One little observation > I see that the time (clock) is not showing in the instrument display. I'll bet, since the car hasn't been driven much for several months, that the battery is dead.
Good catch. You can likely bank on it given that the car has been sitting on lots for 9 months with people getting in and out.

OP: don't let them just charge it up and hand it off. If so, you will be stuck dealing with it later.

Quick Reply: BMW 550i. What I'm buying, Less than 500rpm at idle. Issue