E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bmw 545i noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw 545i noise

Hello everyone need some ideas where to start.

So every morning when I start the car for about 5-10 seconds I get this squealing/grinding noise and then it becomes very quite that I can only here it going from a stop and slowly accelerating and continues for about a mile. After words all is normal even on few hour drives until I let the car sit for 8+ hours. Also today in the morning I started the car without serpentine belt and no noise what so ever. Now im leaning towards a water pump or belt tensioner, also when I spin all the pulleys and alternator I hear no noise what so ever.

Btw. alternator was replaced about 6 months ago and all the pulleys, belts and water pump was replaced 4 months ago.

I don't know if im right or not but keep thinking since its only a temporary noise that I shouldn't start with water pump and go with replacing the pulleys that I already did not long ago

Thank you for any help.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM
New Members

Also when I spin the water pump pulley should it be completely quite because I can hear the propeller I guess spinning quietly but no wiggle or anything.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Squealing is commonly one of the belts slipping. If it stops when you remove the serpentine belt that is the place to start. Grinding is usually a bearing failing, and the belt may initially slip as it fights to rotate the bearing.

Assuming the belt physically looks good, check that the belt tension is set properly. With the belt installed you should be able to grip the belt and twist it about 90 degrees with your fingers. If you can twist it more than 90 degrees you may try adding some tension, although if a bearing is failing and beginning to tilt in and add slack to the belt, re-tensioning the belt will only accelerate the bearing failure.

Stretch belt on the AC compressor is a different story. About all you can do is make sure you have the correct belt.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:05 AM
New Members

Thanks for your reply

So yesterday I took out belt tensioner completely and cleaned the smooth part because it had some black residue that I couldn't really see when it was under it was almost like glue. Will also clean the idler pulley today as I can see some of that black residue on very side about two half in patches.

So basically retightened the tensioner and no noise what so over on start up. Let the car sit for the night and today in the morning started again no loud noise like before on start up until in neutral I raise the rpm to about 1.5k with window open same thing while drive and accelerate the noise come back for a little goes away and after about 5 minutes everything goes to normal like nothing happened. Basically no more loud squealing just hear it with window open.

Interesting about turning the belt 90 degrees because I kind of feel its loose but I can turn it over 90 but have to use a lot of force. My original thing was that my tensioner is not setting belt tight enough but from previous experience of breaking main bold on tensioner by turning the t60 opposite and tightening the main 16mm maybe making me not tighten it hard enough.

Also any idea if it could be power steering pump? but why would it stop after car is warm and also it doesn't make the noise any louder when I try to steer. Power steering pulley definitely not easy to turn when serpentine belt is off but I can turn it slowly and hear nothing.