E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 528 VS Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever compared these two vehicles?

I'm trying to decide between a base 528 vs a TL since both are in my price range, I've test driven both and liked them........just wanted to get some feedback from BMW owners

Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

Originally Posted by Ghostie' post='559292' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:27 PM

I'm trying to decide between a base 528 vs a TL since both are in my price range, I've test driven both and liked them........just wanted to get some feedback from BMW owners

Thanks
Don't get me wrong... I think Acuras are nice cars. But they don't really compare to a BMW 5-Series. I've driven both and the 5 series far exceeds the TL. I can't speak on the TL Type-S, which would probably be closer to a BMW. However, there is something about the way germans put the horsepower to the ground. Also, its nice to say "I drive a BMW 5-Series' when people ask what kind of car you have! Anyways... Its a personal decision. Good luck.

PS. Ever notice how the Acura logo is a bent Honda sign. HA!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BmW 545I, Titanium Gray, Black Interior with Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Sport Package.

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='559315' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:45 PM
Don't get me wrong... I think Acuras are nice cars. But they don't really compare to a BMW 5-Series. I've driven both and the 5 series far exceeds the TL. I can't speak on the TL Type-S, which would probably be closer to a BMW. However, there is something about the way germans put the horsepower to the ground. Also, its nice to say "I drive a BMW 5-Series' when people ask what kind of car you have! Anyways... Its a personal decision. Good luck.

i totally aagree i was deciding between a type-s and 545 that i got was a really easy choice acctually BMW for sure its just to SEXY and faster then type-s, and you can do hella stuff to eat make it even sicker
Old 04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by sIcK60' post='559335' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:08 PM
i totally aagree i was deciding between a type-s and 545 that i got was a really easy choice acctually BMW for sure its just to SEXY and faster then type-s, and you can do hella stuff to eat make it even sicker
Also something to consider is the issue of FWD Acura vs. RWD...or could get xi with AWD. Not an option on the Acura TL. After having driven FWD cars for my past 5 rides, I won't ever go back. I can't stand the torque-steer when you step on it.

Bottom-line: TL is faster, but I believe they are a bit dated looking and are ready for an overhaul soon. Don't get me wrong...nice car for the money. If you can swing it, check into base 535 if you want some extra power. I know we're talking above your TL ballpark, but you might be swayed if you drive one!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='559315' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:45 PM

Personally, I think the TL is a strong competitor to the 528. It's really at the higher end (535/550) where Acura loses out, with no V8 and no six cylinder turbo.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

My lil bro just bought a brand new Tl-S 2008.

The FWD ride is nice, the plus side is that almost

all the options comes with the TL without the extra cost.

But even my lil bro knows that it's not like a BMW.

The TL-S is a good car, the only problem I have is that

I think it dosent have as much room as the 5 series in the back seat

Just my POV.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 545iS SMG, Black on Brown... Carbon Grille. Navi. PDC. Htd Seats. HUD... Sunshades. Logic7. All Packages. 20%front-5%back........ ETC............................... Coming Soon: MTEC full kit, some wheels. ACS rear carbon spoiler. NAV TV.

I opened same discussion on Acura forum let's see what they say. I know Acura drivers are in love with their car as I was when I had one, but when I bought my self BMW it's not even comparable to Acura. Good luck with your choice!!!
Here's link: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread....010#post2018010
Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Wouldn't the TL be more comparable to the 3 series?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='559430' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:20 PM
Wouldn't the TL be more comparable to the 3 series?
Price-wise, yes....a bare bones one at that.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ghostie' post='559292' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks
Which one did you like better?
Which one did you think suited you better?
Do you want to have a car for a status symbol?

Depending on how you answer those... you will have your answer. My rule of thumb is always get a car that you really want but not based on what others may think you need.

As for my opinion.

I think for power to the ground RWD is the way to go... i have had a few FWDs and they drive very different.... different feel and i think its very inefficient to have FWD in the sub 200hp area.

As for reliability i think e60 vs tl i think tl would be a little better.

Where the bmw doesnt lack and would give tl the run for its money is when you start to DRIVE the car. It would give you better road feedback and better handling and the german ingenious in many small details of the car. If you want working cupholders to hold a big cup then e60 or other bmw would fail.

I personally liked the shape of the tl. But after driving one, it is quickly apparent its not a drivers car. It's a car that is comfortable and designed for people who like going from point A to B and like to be isolated from the elements including the road.

Good luck on your decision and future purchase.

P.S if you decide to go for a bmw, and you are a DRIVER... make sure to get sports package for sure. And if you can afford maybe a 535 with sports.

Quick Reply: BMW 528 VS Acura TL