E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMS PBX setting - you might think I'm weird...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Okay, so I've had the BMS Power Box for almost a year now. All this time I've had it on Map 3 (100% throttle mapping, Performance tuning on). I loved how it accelerates faster and the get up and go feel once you touch the throttle. Not to mention the added power the PBX gives. During that time I also monitored my MPG.

For the past week and a half, I decided to change to map 7 (throttle remapping disabled, performance tuning on) just to see how it affects my MPG. I gave the ECU a few days to get it used to the new setting. To my surprise I like how the car feels now. The power is still there no doubt, but I totally forgot how smooth the accelleration and the auto transmission was as stock. The lag is still there from stock, but right now the car feels really smooth so I may leave it there. Taking corners and accelerating is definately smoother.

BTW, I'm still monitoring my MPG on this setting. So far it's the MPG on Map 3 vs. Map 7 seems to be the same but I have to drive it more.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by balbs
Okay, so I've had the BMS Power Box for almost a year now. All this time I've had it on Map 3 (100% throttle mapping, Performance tuning on). I loved how it accelerates faster and the get up and go feel once you touch the throttle. Not to mention the added power the PBX gives. During that time I also monitored my MPG.

For the past week and a half, I decided to change to map 7 (throttle remapping disabled, performance tuning on) just to see how it affects my MPG. I gave the ECU a few days to get it used to the new setting. To my surprise I like how the car feels now. The power is still there no doubt, but I totally forgot how smooth the accelleration and the auto transmission was as stock. The lag is still there from stock, but right now the car feels really smooth so I may leave it there. Taking corners and accelerating is definately smoother.

BTW, I'm still monitoring my MPG on this setting. So far it's the MPG on Map 3 vs. Map 7 seems to be the same but I have to drive it more.
Sounds like a good test. Let me know.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the stupid pbx for a year on level 3. I was pretty much desperate for something to bring back some enjoyment into my driving again as I was getting no pleasure out of driving my car anymore. (prior 3 years I had gone for daily drives just for fun and loved every minute-another reason I learned I need a new car every 3 years from here on out). Anyway a couple months ago I just put the setting completely off so no "performance" and no throttle modulation. It actually feels so much better absolutely stock than the stupid pbx. absolutely NO difference in power and the thing honestly never proved to put out any power anyway. I am selling it now so wanted to turn it off for the new owner but just tells you all those tunes and such on a NA car is a complete waste. Why do we question bmw and their expertese! I know I have learned not to.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond
I had the stupid pbx for a year on level 3. I was pretty much desperate for something to bring back some enjoyment into my driving again as I was getting no pleasure out of driving my car anymore. (prior 3 years I had gone for daily drives just for fun and loved every minute-another reason I learned I need a new car every 3 years from here on out). Anyway a couple months ago I just put the setting completely off so no "performance" and no throttle modulation. It actually feels so much better absolutely stock than the stupid pbx. absolutely NO difference in power and the thing honestly never proved to put out any power anyway. I am selling it now so wanted to turn it off for the new owner but just tells you all those tunes and such on a NA car is a complete waste. Why do we question bmw and their expertese! I know I have learned not to.

Huh? What's going on? You sound like you're contradicting yourself based on your post here:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/105...st__p__1267299

"Its smoething you can argue until everyone is blue in the face but I have a pbx and cannot tolerate driving my car if I turn the box off-so I simply dont turn it off but every now and again Ill turn it off for a few days to remind myself of the difference.

The throttle response is spectacular-MUCH better and different than the spring booster. Whover pays 300 bucks for a sprint booster when all it does is boost the signal from the throttle and doesnt address the throttle map from the ecu is a big gullible person. I used to have a SB I bought used for 100 bucks and that was a waste.

the pbx for 300 bucks is a noticable power difference and the throttle is great. It also is not "just the throttle you feel" as you can turn "power off/throttle 100 percent response" and you feel the drastic loss of power compared to when it is "power on/throttle 100 percent""
Old 05-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

I actually used to love it but this past few months I dont know if it stopped working ( I dont believe so) or I just got used to it or it was all in my head. That is why these opinions are so subjective. Placebo has a lot to do with it. I think when its new, the vicious throttle response does feel pretty new and different and gives you a sense of power but as you harness it and get used to it you notice the actual power starts to feel no different. I dont know I liked mine but at this point prefer stock
Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Contributors

"and you feel the DRASTIC loss of power compared to when it is "power on/throttle 100 percent"

So you think that drastic feeling is a placebo?

It's a solid state device. It's either on or off. If it's broken, chances are is your car probably wouldn't even start.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by balbs
"and you feel the DRASTIC loss of power compared to when it is "power on/throttle 100 percent"

So you think that drastic feeling is a placebo?

It's a solid state device. It's either on or off. If it's broken, chances are is your car probably wouldn't even start.
Dude this is my opinion. if you like it great, I think its a joke and the throttle response alone was enough to simulate a power boost but after getting used to it I could consistently tell the power was no different when I would no longer be so sensitive to the sensitive throttle.

I am glad you like it-I was trying to enjoy my car again with any attempt and I realize that this car is never going to be as quick as I want it and have chosen to get rid of it and get something fast. Enjoy your pbx
Old 05-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Dude obviously you don't even know your own opinion. How can you go from it having a drastic feel to now be calling it a joke? You sound like one of your own so called "ignorant people making ignorant posts" and add to that, it's you making your own evaluation of the product. The product does what it says it does and just because you got "used to it" doesn't negate that.

Or, maybe it's just you exercising your typical habit of poisoning another thread which explains my reaction here.

That's my opinion. If you like it, great.