E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Black box on e60

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read from other boards and cnn that 65 to 90% of new cars have some sort of recording capability (aka "Black Box"). Does anyone know if the e60 has a "black box" that records data like speed, brake application and seat belt use, and, if so, what kind of data is stored in it, and where?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

AFAIK the car only has something like that for the error messages.
A real black box... I haven't heard about that yet...
I know you can add one to EVERY car, but I don't think any car has a black box as a standard...
Old 08-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

I think I've read somewhere that BMWs in Germany transmit some sort of information back to BMW through some sort of network? My memories about this are vague..
Old 08-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Almost all cars have black boxes now. The OEMs will require one or more ECUs to to keep a record(buffer) of information. Then, in the event of an accident, the ECU will store that information to be read later. This is all for legality sake, but if there was a problem with the airbag not going off, but the weight sensor in the seat not reading correctly, then the make of the airbag controller could ward off all lawsuits and direct those to the occupant detection supplier.

Or, lets say you get into an accident, and you say your seatbelt was faulty which is why you hit your head on the steering. There may be an ECU in the vehicle that has stored the data which contains seat belt switch information, and it may even be able to tell you how long it was buckled or unbuckled, or whether or not it was functional. I wouldn't call them a black box persay, but with all of the data that is stored in cars today, you can basically reconstruct the accident.

It has happened many times when people's front airbag didn't go off, and they feel it should. They may say they were going 40mph, but the wheelspeed sensor data will show that they were only traveling 15 and that the impact force (which is also recorded with satellite g-impact sensors) wasn't large enough to deploy the airbag. These cars are very sophisticated, and will only become more so in the future. Sorry for the long post...
Old 08-05-2004, 11:28 AM
sj3
Senior Members

I don't remember if I heard this from my '98 328i's service advisor or from the 540i guy, but the car does keep info like max rev's and max speed. Not sure what other info is kept. I also remember seeing posts during the initial stages of the M3's engine troubles (I'm not intimate with the subject). The dealers were using this 'black box' info to tell owners that they had mis-treated the engine.

Sam
Old 08-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Aug 5 2004, 09:28 PM
I don't remember if I heard this from my '98 328i's service advisor or from the 540i guy, but the car does keep info like max rev's and max speed. Not sure what other info is kept. I also remember seeing posts during the initial stages of the M3's engine troubles (I'm not intimate with the subject). The dealers were using this 'black box' info to tell owners that they had mis-treated the engine.

Sam
I remember that too...
but it's not a real black box, because it's not built for reconstructing accidents... It's there for other purpose...
Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

All cars from 1996 and up provide an OBDII connector where you can plug in and read diagnostics. There is a product called the CarChip that is basically a memory chip to log the data available through the ODBII interface.

Here's a link for detailed information on what CarChip can do.

Now BMW may have some onboard memory doing the same thing to allow techs to read certain data and I've talked to techs that said certain stuff is stored to be able to help troubleshoot and to be able to prove abuse if needed so I'm not too sure what might be there from the factory...

Here's information on where the OBD port is located:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SBT__E60___OBD_socket.pdf (81.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting info.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

The car in the pdf doesn't have the trunkbutton too. Can anybody see in TIS if the E60 is prewired for the button. I know that my old E46 wasn't.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 6 2004, 02:11 PM
The car in the pdf doesn't have the trunkbutton too. Can anybody see in TIS if the E60 is prewired for the button. I know that my old E46 wasn't.
That would indeed be great. I allready thought about getting a retrofit, because it really sux not having it, but having the space for the button.
If there would just be the pre-wiring, but I doubt it is...

Quick Reply: Black box on e60