E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bizarre CCC Malfunction - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61 Xi
Default Bizarre CCC Malfunction - Opinions?

I have an '08 535ix with what I think is a malfunctioning CCC. Right now there are two primary issues:
  • XM radio station list changes on occasion, with some stations disappearing from the list. If they are programmed to a "favorite" button, the car won't find the channel, but if you manually tune up or down, you can sometimes get the station.
  • The most recent nav DVDs do not work. The old ones work fine, but not the ones that I just purchased.

My shop suspects the CCC is on the way out, but I'm curious to know if this is something that is likely to get worse over time with the computer eventually dying or...?

If these are symptoms of an impending death, then I'm likely to go the route of CIC upgrade. If this is just some sort of anomaly that no one has ever noticed before, I'm less inclined to wait and see if anything happens; though I'll probably sell the nav DVDs since I can't use them.

Regardless, any thoughts would be appreciated.

-jg
Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 314 Likes on 301 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Have you had any upgrades lately? When was the last time you had an upgrade?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Have you had any upgrades lately? When was the last time you had an upgrade?
The unit was updated with the latest software flash back in November of last year, but it didn't have any effect.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by jglaze
I have an '08 535ix with what I think is a malfunctioning CCC. Right now there are two primary issues:
  • XM radio station list changes on occasion, with some stations disappearing from the list. If they are programmed to a "favorite" button, the car won't find the channel, but if you manually tune up or down, you can sometimes get the station.
  • The most recent nav DVDs do not work. The old ones work fine, but not the ones that I just purchased.

My shop suspects the CCC is on the way out, but I'm curious to know if this is something that is likely to get worse over time with the computer eventually dying or...?

If these are symptoms of an impending death, then I'm likely to go the route of CIC upgrade. If this is just some sort of anomaly that no one has ever noticed before, I'm less inclined to wait and see if anything happens; though I'll probably sell the nav DVDs since I can't use them.

Regardless, any thoughts would be appreciated.

-jg
Does it do it at random times, or does it only start to malfunction after the car/system has been running for a little while?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
Does it do it at random times, or does it only start to malfunction after the car/system has been running for a little while?
The Nav never works (except with the old DVDs) and the XM radio is more sporadic - there is no outside influence that I can tie to the system working or not. Otherwise, the system seems to function as it should.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

check to see if the CCC cooling fan is operating. the CCC drive will do all sorts of strange things if it runs too hot. If I remember correctly, the fan is serviceable independent of the entire drive. Your CCC drive could very well be on the way out, but checking the fan is cheap and easy.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Members

OBD adapter will tell you if fan is not working or CCC cooling fan when it comes on you can hear it spinning it's audible.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dv8ed
OBD adapter will tell you if fan is not working or CCC cooling fan when it comes on you can hear it spinning it's audible.
I don't believe that I've ever heard the cooling fan come on, actually...

I may just have to get used to it (and sell the nav DVDs); it's probably not worth spending the money to fix a problem that is otherwise solved by my phone (music and nav).
Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jglaze
I don't believe that I've ever heard the cooling fan come on, actually...

I may just have to get used to it (and sell the nav DVDs); it's probably not worth spending the money to fix a problem that is otherwise solved by my phone (music and nav).
Definitely check/replace the fan. the CCC drive will act all kinds of crazy if it starts to run warmer than its supposed to.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 AM
New Members

I was sitting in the car after shutting it off and heard a noise coming from the CCC after I had shut off the car. Either it's the sound of a spinning drive or could be the fan after all. Does anyone know the part number for the fan itself? I'm assuming once you pull off the necessary dash pieces, its a relatively straight forward install?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bizarre CCC Malfunction - Opinions?