E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bittersweet affair with 5 Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='218531' date='Jan 2 2006, 11:43 PM
iron is iron. Logic dictates that you are going to have x amount of problems on any brand on any given year.
Are you kidding me?!
Do you seriously think that a Daewoo is as reliable as a Lexus?!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Just for the record I haven't had a single problem with my 2006 5er, though I've only had it about 6 months. In fact I stop by the dealer just to say Hi and look at the other cars.
I agree with the other members about 1st year models probably having little new model problems, but when you see a new model you like its hard say I think I'll wait and see if there are any problems with this model.
I think if you love your BMW like the rest of us but are having reliability problems upgrade to a newer model. Your dealer will probably help you out and you'll be happy to have problem-less BMW.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='218568
iron is iron. Logic dictates that you are going to have x amount of problems on any brand on any given year.
Are you kidding me?!
Do you seriously think that a Daewoo is as reliable as a Lexus?!
[/quote]

I don't recall mentioning a f*@king daewoo. The point was that no matter how nice a car is, if you abuse the hell out of it, it will fail. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with first year or Infiniti or Lexus or kia or anything else. I'm not stupid. You don't need to point out the obvious differences in junk compared to luxury cars.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I would go for the '06 530i!

Japanese cars may be reliable but in everything else they miss the final touch of class.
And I just hate them for being copycats.

A IS350 Lexus is comperative to the 3-series BMW 330i.

Alternatives to the E60 would be the M-B E350 or Audi A6 3,2.
The M-B has serious electronic-, brake- and rusting problems.
The Audi is a deluxe VW so that only leaves the BMW as the real option.

BMW develops their cars all the time. Minor changes has for sure been done to a lot of details but the most important changes has been done to the cars safty.
In fall 2004 the car was tested in EuroNCAP and the result was not good.
BMW did some changes to the inner parts of the frontdoors, dashboard and they also changed the airbag system.
After these changes the car got four stars out of five (cars produced after Nov '04).
In US the car got excellent safty rates.

The second important change is the engine, of course.
In Europe the (old M54 engine) 525i has 192 hp and the (new N52 engine) 530i 258 hp
(in the 1-series the same engine has 265 hp and 315 Nm).
But most important thing about the enigine is its torque; the old 525i has 245 Nm at 3500 rpm and the new 530i has 300 Nm at only 2500 rpm.

The MY 2006 530i has also a more advanced DSC system called DSC+, the start/stop buttom (making it possible to order easy access) and chrome kidnes
Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Members

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Yesterday, I test drove the Lexus IS 350 and the Infiniti M45. I apologize if this offends any Lexus and/or Infiniti enthusiasts here, but neither came close to the performance, road connection, feel, or overall driving experience provided by my 2004 525i. Even the doors on my BMW swing heavier and surer, and close nicer. Each time I got back into my BMW after leaving the dealership I appreciated my 5 series even more. I'm not going to bother with the Mercedes E or the Audi A6, as it seems reasonable to believe that neither will provide improved reliability. The BMW, I'm afraid, is in my blood.

It also sounds, from your very helpful posts, that I'd be much better off with a 2006 530i, and that the kinks I'm experiencing have likely been worked out. The question now is how best to buy a new one. Is it smart to go to the dealer and explain my dissatisfaction with my current car's reliability, thereby hoping to score a better deal on the trade-in and/or purchase? Or is it best to say nothing?

Again, thanks to everyone for your time and thoughtfulness.

Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

WTG!
I think you should explore the possibility of trade-in. if not, just sell the car and get the one you want.
I don't think dealer will be sympathetic when you tell them you changing the car because it is very unreliable. They won't give you top$$ trade in value either.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Mike,

By all means, voice your dissatisfaction/unhappiness to the dealer and if their response is unsatisfactory then take it to the next level..... BMWNA. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Remember, the squeaky wheel has ALWAYS gotten the oil.

Martin
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

Originally Posted by turnbowm' post='218677' date='Jan 3 2006, 08:31 AM
Mike,

By all means, voice your dissatisfaction/unhappiness to the dealer and if their response is unsatisfactory then take it to the next level..... BMWNA. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Martin
Well said.

Again, it always depends on the dealer, however I would not hesitate to relay your concerns over reliablity about your trade in. You will definatley get a good deal on your next one.

Also, with the new warranty and service for 3 years, you can't go wrong. If you lease it, you'll have no worries.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Captain Tenneal' post='218696
Mike,

Martin
Well said.

Again, it always depends on the dealer, however I would not hesitate to relay your concerns over reliablity about your trade in. You will definatley get a good deal on your next one.

Also, with the new warranty and service for 3 years, you can't go wrong. If you lease it, you'll have no worries.
[/quote]

I agree!

Good luck Mike Nesbit on your business negotiations

If you are really patient go for a April built car. There might be some minor
changes in the spring. (BMW usually makes them in March.)