E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bittersweet affair with 5 Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have read this forum for about 15 months, and it was the enthusiasm of you all that persuaded me to purchase a 2004 525i in August of 2004. I had always dreamed of owning a BMW after driving a friend's old, orange 2002 more than 20 years ago.

Simply put, my 525 is the greatest, most perfect car I've ever driven. The things I care about - road feel, connection to the driving experience, balance - are a revelation to me. I made a mistake in not buying the 530 - my car is a bit underpowered - but there's rarely a day that passes when I do not announce aloud - even if I'm in the car alone - that this is the best car I've ever driven. I feel a real connection to BMW.

That said, I am at my wit's end with my beautiful 525. Yesterday, an airbag/passenger restraint sensor warning came on - the fifth time this has happened in 15 months. On the same day, the glove compartment latch broke, leaving me locked out of that area. When I take the car in to this week, it will mark the sixth time I have had to see the dealer for these kinds of niggling repairs. On each occasion, there has been at least three things wrong with the car. I have the kind of job that just can't sustain this kind of disruption.

My friend, the one who let me drive his 2002 back in the early 1980s, is urging me to trade up to a 2006 530i. He thinks that BMW must have worked out the kinks that caused my 2004 version - the one that got a full black circle for reliability - and that the 2006 version must be more reliable, and with a much increased boost in horsepower to boot.

But I have to say, I feel stung by my experience with my 525. That leaves me with two questions, if you all might be so kind.

Given my inability to deal well with reliability issues, should I consider upgrading to the 2006 530? And, more importantly, and I hope this doesn't offend any of the enthusiasts here, what other manufacturer's car might I consider, roughly in the 5 Series price range, that might give me a better shot at reliability while still providing (at least) some of the BMW's character that I've come to love so much? A friend has suggested I check out the Lexus IS350. What do you think? I'm a reasonably big guy so I've really enjoyed the feeling of space I get in my 525.

I thank you so much for considering this post, and am grateful for any replies. This is a real tough one for me, but I'm so incredibly frustrated with this beautiful car now.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

What is the precise date of your 2004? If its september i do wonder whether the 525 from september 2004 all had defects.

Without going into too much detail im in a simliar situation as yourself and wondering whether the newer models have had the kinks worked out....

oh and what do you mean about the 'full black circle' thing?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Members

I had a 2004 545ia that had a number of problems. BMW was kind enough to allow me to return the car and replaced it with a new 545ia built in April of 2005. Car is far superior, and the problems do no longer appear. I am a great believer that BMW tweeks and improves on the model in each successive year.
The only problem I have had in 15,000 miles on the new car is that the rear window blew out. BMW believes this was due to the rear defroster creating a temperature differential that caused the window to blowout due to a manufacturing defect in the glass. They once again did the right thing and replaced the windoew at no cost to me.
A lot depends on the concern and dependability of the dealer. I have the best dealer of any at Darien BMW in Darien Ct. USA. They don't come any better. If you live in the N.Y City Greater Metro. area or Ct., this is the only place to buy your BMW.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Is there a list somewhere of the changes that took place to the 2005 model.

For example : My 2004 does not have the little SOS button next to the bluetooth mic on the roof.... I drove a 2005 that did.

In addition i dont have servotronic steering. A 2005 one did and apparently all do as standard.

I also heard that the 2005 has numerous safety differences to the 2004..

Does anyone have a full list?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Mike,

Thats unfortunate. Hard to make a suggestion as to what to do because of the quality problems.
I had a 2004 E60 with the older in-line 6 - the M54 engine like your current car. I only had it 11 months but nothing went wrong with it other that the RFT's being rough. And I thought the engine was a smooth operator.

I took a test drive of a 523i with the new N52 engine in June and couldn't believe the difference. The engine itself was enough to warrant a change. Couldn't believe the improvement over the M54. I had to have one so I'm now driving a 523i. And I changed to standard tyres. It's a completely different car now. Much happiness now. (Although I think there may be a few more rattles that my previous steed)

If u have the budget to change, I would highly recommend changing for a new E60.

Otherwise, your options are GS300, E-Class or A-6. They seem to be the obvious contenders and the class wannabees.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Mike Nesbit' post='218273' date='Jan 2 2006, 11:53 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have read this forum for about 15 months, and it was the enthusiasm of you all that persuaded me to purchase a 2004 525i in August of 2004. I had always dreamed of owning a BMW after driving a friend's old, orange 2002 more than 20 years ago.

Simply put, my 525 is the greatest, most perfect car I've ever driven. The things I care about - road feel, connection to the driving experience, balance - are a revelation to me. I made a mistake in not buying the 530 - my car is a bit underpowered - but there's rarely a day that passes when I do not announce aloud - even if I'm in the car alone - that this is the best car I've ever driven. I feel a real connection to BMW.

That said, I am at my wit's end with my beautiful 525. Yesterday, an airbag/passenger restraint sensor warning came on - the fifth time this has happened in 15 months. On the same day, the glove compartment latch broke, leaving me locked out of that area. When I take the car in to this week, it will mark the sixth time I have had to see the dealer for these kinds of niggling repairs. On each occasion, there has been at least three things wrong with the car. I have the kind of job that just can't sustain this kind of disruption.

My friend, the one who let me drive his 2002 back in the early 1980s, is urging me to trade up to a 2006 530i. He thinks that BMW must have worked out the kinks that caused my 2004 version - the one that got a full black circle for reliability - and that the 2006 version must be more reliable, and with a much increased boost in horsepower to boot.

But I have to say, I feel stung by my experience with my 525. That leaves me with two questions, if you all might be so kind.

Given my inability to deal well with reliability issues, should I consider upgrading to the 2006 530? And, more importantly, and I hope this doesn't offend any of the enthusiasts here, what other manufacturer's car might I consider, roughly in the 5 Series price range, that might give me a better shot at reliability while still providing (at least) some of the BMW's character that I've come to love so much? A friend has suggested I check out the Lexus IS350. What do you think? I'm a reasonably big guy so I've really enjoyed the feeling of space I get in my 525.

I thank you so much for considering this post, and am grateful for any replies. This is a real tough one for me, but I'm so incredibly frustrated with this beautiful car now.

Thanks.
Welcome. Nice/considerate write up. I think that buying almost any car is something of a crap shoot--sometimes you win sometimes your lose on the reliability dimension. If I were you, I would go with the car that tends to win the reliability shoot outs since reliability is such an issue to you. I think the IS350 is a very nice car, but it is a first-year model. You might consider both the Infinity M45 and M35. Both are very nice, well priced, provide excellent performance, and have been out for a while. And, as has already been mentioned to you, Lexuses are very dependable in general. You might want to check this thread out.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

2006 model should be a lot more reliable than the 2004...

I woudnt get a IS 350 thats in the 3 series legue... smaller get the Lexus GS or the Infiniti M35/45
Old 01-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mike Nesbit' post='218273' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:53 AM
And, more importantly, and I hope this doesn't offend any of the enthusiasts here, what other manufacturer's car might I consider, roughly in the 5 Series price range, that might give me a better shot at reliability while still providing (at least) some of the BMW's character that I've come to love so much? A friend has suggested I check out the Lexus IS350. What do you think? I'm a reasonably big guy so I've really enjoyed the feeling of space I get in my 525.

Thanks.
Hello,

Lexus 350 is an excellent car, and one that has excellent straightline acceleration. However IMHO, the car that comes closest, in size and in handling feel, to your current car is the Infinity M series. Either the M35, or better yet the M45.

While it's still not quite a BMW, I think the M comes closest in steering, handling feel, and suspension setup to the 5 series among the premium brands. And that M45 is actually much better than your 525 in power/acceleration. Most likely, it will be more reliable. I would definitely arrange a test drive. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I know exactly how you feel. I have a 8/04 built car and driving wise, its the best I have ever owned.
BUT - it has been in for repairs 4 times in one year and I have somewhat lost confidence in the car.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributors

I think it's always recommended that one does not buy a car in its first year of production. That being said, I was lucky to get a 2004 that does not have any problems...other than what I've experienced outside of service from body shops and insurance companies. I think you would NOT regret getting an '06 530 with the new engine. You'll also appreciate the additional horse power. Many cars are comparable and even faster, but you'll not get the same bmw feel that is often discussed in publications. Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Bittersweet affair with 5 Series