E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bit scary

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Over the last couple of weeks I've been pushing it a bit harder than normal on my way to and from work, and whilst the performance is a constant source of joy i've found that she goes to pieces in the twisties. I kind of get a floating, disconnected feeling when i need to feel tied down and in contact. I haven't got dynamic drive - i wonder whether this would make any difference - any experiences out there?

jonboy
Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I never had that feeling so far...
Old 11-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Do you have the Sport package? I can't tell from your signature.

Either way, the 5 is one of the best handling cars out there (especialy for it's size).
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>And yes... I mean ALL of the 5's - not just the 545.</span>
It is due in great part to the near 50/50 weight distribution and great chassis dynamics.
Which leads me to believe that it could be incorrect tire pressure.
If that's not the case, it could be driver related.
Please don't take offense. What I am trying to say is that even the best handling cars can "go to pieces" in the twisties if the corners are not taken correctly (or at least somewhat close to correctly).

If you can describe what you mean by "going to pieces" maybe some of us can help.
If it doesn't seem to want to turn (i.e. understeer) then you may be going into the corner too fast, or too early, or both.

If it is hanging the ass-end out then you have other issues (and a whole lot of fun if done right)

Having had Active Steering dial in some opposite lock "for me" on a couple of occasions and having had some past track experience (not with this car) I can say that this car DOES handle quite well. (Better than my e-36 M3's, IMHO).

I'd love to help you, but I need more information.

Oops. Read the post fully After typing. Sorry.
Appears that you don't have active steering (sport package).
Check the tire pressures first, but floaty and disconnected could be that you may be "over driving" the tires. Are you on 17" or 18"? Sport tires or All-Seasons? That could be it.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by jonboy' date='Nov 20 2004, 04:24 PM
Over the last couple of weeks I've been pushing it a bit harder than normal on my way to and from work, and whilst the performance is a constant source of joy i've found that she goes to pieces in the twisties. I kind of get a floating, disconnected feeling when i need to feel tied down and in contact. I haven't got dynamic drive - i wonder whether this would make any difference - any experiences out there?

jonboy
[snapback]58508[/snapback]
Yes check the tire pressure, everytime I get my car back from the dealer they raise the front tire pressure presumbably so you won't fishtail. This will give the car a slower handling dynamic as the front will plow more. Can't tell if you drive normally but at the edge of adhesion limits you can feel it. Without the sports package maybe run a few extra pounds of tire pressure in the rear and you will feel the difference with a more balanced feel.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I have the sportpackage and had the same feeling when going through highspeed turns in Germany but that was at a speed of 200 km/h+

I think it has to do with the runflat tires and 18 inch wheels. With my 17 inch wheels and wintertires (also runflats). The car feels more stable in fast turns..
Old 11-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Nov 20 2004, 05:41 PM
I have the sportpackage and had the same feeling when going through highspeed turns in Germany but that was at a speed of 200 km/h+

I think it has to do with the runflat tires and 18 inch wheels. With my 17 inch wheels and wintertires (also runflats). The car feels more stable in fast turns..
[snapback]58541[/snapback]
That is counter intuitive as the 18" wheels have a smaller and stiffer sidewall height
and less voids in the tread which would result in less squirm and more precise handling. But you feel what you feel.
I have experienced when friends make performance modifications to their cars or motorcycles, usually header and exhaust mods, but don't remap the fuel systems or balance the intake and even though the vehicle sounds louder and more powerful they are actually slower. But they still feel they are faster.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Some of the forum member have changed the exhaust system and hp gains. Would the fuel system still need to be remapped or the intake balanced on the E60? How would that be done?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Nov 20 2004, 06:59 PM
Some of the forum member have changed the exhaust system and hp gains. Would the fuel system still need to be remapped or the intake balanced on the E60? How would that be done?
[snapback]58572[/snapback]
Exhaust changed: yes. Remapped: no. It would need to be done with some aftermarket tuner stuff (Dinan, etc.). My thought is that it is more important to have the computer remapped when there are modifications on the intake side than the exhaust side. I could be talking out of my ass however.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

[And yes... I mean ALL of the 5's - not just the 545.]

Thanks Realtyman!!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Senior Members

thanks guys

checked the tyre pressures and the fronts were marginally too high- i'll let you know if that makes the difference.

To explain the feeling it's on fast (60 mph) slightly undulating and poorly surfaced roads. It feels like lack of damping going into a curve, I can't feel the front tyres bite and she never settles into the corner.

I haven't taken offence at the driving skill point, I don't really regard myself as a "wheel-man" but even at an average level of skill I didn't get that feeling in my old M3. Maybe that is where the problem is, I'm expected M3 handling in bigger, much heavier car.

Apart from that she's a beaut, although the handling point has got me thinking about a 997/996TT

jonboy

Quick Reply: A bit scary