E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Birth Place of E60

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jun 13 2005, 12:05 AM
[quote name='lcc014' date='Jun 12 2005, 07:46 PM']I was told by a friend that most of the BMW are made in USA and then put onto a big ship.? The ship will travel a big U-turn from USA back to USA port such as New Jersey ...

He told me that his trusted MB (Benz) dealer told him this story.? Is this true ?? He was very sure that X3 and X5 are doing this kind of trick ????

He then said that all MB were made in German !!!!? I doubted that especially it was from the mouth of MB dealer.

Any way to confirm that our E60 or most of the BMW are made in German and then ship to USA ?
[snapback]138917[/snapback]
What an idiot he is for believing such nonsense. Hmm, ship the cars across the the atlantic and then ship them back??????.

X5 and Z4 are made in the USA. Trucked in USA and shipped to the rest of the world from the USA. It is clearly written on the sticker and is no secret. The E60 is made in Germany and also in Egypt. There may be other factories in the east but I am not sure which models they make.
[snapback]138947[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did not say to believe that kind of say. Otherwise, I would not post this question in this forum to ask for comments and answer. Please think twice before using the word "idiot".

Thanks,
Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

ALL E60's are made in Dingolfing, Germany. There are NO OTHER places where they build E60's!

The X5 is made in the USA. So, when we order a X5 in Germany, it comes across the Atlantic Ocean from the USA.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

to my knowledge,
e60 in China for the Chinese domestic market is made in Shanghai. this is from a BMW magazine article a couple of months ago.
i also read that the 7 series is 'built' in Thailand for the local Thai market. the fleet of 7 series of the Bangkok Oriental Hotel is built in Thailand, they have the largest commercial fleet of 7 series limosines in the world.

the e90 is built in leipzig BMW's new plant, but they are also produced in Pretoria SA. BMW is very proud of its facility in SA, which has improved significantly since its inception. i drove a e46 325i from SA and find it to be every bit as soild and well built as any other 3 series from Germany.

in the main BMW plant in Dingolfing, they make the 5, 6 and 7 plus all the M models.

X5, (Z3) and Z4 are from the United States, the X5s are so well built that it wins awards one after the next and its reliabilty has proven itself. no worries if its not made in Germany but its soul definitely is.

i am unsure where the X3 is made, but thought to be from germany.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Jun 13 2005, 08:59 AM
the e90 is built in leipzig BMW's new plant, but they are also produced in Pretoria SA. BMW is very proud of its facility in SA, which has improved significantly since its inception. i drove a e46 325i from SA and find it to be every bit as soild and well built as any other 3 series from Germany.

in the main BMW plant in Dingolfing, they make the 5, 6 and 7 plus all the M models.

[snapback]139016[/snapback]

The E90 is built in Munich, Leipzig, Regensburg and Pretoria South Africa

The Rosslyn plant in Pretoria was won the Internal BMW quality award for more than 5 years in a row. Australia reported that defects from the factory droped by 80% when they swopped from getting cars from germany to getting cars from South Africa

Out of the M's only M5 are produced in Dingolfing, M3 are produced in Regensburg

X3 is made in Austria
Old 06-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Jun 13 2005, 08:59 AM

[snapback]139016[/snapback]
The E90 is also built at the Munich (sedans) plant as well as the Regensburg plant (sedans, coupes, cabrios).

Dingolfing does make all the 5ers, 6ers, and 7ers, but they only make the "M" variants of the 5er and 6er there. The other "M" variants are built "in-line" at their respective production facility. E.G. the M3 is built in Regensburg where the 3er coupe is built, and the (ex) MZ3 coupe and roadster were built in Greer, South Carolina where the Z3 was (and Z4 is) built.

The X3 is actually built by Magna-Steyr in Graz, Austria. Magna-Steyr has a very long history of providing outsourced production to companies like Saab, Mercedes Benz, and Chrysler, and they have an excellent reputation for building AWD vehicles. BMW chose Steyr to build the X3 because they could ramp up their existing facility faster (and cheaper) than BMW could build new capacity into their production network. In my experience with our new X3, I can say that the build quality from the Steyr facility is the equal of the build-quality of my Dingolfing-built 545 and of my Regensburg-built 330i. BMW provides Steyr with all the specs for the interior materials and all the design and engineering documents, as well as all the engines and power train bits.

www.bmwgroup.com has a large portion of the site dedicated to discussing their production network, including what is built at all the various plants.

For example, BMW's engine production is split among 3 facilities: one in England produces all the petrol 4-pots, one in Austria makes all of the "regular" I6's (petrol and diesel) and the 4-pot diesels, and the engine shop in Munich makes all the "M" motors, as well as all the V8's and V12's

-MrB
Old 06-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Members

lcc014:
What was your buddies intention or his dealer's. I assume you live in the U.S? Is your buddy insinuating that American workers are ignorant and lazy? If it is built in the U.S. it must be a piece of crap! All Americans are slugs! Wouldn't that include your buddy and his MB dealer? They too must fit that stereotype!

I recently visited the South Carolina factory where ALL X5s and Z4s are made and exported to other countries. All Z3's were also made there as well as the 318. I feel more confident than ever that the X5 and the Z4 are built to the same standards as bimmers built in Germany. Why wouldn't they be? They are bimmers regardless of what nationality of human builds them. My family heritage is German and I have great respect for the German people but as an American I would take it as an offense if someone insinuated that just because it is built here it must mean it is inferior. American cars are crap (for the most part) because American car companies are crap(my opinion) not because American workers are lazy and stupid. (The Union helps too!)

One note about BMWs South Carolina plant. They were the first foreign car company to export vehicles from the U.S. to other countries. As an American that makes me even more proud to own a BMW. Especially with "American" car companies starting to import there own cars into America. To me that seems wrong. The ratio of X5s exported from SC is 60/40. Quite a substantial number.

Sorry I had to release. I dislike Car salesmen..especially pompass MB jerk offs!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I really don't care where my E60 was made. It could be China for all I care. I think Chinese workers are, or at least could be trained easily to be the same as their German counterparts, and be more efficient in the meantime.

The world is ridiculing "Made in China" products just like they did with "Made in Japan" and "Made in Taiwan" products back in time. You don't hear that now.

Now, everything you use seems to be made in China. We all are enjoying the lower costs of living brought by the lower costs of everyday-products made by this country. I don't have any problems with that!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jun 13 2005, 09:40 AM
ALL E60's are made in Dingolfing, Germany. There are NO OTHER places where they build E60's!
[snapback]139009[/snapback]
Technically, that's correct. The China plant (mentioned earlier) that "builds" E60's only assembles them from a "kit" format that was still built in Dingolfing. Since the final assembly is done in China, there are significant savings on taxes, etc.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

After posting the above, I found some more information about the Shenyang Plant in China. It seems that the plant does do some manufacturing (not just assembly) but according to page 12 of the .pdf found on this page from BMW Group, the E60 bodies are assembled and shipped from Dingolfing due to the complexities of manufacturing the Low Weight Aluminum Front Section (LWAFS).

Click here for a direct link to the .pdf file. (It's too big to post here...)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Gee I wonder what the VIN tells me - Oh yea, country of manufacture (position 1), and plant (position 11)

I just love how urban legends get started and promulgate through the masses.

All the pictures and descriptions of plant tours at Dingolfing, Germany during ED were brought to you by the same folks that produced "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

Quick Reply: Birth Place of E60