E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Big gash in run-flat tyre and still driving at high speeds for 2 days&

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Originally Posted by thefatalrisk' post='672151' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Hondik: I'm in Australia (the road conditions are great here).

snkpkp: I was fortunate enough to have my sister and my mother pay for the majority of the car. Its not always the case where expensive car = rich owner. I'm not trying to chase a 'sympathy deal.'

xBMWx: That 180kmph ride could have been catastrophic! Glad nothing untoward happened. I'm not sure about non-RFT tyres, but the flat RFT tyre that I had look just as inflated as all the rest. But it had zero pressure. Which is why the automatic tyre pumps at the gas/petrol station weren't pumping/sensing anything. Apparently them pumps need some tyre pressure in order to read tyre pressure and pump.

Rudy: Yeah, I think you're spot on. The guy at the tyre factory showed me a little dent where a nail possibly could have gone through. The rest of the damage would've most likely have been secondary as you say. Yes I have stopped driving it for now, haha.

I still assume that I'll be okay with running non-RFT's on the rear and keeping front RFTs as is?

Regards

Heya I'm from Australia too! Where abouts in Australia? Me from Melbourne!

Anyway, I seriously suggest you change the tires to a non-RF! I changed mine over from a RFT as soon as they were done to a non-RF! The car became more grippy, quieter, more comfortable! All the negative side about choppy ride from a 5 Series was gone and only had the positive left! And the price of tires would be cheaper too! And besides, you get a spare in the boot anyway (unless you're EXTREMELY unlucky and get punctured more than one tire!)
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezzster' post='1082675' date='Jan 1 2010, 10:30 PM
Hi,

I'd like to ask how you ended up going with your tyre choice since this original post?

I have a 2006 530d sport which now has a completely flat rear left tyre. I can't see any visible gash or hole yet, but I've not really looked carefully. It won't fill up with any air though, even if you press the 'for flat tyres' button on the air compressor.

My car has never ridden well with run-flats - even at low-ish speeds (~50km/h) the entire car can skip sideways when taking a corner that has corrugations/other bumps in the road. I've heard before that the E60's suspension wasn't tuned for run-flats until late in its model life (MY08 onwards?), which would suggest why my car behaves this way. And by extension, that I'd be better off with regular tyres (which are also a lot more affordable).

I'd be very keen to learn how your car has gone since your tyre replacement. Did you end up putting 2 non-RFT's or a full set of either RFT's or non-RFT's? Which tyres did you buy and have you found them good?

Thanks
Just further to my post, if it happens to be of use to anyone, I ended up replacing all four tyres with non-RFT's. This was after reading relevant posts on this topic from honestjohns.co.uk and BMW Land forums also in the UK.

As those posts, and others on local 3-series forums, had indicated, the switch to non-RFT's has been great. The car is a lot smoother, road noise is down, and the handling characteristics only improved as far as I can tell. Threats from local chain tyre companies like Beaurepaires and Bog Jane's that the car's handling would be dramatically altered for the worse, being mushy and wallowy, are unfounded, at least in the case of a 2006/07 build E60 sport.

In terms of tyre choice, I ended up going for the latest Yokohama Advan A13's, primarily as it was the best value from all the equivalent level performance tyres in its range (e.g. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical's, Falken FK452's, Dunlop SP SportMaxx GT). They were AU$250 each, fitted and balanced. I do know though that they're unlikely to last for many km's (35,000 is the estimate provided by the tyre guy), but they're quiet and are meant to have excellent braking and handling, particularly in the wet, which is what I was after. The Falkens were actually the same price but they didn't have them in stock.