E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Ecu Problem On New Bmw 5 Series! Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a BMW 530d (E60) 2005 end of last year and ive been loving it until now. I was parked near an electric fence at work and it?s zapped my car and fooked up my ECU according to my auto electrician. Ive been lucky enough to obtain a used ecu off a written off 5 series which is the same model as mine.
My auto election has done a few tweeks here and there and has managed to get my ignition to come on but he says I will have to replace my ecu.
What I want to do now is copy all my information from my old ecu to my new ecu, as the new ecu has the previous keepers chassi number and security details for his fob etc on it.
Ive done a bit of research and I?m thinking ill need a KWP2000 to read and write to the ECU?s. I?m just wondering what software will I need.
I have advanced experience with flashing and electronics, so learning what to do shouldn?t be too difficult with some tutorials and a little help.

Look forward to your replies
Thanks
Old 03-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

If your old ECU has been "zapped" how do you know its even readable?

I have found a website that remaps ecus. I need to find it again and post the link. The alternative would be a visit to your local dealer.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by rj4eva' post='401080' date='Mar 10 2007, 11:57 AM
Bought a BMW 530d (E60) 2005 end of last year and ive been loving it until now. I was parked near an electric fence at work and it?s zapped my car and fooked up my ECU according to my auto electrician. Ive been lucky enough to obtain a used ecu off a written off 5 series which is the same model as mine.
My auto election has done a few tweeks here and there and has managed to get my ignition to come on but he says I will have to replace my ecu.
What I want to do now is copy all my information from my old ecu to my new ecu, as the new ecu has the previous keepers chassi number and security details for his fob etc on it.
Ive done a bit of research and I?m thinking ill need a KWP2000 to read and write to the ECU?s. I?m just wondering what software will I need.
I have advanced experience with flashing and electronics, so learning what to do shouldn?t be too difficult with some tutorials and a little help.

Look forward to your replies
Thanks

I think you should enter into an arugment with your dealer.

Who says the electric fence is responsible, and even if it is, the ECU should be protected from outside electrical inteference.

Where is the warning in the handbook not to park near or drive past an electric fence?

If car is under warranty, do not accept that you should be the one to pay for repairs.

Who owns the fence, is it defective? should the owners of the fence pay for the damage.

Once you start fixing your ECU yourself you will invalidate any warranty should it die in the future.

Think carefully about your next step.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='401085' date='Mar 10 2007, 02:11 PM
If your old ECU has been "zapped" how do you know its even readable?

I have found a website that remaps ecus. I need to find it again and post the link. The alternative would be a visit to your local dealer.
Normally, a new (empty) DME could be programmed with SSS system, according to your VIN number.
I can't understand, where is your problem? Do you want to make it somehow by yourself?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

I took it to the dealers and they identified some burns on the circuitry and that wires have been tampered with as my electrician had to replaced the burnt wires as they were melted, so my warrenty is void. I think i can claim through insurance but thats the last option as my premiums are already through the roof.

Any body know of the software i will need and am i correct in thinking the KWP2000 will read and write to my ECU?

i think the ecu is grounded to the car etc thats how it got zapped. im not sure if it will read but i will not know unless i try something. so im willing to shell out for the equiptment to find out.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by rj4eva' post='401123' date='Mar 10 2007, 06:26 PM
I took it to the dealers and they identified some burns on the circuitry and that wires have been tampered with as my electrician had to replaced the burnt wires as they were melted, so my warrenty is void.
What in the the world did you do?

The repairs will be very expensive and if did mess yourself with the
wirering, the insurance might not pay!

Where are you from and what car do you have?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Members

I couldnt be bothered with the hassle so i told insurance company that the car has been niked. so if anyone wants a e60 for spares and repairs send me a pm
Old 03-20-2007, 03:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

You told your insurance the car has been stolen? Are you serious or just joking with us?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rj4eva' post='404887' date='Mar 20 2007, 10:50 AM
I couldnt be bothered with the hassle so i told insurance company that the car has been niked.
I'm going to Reebok mine - it's cheaper.

ABC
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I just hope you are not with the same insurface company I am with. Otherwise, I will pay for i.... like you with my premiums....

Quick Reply: Big Ecu Problem On New Bmw 5 Series! Plz Help!