E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Sell a BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Now that the order is placed for MY07 550i, I need to sell my baby. She's been a beaut for 4 years and rarely let me down but I know it is time to say goodbye. I need to move on to a 4.8 liter V8 manual, and thus, its time to let her go.

So, big question is what is she worth and how can I get that from potential buyers?

She's got very low miles for a 4 yr old (39K), and never been in an accident. She was crunched by a tree outside my house and had about $4,000 in body damage done to trunk and rear, but she's no worse for the wear; body shop did an amazing job with her Jet Black exterior. She's got all service papers and what few maintenance stops I have ended up being routine stuff. She never broke down, caused a panic, or yelled at me (OK so I am crossing over and comparing her to my wife now).

She has mid to minor parking garage dents on her rear bumper - maybe 8 spots. Noticeable and touched up as much as possible. One .5 inch ding (no broken paint) on her drivers door, and a small tear (1cm) on the inside passenger door handle. Finally some very minor paint flecks off hood and front bumper. Extremely small and altogether, hard to see any flaws except bumper.

Now to this forum these are serious offenses, but after I washed her today, she looks as good as ever. I'm thinking the minor bumps and bruises can't take away from an engine that is barely broken in and way under typical miles (KBB says 59K is average). I plan on a professional wax and interior wash to prep for selling, engine too.

She's got all options from her year - sport/prem/xenon/cold/STEP/Yoko AVS tires less than year old. Rims have some wear. Jet Black on black interior - really sharp in the e39 530 with sport package and all that black trim and sport wheels.

KBB says anywhere from $29K-26K private sell - dealer $32K-30K. Cars.com local selling averge is exactly between these - from $33K to $26K. I am thinking closer to $29,995 simply based on miles but I have no experience selling a BMW.

Someone "BMW" educated would love this car with low miles, but un-educated non-BMW person might overlook low miles and focus on bumper and alike. I do have an option to get bumper cleaned up - might be as much as $500; but may be worth it - again I'm just not sure.

So let me know what you know about selling your used BMW, what to watch out for, and any advice in terms of getting what I think she is worth. Thanks. WMB
Old 03-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Contributors

I posted my old 740i on cars.com. I think it cost about $50.
I received 4 phone calls/emails in the first 4 hours (on a Saturday).

I would post it in as many place as you can find ... including maybe a BMW forum for that model.

Go ahead and set a price near the high end ... no matter what price you set, potential buyers will always try and talk you down anyway.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='252431' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:21 PM
I posted my old 740i on cars.com. I think it cost about $50.
I received 4 phone calls/emails in the first 4 hours (on a Saturday).

I would post it in as many place as you can find ... including maybe a BMW forum for that model.

Go ahead and set a price near the high end ... no matter what price you set, potential buyers will always try and talk you down anyway.

Good luck.
Was the ultimate buyer one of those four phone calls/emails?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

What you need is excact marketing.

Seems like you car is a special one.

A "old" car in mint condition always finds a buyer.
You just need to find the right one.

Have you offered it to your local BMW Club(s)?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

I just sold my two cars. I listed them on AUTOTRADER, CARS.COM and CRAIGSLIST.

The M3 sold via CARS.COM
and the Z3 sold via CRAIGSLIST.

BUT I had to do some of my own marketing as well. It is not easy to sell these cars, especially with the colors I had. So I made my own websites, with links to them on all online ads. That HELPED a lot. Here are my links:

http://m3.compsx.com
http://z3.compsx.com
Old 03-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Don't overlook Craigslist.org. Have had very good luck with it on high-end apartment rental; a nicer audience. And heck, it's free.

good luck
Ray Hull
Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='252434' date='Mar 9 2006, 05:25 PM
Was the ultimate buyer one of those four phone calls/emails?
Not exactly. As I was washing the car to get it ready to show two of the callers the next morning, a neighbor walked by and said "hey, that car is looking sweet!" I told him why I was detailing it and he made me an offer. Sold!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi

I sold my previous car on cars.com within 3 weeks. I paid somewhere between 50-60 dollars (can't remember exactly) and this was my only form of advertisement. Make sure you set your price reasonably or else people won't call.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Dang I'm having problems selling mine on Autotrader... not one call since its been listed.

KBB and Nada guides says private sale for excellent is $23K I listed it for $22K and no calls at all... whats up with that? Oh wells...

Good luck with yours anyways...

I might try Craigslist now since you guys are suggesting...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='252484' date='Mar 9 2006, 07:02 PM
What you need is excact marketing.

Seems like you car is a special one.

A "old" car in mint condition always finds a buyer.
You just need to find the right one.

Have you offered it to your local BMW Club(s)?
I did, National Capitol Area - I need to get pics posted.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Sell a BMW?