E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to clean rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When standing next to my car and looking at my rims all looks good (except the brake dust). When I bend over to clean them, though, I can see tiny little scratches that I assume is from me cleaning the dust off the rims. I've tried a couple different ways to clean them but want to see what others have come up with as the easiest to do and the easiest on my rims. Thanks.

Andy
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

spraying wheel cleaner on the rims is the easiest, but the acid in it may effect the finish after many uses.

i was told using simple green is a good safe alternative, and wont attack the surface, but may require a little more elbow grease.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BravAuto has this on their blog last week.

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/spec...eels-and-tires
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i recommend this stuff called P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner. its kinda pricey so get it off amazon dot com for a better deal....but its formulated really well. its cuts brake dust like no other. i use this and a gentle but large brush with a long handle and its a quick & easy process. other wheel cleaners will required a bit more elbow grease, this stuff makes the job really easy...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech Sport Package, Carbon Black, Black/Anthracite Bamboo

Waxing the wheels has helped but still need to put in some elbow grease. Pulling the wheels off every couple of weeks to clean the inside is a pain. Going to switch brands for the pads and look into getting wheels powder coated black.

Brakes are included in the CPO maintenance program but not sure if they'll support non-OEM pads. I figure the couple hundred I spend on Hawks will be worth the time not having to clean as often.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Andy,

Why not paint the inside black? On serious note, seems like lots of people, including some of the pro detailers in the detail forum, use the PS21, may be you should look into it. I'm thinking of ordering some for myself.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
spraying wheel cleaner on the rims is the easiest, but the acid in it may effect the finish after many uses.

i was told using simple green is a good safe alternative, and wont attack the surface, but may require a little more elbow grease.
I have been using Simple Green for my wheels and engine bay for many years now. It's cheap, safe, and environmental friendly.

For my wheels I still have two brushes though for the inside and never depend on just spraying and expecting my wheels to rinse clean. For the face of the rims I just use my wash rag and bucket of car wash soap as a final step once the rest of the car is cleaned.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Members

The rims are brand new... Miro 111 in hypersilver with machine face. Hindsight if I could get them powder coated black and machine faced I'd go that route. It'll darn near cost as much money to have that done as it would be to buy new rims, though, so for now I'm just looking for a simple solution to help between carwashes.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Auto Transmission with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II / Cold Weather Gone: 2010 535I - Alpine White / Black / Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages / Anthracite liner / Sport Auto with Paddle Shifters / Navigation / Satellite, HD & I-pod Gone: 2006 530XI - Monaco Blue / Creme Leather

A new product Armor-All Wheel Protectant great after they are clean!
I was skeptical, but now have three cans on my detail shelf. It really helps repel the brake dust and prolong cleaning.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Members

P21S has always worked well for me, too. I've also had good luck with S100 wheel cleaner. It was recommended to me by a detailer, and I believe is made by the same company. S100 products are intended to clean motorcycles. I've not noticed any difference in performance between the two products. The cleaners stick well to the wheel, and can be left on for tough cleaning without worrying about damaging the clear coat or finish.

The S100 is cheaper, and I've always been able to find it at local motorcycle dealerships. I'm only able to find P21S online, so going to the Harley dealership a few miles away is easier for me.

I also agree with applying a wheel wax. It really makes maintenance cleaning easier. I use a product called RejeX with good results.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean rims?