E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Belt or Pulley noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

I had a water pump bearing failure a while back. Luckily noticed in time. The pulley had a lot lateral movement and there were particles of metal on the pump body but the water seal held. Check for this.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Members

Here is the remedy for that noise which turned into stalling and an increased emissions and check engine light.. All related to the same thing. What I though was a belt or pulley was actually a cracked crank case vent valve which had a banshee type wail once the engine was fully heat soaked. It tripped code 29F8, 29F0, 29E7 and 29EF Mixture Adaptations, Lean (which I could smell when I first started the car) The car had a slight jerk or lerch from a standing start and I didn't notice at the time since it was probably suffering from this when I bought it but the throttle was less than crisp. This was probably due to the computer over compensating with the fuel/air mixture. All is okay now after $50 CPO fee. Side note, the SA would not do the MP3 upgrade for me under CPO, I did not have the SB that supported it and didn't care to get into it. I will no doubt be back in the shop at some point and will be more prepared.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

would you be referring to part # 13 in this diagram?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=11&fg=15
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd

Part #13 does need to be serviced, and also with checking the belt noise. If you hear the belt making noise and your not sure if its the belt of tensioner, you can spray some wd-40 on the belt while its running and if the noise goes away then its the belt. If not then double check with the tensioner, remove the belt from the tensioner and see if you have any noise while you spin the bearing then its the tensioner. But glad you had it fixed for the pressure regulating valve.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Members

I believe that is the part. I guess it was whislting like a tea kettle which I mistook for a belt noise. I did read about serviceing the part and I should have tried but it turns out is was cracked, therefor, junk so just as well there is a new one in there. I did spray all the reciprocating parts with lubricant while they were in motion and it didn't go away. Glad that Hendrick BMW in Hickory could service it on a Saturday and was in and out in one day. The complimentary wash and brake dust removal in behind the spokes was worth the $50 CPO ded.

Originally Posted by turboawd
Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by CDesign
Here is the remedy for that noise which turned into stalling and an increased emissions and check engine light.. All related to the same thing. What I though was a belt or pulley was actually a cracked crank case vent valve which had a banshee type wail once the engine was fully heat soaked. It tripped code 29F8, 29F0, 29E7 and 29EF Mixture Adaptations, Lean (which I could smell when I first started the car) The car had a slight jerk or lerch from a standing start and I didn't notice at the time since it was probably suffering from this when I bought it but the throttle was less than crisp. This was probably due to the computer over compensating with the fuel/air mixture. All is okay now after $50 CPO fee. Side note, the SA would not do the MP3 upgrade for me under CPO, I did not have the SB that supported it and didn't care to get into it. I will no doubt be back in the shop at some point and will be more prepared.

Thanks for all the advice.
Exactly what I'm experiencing now, shop said it's a crank case vent valve, I saw this thread just now as I was searching "belt squeel" cause that's what it sounded like.