E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Beginner to ISTA-P and it wants to make 6 hour long changes.. advice plz?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M / X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default Beginner to ISTA-P and it wants to make 6 hour long changes.. advice plz?

Hi every1,
another noob that’s in love with this amazing ‘10 535i X-Drive M-Sport E60, but just can’t seem to find any peace of mind from the problems I keep encountering left and right lol.. so I got insta-p installed and the first thing it tries to do right away after I connect to my car, is do an insane amount of “re-writes” (I assume that’s what most of it is?) and a long a** list of “changes” that all comes down to OVER 6 hours long as the overall ETA for the job(S)???
it’s a long LONG list lol, but I’ve attached all the screenshots for it if any1 wants to be solid enough to help me understand it all/or maybe just some of it lol? I chickened out of course and cancelled it, but if any1 knows what it all is, then I’ll def proceed with it(if that’s the recommendation Lool)..
now keep in mind, I messed around with a lot of the coding using ProTools to try and code Enhanced Bluetooth and might of messed up several little things along the way, including a few of the VO “raw coding” which I’m hoping I reverted back to original though.. any1 that has the patience and brains to help me out a little, I’d really really appreciate it I’m a quick learned so I’ll learn this stuff super fast eventually :$ thank u in advance !!!

Old 07-28-2021, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Looks like a lot of modules have been changed. It seems like the CIC retrofit was done so I wouldn't update that. What all has been done to the car it is calculating a lot of changes. Was this car a project car. Almost none of the original modules are there. Can the car even crank? What does the modules look like in the tree I'm sure a lot of red?
Old 07-28-2021, 12:06 PM
New Members

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

It's a 2010 so I presume the CIC is not retrofitted.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Looks like a lot of modules have been changed. It seems like the CIC retrofit was done so I wouldn't update that. What all has been done to the car it is calculating a lot of changes. Was this car a project car. Almost none of the original modules are there. Can the car even crank? What does the modules look like in the tree I'm sure a lot of red?
There’s only like 3 or 4 red ones if I recall correctly? And I don’t have a retrofit.. it might all be due to the fact I started out by trying to code in enhanced Bluetooth? Not sure
Old 07-28-2021, 12:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
It's a 2010 so I presume the CIC is not retrofitted.
correct m. Prob just me trying to code enhanced Bluetooth
Old 07-28-2021, 12:09 PM
New Members

car actually wouldn’t crank last week.. but has something to do with injectors apparently most likely.. gas leaking into engine/cylinders but happened after I got pissed from other problems and have no idea why I did this, but I primed the fuel pump and “fixed voltages” for it and prob caused the issues.. so ur kinda right lool maybe restoring the module codes wi to ista-p is the right move?
Old 07-28-2021, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm looking at the modules not matching up. It's seeing that some modules have been switch and calculating replacement. In another pic it calculated updating to the latest iLevel. Did you try to run it already. Looks like some stuff failed. Either way if you're not doing it by ICOM do not attempt it. Also you need a battery regulator to keep the voltage at 13.4v. Looking at all the pics it's fixing whatever has been done wrong, aligning VO, updating all modules and removing the one module it does not see. Also resetting a few parameters. It looks good to me but I repeat do not attempt without ICOM. That's probably why I'm seeing failures in your pics because you are trying to do it with a k/Dcan cable. You can choose what you want it to do.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 07-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:17 PM
New Members

I'm looking at the modules not matching up. It's seeing that some modules have been switch and calculating replacement. In another pic it calculated updating to the latest iLevel. Did you try to run it already. Looks like some stuff failed. Either way if you're not doing it by ICOM do not attempt it. Also you need a battery regulator to keep the voltage at 13.4v. Looking at all the pics it's fixing whatever has been done wrong, aligning VO, updating all modules and removing the one module it does not see. Also resetting a few parameters. It looks good to me but I repeat do not attempt without ICOM. That's probably why I'm seeing failures in your pics because you are trying to do it with a k/Dcan cable.
it failed I think because I was scared and canceled it.. but yes my cable is the k/dcan one.. I don’t have the ICOM one sadly is it really that big of a risk to attempt to do the changes without one?
Old 07-28-2021, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you are updating all the modules do not attempt to do it without an ICOM and battery regulator.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:57 PM
New Members

If you are updating all the modules do not attempt to do it without an ICOM and battery regulator.
ya I’m gonna buy a battery charger to do whatever needs to be done.. can I ask u something then? I’m not looking to spend so much on just the cable right now when I have to spend on injectors, coils, spark plugs AND the water pump.. so not sure what to do here lol but is it true That I can apparently just program each module individually, and using a kdcan cable running WinKFP instead.. and get away with it? Plus it apparently beats the 6 and a half hour eta ISTA-P wants lol? But I’m inexperienced in this area/field, so I’m hoping someone more experienced, like yourself, can guide me on this

Quick Reply: Beginner to ISTA-P and it wants to make 6 hour long changes.. advice plz?