E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Safety Terminal (BST) Cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I just took my car into the dealership to get the 50K mile service done, and my SA told me they can't program my car until the Battery Safety Terminal (BST) is replaced. They claim there was body work done to the car, as there was over spray and dust on the terminal. This caused the terminal to malfunction and short the passenger air bag sensor and caused the car to have rough cold starts.

My car was in the body shop when I got the m-tech kit put on, but the body shop painted my panels before they put them on and my trunk was only opened to place some parts every now and then. None of the trunk interior panels were taken off either.

Now my SA is telling me I need to replace the cable for $500 before they can do anything to fix the car, does this sound right?? How can a battery cable be so sensitive to dust or overspray, if that even happened?

Any input would be helpful...
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

haha that's BS
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Try a different dstealer. Inspect the terminals yourself to see if there really is overspray. That should be pretty easy to verify and see. Let us know the outcome. I hope it turns out good.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributors

overspray can be easily removed
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Related to this BST...

My dealer (BMW of Dallas) actually claimed that this BST cable triggers the Passenger Air Bag Error and Active Steering Error code. (I've had several complains about Pass. Airbag and AS error code)

They actually replaced it for free under warranty.

I think you could try to remove the overspray and take it to another dealer and act dumb. Or complain like I did above.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by salaki' post='768790' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:08 PM
Related to this BST...

My dealer (BMW of Dallas) actually claimed that this BST cable triggers the Passenger Air Bag Error and Active Steering Error code. (I've had several complains about Pass. Airbag and AS error code)

They actually replaced it for free under warranty.

I think you could try to remove the overspray and take it to another dealer and act dumb. Or complain like I did above.
You're smarter than I am, I was going to play dumb and say the car was never in a body shop, but I thought they might ask questions about my mtech kit on my 2005 car. I guess I couldve said I put it on myself, prepainted of course.