E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery related issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

For the past few weeks I've been getting a high battery drain warning message in iDrive when I started my car up in the mornings. However, the car started up perfectly fine every time. But I did notice that once in a while my iDrive would make a noise like it is restarting and it would pause for 10 seconds or so while playing music and disable and reconnect the bluetooth for my phone. The screen would not turn on or off or anything though. Also, I started getting this warning message about the same time my 6-CD changer stopped working (it wouldn't eject or make any noise at all like it was totally disconnected from the system).

I let my car sit for the weekend and I come back. When I first start her up today, it was a little weak and the interior lights kind of blinked. I then got a dynamic drive malfunction warning. I drove around for a bit and restarted the car a few times and no more error messages and my car is starting up perfectly normal. The 6-CD changer also works again without changing anything.

Anyone had these similar problems?! I want to avoid taking it into the shop if there is an easier fix such as buying a new battery. My car is a 2005 with 70k miles and original OEM battery still I believe. It seems like my car is toying with me and me no likey!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

probably a battery maybe. let's see what others say

edit: do you have a multimeter/voltimeter? the batter needs to read ~9.6 volts for it to take a charge, any less, you need a new battery!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

you have comfort access? that's causing my battery drain.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
you have comfort access? that's causing my battery drain.
Negative on the comfort access.

And Michael, for the voltimeter, can they measure it at autozone?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Yea but it's always good to have one of these things

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Do the 545's have the AC "hedgehog" issue?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
Do the 545's have the AC "hedgehog" issue?
The E60 has a different blower motor regulator. Item 2.

I'm voting battery causing the op's issues.
Attached Thumbnails Battery related issues?-blwr-mtr.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Anyone had these similar problems?! I want to avoid taking it into the shop if there is an easier fix such as buying a new battery. My car is a 2005 with 70k miles and original OEM battery still I believe. It seems like my car is toying with me and me no likey!
This is mere speculation but from all I have read, a BMW with a 5 year old battery is a candidate for Ripley's!! My vote is a bad battery.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

Yes, I have had nearly similar problems and had all kind of advice from various mechanics ranging from alternator to ccc etc. Took it to the dealer and asked them to check the battery (cheapest place to start) and they diagnosed a weak battery (5 years old. Touch wood all is ok up to now. I would start with checking the battery before letting anyone play around. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

To go nearly 6 years on an OEM battery is pretty good (or should I say lucky), and odds are that yours is nearing its useable life. I too drive an '05 545 but didn't want too wait till it was too late to change out my battery. My car at the time felt "weak" firing up so I replaced mine last summer.

Sounds to me like your battery can't hold a charge long enough (even overnight). If your car has a hard time firing up every morning, but starts up fine after a few minutes of driving, then that is a tell tale sign your battery is going bad.

FYI, I bought my battery at BatteryPlus and installed it myself. Cost me ~$150, saved me ~$350!. You may find it cheaper elsewhere. I never had to "register" battery at the dealers, although some swear this is neccessary. There are a few long threads just on this one topic alone But for me, so far so good. Good luck

Quick Reply: Battery related issues?