E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roboe60
12+ volts with the car OFF is good.
OK so that is another thing down.

So my car is getting the voltage needed to start the car.

I found a page that has information and diagrams regarding the Integrated Supply Module ISM, but I thought I would find out exactly where it is located before proceeding.

RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection

I'm still looking around. When I find this should I see if it has corrosion or bad connectors?

EDIT - I also found the module underneath the spare tire. It is very dry underneath there, no water, and very clean. I looked inside the box and nothing looked burnt out. What a stupid place for BMW to put it. The trunk is huge and there is space on the sides. I don't know why they chose that location other than maybe if it burns up it will maybe not burn up the car since it is by itself.

Last edited by fritolay; 11-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Disconnect the battery and jump the car with a pack from the engine bay. You want to rule out the cable as the failure. If you get the same results you know conclusively its not the cable. you can still see voltage if the cable is bad. Using a pack circumvents the battery as a potential issue as well, yes even though it is new! also cars can take allot more corrosion than you imagine before they will cease to crank the engine. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Visual inspection is fine.

The modules in the tire well have a SIB to relocate them. I had a water leak and mine were unaffected but many are. Take this chance to read a few threads on where to move them to. you basically unwrap the wire harness and separate the modules to each side of the car. Many have had major damage from these modules frying, not just the modules themselves.

If neither seem to do anything i would look at bypassing the IBS for testing. Then replace the ISM if all else fails.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by Only Bimmers; 11-26-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fritolay
OK so that is another thing down.

So my car is getting the voltage needed to start the car.

I found a page that has information and diagrams regarding the Integrated Supply Module ISM, but I thought I would find out exactly where it is located before proceeding.

RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection

I'm still looking around. When I find this should I see if it has corrosion or bad connectors?

EDIT - I also found the module underneath the spare tire. It is very dry underneath there, no water, and very clean. I looked inside the box and nothing looked burnt out. What a stupid place for BMW to put it. The trunk is huge and there is space on the sides. I don't know why they chose that location other than maybe if it burns up it will maybe not burn up the car since it is by itself.
ISM is in the ebox in the engine bay on the passenger side just in front of the windshield under the cabin filter housing. Usually there is no physical sign that it is bad. I haven't followed the whole thread, but if the diagnosis is that it might be the ISM it needs to be swapped with a known good unit (junk yard, new or borrowed from a kind soul) to be sure.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Disconnect the battery and jump the car with a pack from the engine bay. You want to rule out the cable as the failure. If you get the same results you know conclusively its not the cable. you can still see voltage if the cable is bad. Using a pack circumvents the battery as a potential issue as well, yes even though it is new! also cars can take allot more corrosion than you imagine before they will cease to crank the engine. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Visual inspection is fine.

The modules in the tire well have a SIB to relocate them. I had a water leak and mine were unaffected but many are. Take this chance to read a few threads on where to move them to. you basically unwrap the wire harness and separate the modules to each side of the car. Many have had major damage from these modules frying, not just the modules themselves.

If neither seem to do anything i would look at bypassing the IBS for testing. Then replace the ISM if all else fails.

Best of luck and keep us updated.
I disconnected the battery. I jumped the car with a battery pack and the car had the exact same results. It did not turn over once, but the electronics turned on. I have unhooked the IBS before in testing.

Therefore it seems to me it is probably the ISM or the starter. To get to the starter I will need to dig into quite a bit. If these are truly the next steps I will have to decide if I will take that on myself or get it towed to my Indy whom I've already spoken to about the car. Does that sound correct?

What should I expect for costs to replace a starter with labor hours?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

And all this from leaving your lights on? I think you're missing part of the story such as putting too many volts through the car or something when attempting to charge the battery, or doing some incorrect charging procedure. What did you charge the battery with?
Also, the module under the spare tire is called the MPM or Micro Power Module. If it's still there relocate it. Just ziptie it to the driver's side taillight wiring.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Members

If your ICM got wet then you should replace it... mine got wet and caused the same problems ....picked up a new one from ebay real cheap..and no more problems
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sorry I'm not familiar with an ICM in a BMW. It's not an ECU that's for sure. I don't believe it to be any module either. So, I have no idea what an ICM is with BMW. Hoepfully someone can enlighten me.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
And all this from leaving your lights on? I think you're missing part of the story such as putting too many volts through the car or something when attempting to charge the battery, or doing some incorrect charging procedure. What did you charge the battery with?
Also, the module under the spare tire is called the MPM or Micro Power Module. If it's still there relocate it. Just ziptie it to the driver's side taillight wiring.
No this isn't from leaving my lights on, that was 1 month or so ago. This just happened last week as I mentioned one time it was slow to start and the next day it cranked once or twice and didn't start. There were signs of something failing. I just mentioned leaving my lights on to include facts leading up to issue.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

In order to rule out starter being the culprit, you will need to try to jump the starter and see if the starter engages when you do that. You will need to remove intake manifold to be able to safely access starter connections.

Removing the intake manifold is not that difficult. Just get intake manifold gasket set before you remove the manifold. You will want to replace the gasket set when putting back the manifold.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Members

[QUOTE=AchtungE60;1480514]Sorry I'm not familiar with an ICM in a BMW. It's not an ECU that's for sure. I don't believe it to be any module either. So, I have no idea what an ICM is with BMW. Hoepfully someone can enlighten me.

The ICM (electronic control module) is in the trunk under the spare wheel and if it gets wet it can malfunction or stop working all together......it can and should be relocated when you get a chance

Quick Reply: Battery Issues