E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Installation Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went though replacement of my battery in my 545. I elected to go with an Interstate Battery that has the same amp-hour rating and warranty as the OEM battery. The Interstate, with tax, sold to me for $165 versus almost twice that for an OEM battery. Install was easier than in my Lexus. Took me a total of about 15 minutes to remove the old battery, thoroughly clean out the battery mounting area, and to install the new battery. I then took it to my Indie to have him "register" the battery. Registering involves doing a computer link up with a BMW database maintained somewhere in the world. Other than updating the historical database on your car, my understanding is that the registering process also syncs the new battery with the car's computer. My indie said that the charge rate on the battery will be varied by the car's computer dependent on the age of the battery. So, I paid my Indie $45 to properly register the battery, though, if you do a search, there are many people who just install a battery and don't pay to have it registered. I have not heard of any issues that were caused by NOT registering your battery!

So, my total cost for a new Instate Battery installed and registed was $205 which is less than 50% of the cost quoted by the dealer. And, if you have not researched them, Interstate Batteries are touted as one of the best batteries currently available to the retail market. Incidentally, my new Interstate Battery is the third battery installed in this car since new. That equates to the original and first replacement battery (OEM) each lasting almost exactly the same at 3 years of life. So, if my Interstate Battery, which has a 5 year warranty makes 5 years, my savings will have been almost twice what they are currerntly.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i 2010 X5

I would love to hear from anyone who has replaced their battery with non-OEM and it's been 6 to 12 months. Any problems?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
I bought an OEM battery from the dealership - my car wouldn't start when I tried to leave so I replaced it in the parking lot in 20 minutes. Programmed it when I got home. No problems since. You can easily do this yourself.
So can you tell us what's involved in programming a new battery?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by 5thbmw
I would love to hear from anyone who has replaced their battery with non-OEM and it's been 6 to 12 months. Any problems?
Installed a Duralast battery from AutoZone 4 months ago and had it registered a week later. Absolutely no problems since.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by deltabox
So can you tell us what's involved in programming a new battery?
You need coding software that allows you to change the battery specs configured in the computer.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

(not taking the time to read all the responses above so forgive me)

go to pep boys or auto zone and buy the Bosche battery equivalent for our E60 cars. install it yourself in the garage. it will take you less than 10 minutes. i did this last fall. worked like a charm. my total cost: $106 plus tax.

easiest thing i ever did. case closed.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

So, you didn't "program" it after install? Also, how much auxillary time do you get w/o issues (i.e. car off, but playing radio, etc.)? I'm trying to determine if need a new battery or not (other post), and if so if I can install myself, and if programming is really necessary with 3rd party battery.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

if you have BMW tools and are handy with programming then yes, you can go in and reset some things in your system. but honestly, i dont think people HAVE to do that. i surely didnt. i dropped in the new battery and never had an issue afterward. on the flipside, the low voltage was causing many errors and systems in my car to go on the fritz. all of it was right as rain after the new battery.

i say spend the $100, install it yourself and IF it needs programming at a later date take it to an indy or the dealer for only that portion. but i think you will be fine....basing it on my experience that is...
Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

I've installed dozens of batteries over the years, anything special to know about this one or the proccess? I assume I will lose radio presets, etc. but what about seat setting, comfort access, other idrive stuff, etc.?

Also, is your Duralast the 49-DL?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

You can find some good info here.

Quick Reply: Battery Installation Pricing