E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Depleted ... twice in 3 days .. sw problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an interesting problem - currently un-resolved for me. For no apparent reason the car battery is dead the first time I try and drive the car in the morning.

Called BMW emergency svc: they just re-started it and the battery itself is healthy but little juice. Guy treated it as no big deal, get it fixed at next service. Called it a problem going into "sleep mode".

Happened again today. Same deal - Called BMW emergency svc: they re-started it and the battery itself is healthy but little juice. This time I'm told more detail - he thinks there is a software problem and when you power off, the computer goes around all the electronic units, and if there is any kind of issue - is sort of stops and does not fully go into "sleep mode" where it shuts down everything to minimize battery drain. So I'm re-started and hope to get to the dealer before it happens again.

Was explained to me you can tell if you car has gone into sleep mode like this: about 1hr after locking the car and walking off, return and peer through the window - see if the light is on next to the P (Park) on the auto box. If the light is off you're in sleep mode.

Apparently the software fix makes the computer go into sleep mode whatever the result of the electronics check.

This is the 3rd time I've had to call BMW Em Svc for dead battery. The Last time was early 2005 and I was told a software fix was required (which got applied) and I never saw a problem again. That upgrade made the MP3 work which was great.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Do you have a power inverter? Possibly to run some AC device? If you leave these power inverters plugged in it will kill your battery.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='292338' date='Jun 4 2006, 10:07 AM
Do you have a power inverter? Possibly to run some AC device? If you leave these power inverters plugged in it will kill your battery.
Nope. No electrical connections beyond what was on the car when I bought it. No changes.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

When you lock the car it waits for about 15 minutes before entering 'sleep mode'.

Essentially sleep mode is where all the bits of electronics switch off. The e60 is complicated in that ALL of the electrics are linked and they each have to report to the idrive to confirm that they are OK.

In your case it sounds like one electrical item (could be anything) is switching itself on and hence waking up the entire car. This could be software related - or it could be a straightforward fault with that item of kit.

Book you car into the dealers. They will need it ALL day and will have to let it go to sleep in a quiet corner, whilst plugged into the diagnostic kit. They should then (hopefully) be able to work out what has woken up and hence fix it.

I had a similar problem - now fixed.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

I think the same thing has just happened to me. Over the weekend she seemed to be making noises even though everything was off and locked for over 24 hrs. The upshot was flat battery and a power steering failure warning. Today the garage said it was a spontaneous battery drain with something left on in the car. I'm not sure they have any idea what they are talking about. I asked in an earlier post why the recovery guy would switch on the headlights prior to attempting to start the car from a battery pack. Anyone any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Contributors

The reason is, if you jump start a car you should switch on a strong electrical consumer to avoid electrical stress peaks when you finally disconnect the clemps from the battery.
If you don't do that there is a (small) chance to damage the electrical equiopment of the car.