E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow 5'ers.

Last Friday afternoon, after work - I started my car so I could go home.
All I heard were "click-click-click" sound. So I thought, maybe my battery terminals are loose or battery is discharged.
So I called my wife to bring a jumper cable. I tried to start my car while my wife is revving her car (a 3 series). No go.

So I got Geico to tow my car to the dealership.

Today, they finally worked on my car.
Diagnosis - battery is dead but can't find any fault from the computer.
So SA told me that I probably left my parking or head lamps on and killed my battery and/or the 8-mile drive to work (16 mile round trip) is too short to charge the battery and killed it in time.

I told the SA, I always put the light switch to Auto and I drive my car 65-75mph on my drive to my work which is 8 miles away every day. And I drive my car at least 5-6 days a week. My Audi TT's battery died after 5 or 6 years and there are times when it is parked 3 or so weeks without driving it and it was all fine.

He then told me they will shoulder the $450+ battery but not the $190 labor because it is basically my "fault".

Should I pay them or demand that they will replace the battery?

My car is still under factory warranty BTW. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would push them to cover the whole thing. If it doesn't fall under warranty it should be cover by maintenance. I don't think there is a stipulation for minimum usage.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

they told me about the samething when i left my key in the ignition, i told them to charge the battery since it did not drain the battery complete, he said it is not covered under warranty and blah blah also
Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

I do not understand this at all, is BMW vehicles bad on batteries that they come up with these type of excuses?

I wired my V1 right to the fuse box, however it stays on now unless i turn the knob to off (when the car is off).
I did this the other day (memorial weekend) and left the car for 11 hours with the Radar turned on.
When I got back to the car, I did get a warning that the battery was low (something to that nature).
But all I did was turn off the radar and the car turned on like normal.

Ok so a radar takes less drain from the battery then a light!, But I also thought that your lights turn off after some time?
I have a 2008 BMW so maybe that is it.

However I have read a few posts already concerning this issue and it makes me wonder that dealers are actually taking people for a ride and charging them these "labor" costs when it should be clearly a warranty issue.

I have left my lights on in other vehicles, and yes the batter drains, but you jump the battery, run the car for a few minutes and your back like normal.

So this is totally unacceptable if they tell you that your ride to work is too short!
Terrible just terrible.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Members

Thanks guys. I just called the SA again and demanded to talk to his manager.
Still waiting for them to call me back.

I really don't have a problem paying $190 for labor but the principle of being my car still on warranty and them giving me BS reasons about having left my lights on and driving too short to properly charge the car makes me feel insulted - I'm no idiot for it to believe that.

Batteries, just like electronics may die any time, just like any electronic part of the car (i.e. power windows, iDrive, etc).
If BMW says it is warranted bumper to bumper for 4/50, and they will cover maintenance for 4/50 - then they should cover all expenses including the battery.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Contributors

I wouldn't pay a dime of the $190 they want to charge you in labor I just recently took my car in for service and complained about my battery dying on me twice and they replaced it at no charge and no questions asked.

Where are you located??
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Members

I live near Dulles Airport in Northern VA.
Dealership is in Sterling, VA.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

I live in Atlanta, Ga and with a new 535i have already discovered that the SA may or may not know what they are talking about and may or may not effectively administer the policy of the dealership or that of BMW North America. I would highly recommend you not spend any more time talking with the SA - go to his/her manager. If you don't get a reasonable resolution go to the General Manager of the dealership and finally if you are not satisfied go to BMW of North America.

If you don't have the time to do this in person then write a clear (nice & professional) letter to the General Manager, copying the Service Manager and BMW of North America. From my experience you will find a good resolution and not silly excuse making.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Members

Thanks all!

I'm trying to get hold of their Service Manager for a while but no one's answering their phone.
I might drop off tonight or tomorrow after work.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Members

Can't get hold of the Manager so I left a message to him.
5 minutes ago, SA called to tell me they will take care of the bill. Yeah baby!

Perseverance really pays off. Thanks for all the advice folks!

Quick Reply: Battery Dead