E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

I came back to the airport after a week of being gone, got in my car and it was dead, wouldn't even turn over. I jumped the car and brought it to BMW but the battery wasn't fully charged so they couldn't hook up to the diagnostics. Question I have, is has anyone experienced something like this, I was parked on the roof of the airport and it was below freezing for the week, but the car isn't even a year old, I would hope that every time I leave for any lengthy time this isn't going to keep happening. Also about 3 weeks ago I parked my car got out, looked back and the lights and brake lights were still lit I had to go back and turn the lights off, it's just odd, maybe I have a short or something somewhere.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Check the battery itself. If it's not a sealed battery make sure that the levels are good. That used to be an issue with new BMWs some years ago. If that battery looks okay then I would start looking for a short.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 AM
asg
Members

My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

Originally Posted by 05E60Black545i' post='257178' date='Mar 19 2006, 10:13 AM
I came back to the airport after a week of being gone, got in my car and it was dead, wouldn't even turn over. I jumped the car and brought it to BMW but the battery wasn't fully charged so they couldn't hook up to the diagnostics. Question I have, is has anyone experienced something like this, I was parked on the roof of the airport and it was below freezing for the week, but the car isn't even a year old, I would hope that every time I leave for any lengthy time this isn't going to keep happening. Also about 3 weeks ago I parked my car got out, looked back and the lights and brake lights were still lit I had to go back and turn the lights off, it's just odd, maybe I have a short or something somewhere.

I've left my car (April 2004 545) for 3 weeks on the roof of my parking garage without a start and was able to get it started on this first try. it was the coldest 3 weeks of the year (including a blizzard). I was convinced that the battery would be dead but was amazed that the car responded as if i had just driven it. Quite impressed with the battery....I would check for a short.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did you happen to leave a bluetooth phone or other BT device in the car while you were away?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='257190' date='Mar 19 2006, 10:57 AM
Did you happen to leave a bluetooth phone or other BT device in the car while you were away?
No I had my phone with me, they'll call tomarrow and let me know, it just seemed odd that it would go dead in a week.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It shouldn't go dead like that. Once the car enters sleep mode, there's very little current drain on the battery. It's possible that something on the car prevented it from entering sleep mode -- or, you just have a bad battery...

Good luck with the resolution of the problem!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I left mine in the garage at home for a little over 2 weeks while on vacation and it started without any hesitation, it was just like normal.

Wonder if it was a glitch like Rudy said and something just didnt allow the car to fall asleep and drained the battery.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

My battery died a few weeks ago, went out to go to work one morning and it was totally dead. I'd left nothing on, it just discharged. It didn't want to charge up either, I jump started the car and went to the dealer - they ran a few tests and diagnosed a faulty battery, replaced under warranty. Interestingly I always used to get battery warnings after only 5 or 10 minutes if I had the car powered up (but without the engine running), that seemed to stop a few months back but I guess I must have had a dodgy battery from day one.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Members

I parked my car in the garage one Saturday night a few weeks ago and the car wouldn't start the next day. It wouldn't take a charge so I had to have it flat-bed towed to the dealer where they diagnosed it as a defective battery.

I also had the same situation where the headlights and tailights remained on after I had left the car for a few hours. This only happened once and it was more than 6 months ago.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Members

I had the same problem three times in two weeks.

First time BMW jump started the car (I thought may sh*t just happens and I might have left the interior lighting or radio on).

Second time they replaced the battery in the workshop, they ran a test and it turned out that the control unit which controls everything except engine and gearbox (i.e. AC, Radio, Nav, Lights, Interior Light, Seats, etc...) was faulty.

Before the part could arrive, I had a flat battery again the next morning.

Since the so called "body computer"was replaced I have never had any problems anymore. It was a warranty job that required recoding of the entire car.

Quick Reply: Battery dead?