E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I just noticed that my battery is not fully charged. The battery indicator is black, not green. I have an old 12V battery charger.
Can I use this charger? Or should I buy the one from BMW?
If I can use it, is there a special procedure to connect it?

Thanks for your advice!
Ben
Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ben535xi
Hi,

I just noticed that my battery is not fully charged. The battery indicator is black, not green. I have an old 12V battery charger.
Can I use this charger? Or should I buy the one from BMW?
If I can use it, is there a special procedure to connect it?

Thanks for your advice!
Ben
How old? Most newer battery chargers have special circuitry to adjust the rate of charge based on the condition of the battery. BMW doesn't make chargers but rebrands those from other manufacturers. There are lots of posts about battery tenders - they are suitable to maintain a battery in good condition whereas a battery charger could more be better [more 'powersul'] at bringing a battery back to a useable state from discharged .

Here's a pretty easy to follow "how-to" ... http://www.battery-chargers.com/char...structions.htm
Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I would suggest the Battery Tender brand. The one from BMW is the same one just rebadged and more expensive, as Luigi said. Be sure to get the kind with alligator clips, not the kind that plugs into the lighter plug.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

I got the Battery Tender, but it will never get the battery indicator to Green. I think you need a full size battery charger for that. I have one coming in today and hope to use it this weekend. My battery is actually new, but always had the black indicator. I have never had any starting or electrical issues, but want it fully charged anyway (I know I should of had it done when I got it new)

The BMW manual says to connect the charger at the points under the hood, but the Bently manual says standard battery chargers do not have "clean" power and that the battery should be disconnected from the car while charging, that's what I will do.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Members

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

lol i just bought the battery tender at the dealer for 75 bucks, not bad not bad at all
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by chalankanoa
I got the Battery Tender, but it will never get the battery indicator to Green. I think you need a full size battery charger for that. I have one coming in today and hope to use it this weekend. My battery is actually new, but always had the black indicator. I have never had any starting or electrical issues, but want it fully charged anyway (I know I should of had it done when I got it new)

The BMW manual says to connect the charger at the points under the hood, but the Bently manual says standard battery chargers do not have "clean" power and that the battery should be disconnected from the car while charging, that's what I will do.
Which Battery tender did you get?
1.25A or smaller one?
If you have a smaller one that's probably the reason that it takes long time to fully charge.

I have this:

I hook it up at the front terminals and it usually takes overnight to see green.

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
lol i just bought the battery tender at the dealer for 75 bucks, not bad not bad at all
Not bad but the same kind on Ebay is 1/3 cheaper
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-VO...ehicleQ5fParts
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i CPO bought in Jan 2009

Originally Posted by salaki
Which Battery tender did you get?
1.25A or smaller one?
If you have a smaller one that's probably the reason that it takes long time to fully charge.

I have this:

I hook it up at the front terminals and it usually takes overnight to see green.

That is the one I have. The light turns green on the battery tender, which means the battery is charged and the charger is in maintenance mode, but the indicator on my battery is not green. Do you see green on the battery?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by chalankanoa
That is the one I have. The light turns green on the battery tender, which means the battery is charged and the charger is in maintenance mode, but the indicator on my battery is not green. Do you see green on the battery?
Oh.. I thought you meant on the battery tender.

On the battery itself. I never really check
I'll check it tonight.

Edit:
I just researched around other forums.
The peek hole only shows one cell of the battery. So that cell has probably gone bad.

Or maybe you may need to add distilled water if your battery is not AGM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by salaki
Or Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Battery charger