E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic Climate Control Fan Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re TMC

you might recall my recent visit to BMW service and the complete lack of results or even promising news... esp. in comparison to you...

doing some looking 'round the net this loevely rainy saturday morning, i came across the TMC license holders in the UK where they detail their licensing arrangements with BMW - so, the bill is paid.

when the TMC was 'on' in Germany, did it give you the option to re-route or did it do it automatically (or was there a choice)? This specific question bears with or against the response i received from BMW last week wherein TMC will not be enabled in the UK on BusNav as it works only automatically and is not selectable (which kind of aligns with a German-language tech thread i was following earlier in the year at translated page where they were saying the icon was gone and it was 'always on' or something to that effect)...

keep us posted with your progress, if any.
cheers

and are you SURE the AC fan goes up / down? does it go to Max or is there just a little increase?
Old 05-08-2004, 03:28 AM
Members

Re TMC

I too am frustrtaed about the lack of TMC on Bus-NAV.

I contacted ITIS Holdings (the TMC licence holders in the UK) and got an interesting response - see below:

Dear Mr. Whiteley

Thankyou for your enquiry.

ITIS is the UK service provider in the UK and we do indeed have a contract
with BMW to supply RDS-TMC. Whilst we have undertaken the integration
testing for the business navigation system, BMW will not launch TMC
functionality until later in 2004. We believe this will available via a disk
upgrade.

If you would be kind enough to pass on your full contact details I will
ensure that we keep you updated.

Yours faithfully

Danny Woolard
Technical Director - Wireless Technologies
ITIS Holdings plc.,
5th Floor Station House
Stamford New Road
Altrincham
Cheshire WA14 1EP
Tel : +44 (0)161 929 5788
Fax : +44 (0)161 929 5074
Mob : +44 (0)7831 101799
email : dwoolard@itisholdings.com
web : www.itisholdings.com
: www.rds-tmc.co.uk

ITIS Holdings plc
www.itisholdings.com

Station House, Stamford New Road
Altrincham, Cheshire WA14 1EP
+44(0)161 927 3600
+44(0)161 929 5074 (fax)
Old 05-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Members

WRT TMC, I'll move my comments across to the new thread on this topic.

As far as fan operation goes, it does vary its intensity from where it starts out (as determined by the rotary setting) up to maximum, if I crank the temp dial in either direction, and it then slows down as the temp changes.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:34 AM
Members

Back to the initial topic: the fan control in the basic clima

I have now taken delivery of my new 530d built during week 16 and on this car the fan in the basic climate control IS AUTOMATIC! No doubt about it!
Old 05-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

Oreo: can you provide a dealer reference? Anything to have someone else tell my dealer's tech that it is possible???
Old 05-11-2004, 03:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skidster' date='May 11 2004, 11:39 AM
Oreo: can you provide a dealer reference? Anything to have someone else tell my dealer's tech that it is possible???
I do not think that the dealer did anything about it at all since it is a brand new car that has just been delivered, but if it can be of any help the dealer is [URL=http://www.novation.se]Novation[/URL in Uppsala, Sweden. It should be possible for your dealer to call the shops and see whether the techs did anything to update the car, but I doubt it as the manual also states that the control of the fan speed is automatic when the AUTO button is pressed. I think that this is a factory update and not a later software update! Good luck!
Old 05-11-2004, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

I have the advanced version so I cannot verify this, but I just took delivery of my car and my manual clearly states that the basic AC will increase/decrease the air supply as needed to reach the set temperature. I guess they made some changes to the basic AC then?

Also, the person (don't remember his name, sorry) that said that his dealer fixed his basic AC, would it be possible that his dealer replaced his AC unit with a newer one, maybe that's why he is the only that has it working? Also there still seems to be some confusion about what his dealer exactly did to get it working properly, maybe they changed it with another/newer version from another 5 Series and are they afraid to tell that they swapped the unit with one from another car? Or it can also be that it was a software fix, one of which no else knows??? Hmm... don't think so....
Old 05-11-2004, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JohanDC' date='May 11 2004, 11:51 AM
would it be possible that his dealer replaced his AC unit with a newer one, maybe that's why he is the only that has it working?
This sounds like a rather plausible solution to me. I know that there exists several versions of the control units (even for the "older" cars), e.g. cars with accessory heaters have an automatically controlled fan. The cost for changing this unit is not that high for the dealer (would guess around ?100-150 as retail price is around ?300), and they might put this on their "making customer happy" account.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

... ... ... but I doubt it as the manual also states that the control of the fan speed is automatic when the AUTO button is pressed... ... ...

in your manual is there an * beside that comment (re basic AC/auto fan) - there is in mine.. .. ..
Old 05-11-2004, 06:39 AM
Members

Well, if it has been fixed at the factory then it should be easy for any of us to visit our local garages and verify that new cars are working as described above. My garage happens to be over an hour away so don't know when I will next get in past

Quick Reply: Basic Climate Control Fan Info