E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic Air Con Fan Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had my car upgraded to get the TMC function working with the Business Sat Nav System. Noticed when I sat in the car this evening that the fan speed was now being automatically controlled - as soon as I turned the fan speed knob the auto LED went off. I had previously been told that auto fan speed was not available and so was suprised to see this working following the software upgrade - to what version i am unsure!

I know this has been frustrating to all E60 owners with basic air con as everuy other car I have driven with air conditioning has had the fan speed automatically regulated but not the good old E60 UNTIL NOW!
Old 10-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Blimey Charlie! I am going to PM skidster with this info immediately. He'll be cock-a-hoop
Old 10-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Question

browellm, you are a good man - cheers for the alert (since i've not been around i would have missed it)

whihr::::

when did you get your car / when was it built?

and TMC is working, you say?
are you using the 2004/1 dvd or is there a new one required?

and the AC fan? are you SURE about that one????

very cool
in fact, incredible. good, that is...
and i wonder why my dealer doesn't know about this = can you give me your dealer reference to refer my service tech to yours so he can get it from the mechanic's mouth, so to speak? cheers!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Oct 14 2004, 03:43 PM
browellm, you are a good man - cheers for the alert (since i've not been around i would have missed it)

whihr::::

when did you get your car / when was it built?

and TMC is working, you say?
are you using the 2004/1 dvd or is there a new one required?

and the AC fan? are you SURE about that one????

very cool
in fact, incredible. good, that is...
and i wonder why my dealer doesn't know about this = can you give me your dealer reference to refer my service tech to yours so he can get it from the mechanic's mouth, so to speak? cheers!!!
[snapback]44888[/snapback]
Car was built Feb04 - delivered Mar04
I am using 2004-01 dvd and it seems to work fine

Mind you this has been a long standing problem to get answers on. My dealer said it could not be done - I wrote to BMWGB and after several letters threatening legal action they admitted that the Sat Nav TMC issue would be resolved by September 04. I spoke with my dealer early October who still claimed it would not work and was not fixable and it was only when I referred them to my letter from BMWGB that they then came back (after 2 days) and said it could be fixed. Any finally today it was..........nothings ever simple.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 AM
stu
Members

Hi whihr/browellm . Thanks for this info!

I've just got mine back from Altwoods in Maidenhead .

The Dual stage brake lights are active and the auto fan works. Heaps of other good things too (such as a whole new typeface on I Drive and clearer radio/rds menus etc ) .

The only snag is; that after the software upgrade ( which took 5 days!!!) my girlfriends key no longer works and I'm mightilly miffed!

However - for the fan a/c thing I'm thrilled! It's just how it ought to be.
Set the temp you want and the fan speed smoothly adjusts up or down to achieve the desired temp. Why the heck did BMW make such a mess of this . I've had 12 months of hassle with them and wasted hours explaining the issue to silly people at service desks, who didn't try very hard to understand what I was saying!

I'd strongly recommend that if you have std air con you get the mod. It's wonderful.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stu' date='Apr 6 2005, 02:58 PM
I've just got mine back from Altwoods in Maidenhead .

The Dual stage brake lights are active and the auto fan works. Heaps of other good things too (such as a whole new typeface on I Drive and clearer radio/rds menus etc ) .

The only snag is; that after the software upgrade ( which took 5 days!!!) my girlfriends key no longer works and I'm mightilly miffed!

Set the temp you want and the fan speed smoothly adjusts up or down to achieve the desired temp. Why the heck did BMW make such a mess of this . I've had 12 months of hassle with them and wasted hours explaining the issue to silly people at service desks, who didn't try very hard to understand what I was saying!

I'd strongly recommend that if you have std air con you get the mod. It's wonderful.
I've been saying this for ages - it's always been a software issue! Lots of misinformation has been spread by BMW themselves!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Apr 6 2005, 06:40 PM
[quote name='stu' date='Apr 6 2005, 02:58 PM']I've just got mine back from Altwoods in Maidenhead .

I've been saying this for ages - it's always been a software issue! Lots of misinformation has been spread by BMW themselves!!!
[snapback]111973[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,

It is a software issue, but on cars manufactored before 03/2004 it's not possible to upgrade due hardware differences? Well this is what my dealer says anyhow.

Hope that this spreads some more light on the issue.

Mine is going in for a SW update soon, so we'll see if the statement above is true...

/R
Old 04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2004 525 Amethyst grey, Heated front seats, bluetooth prep, Adaptive Xenons, 6 CD changer, Front & Rear PDC, retro-fit 6 DVD changer in boot (trunk) with remote control plus headrest screens and IR headphones, Playstation connection to cabin, twin 12v outlets in rear cabin

My May 2005 delivery 525 with standard air con had auto fan speed control from delivery - maybe it affected only cars earlier than this.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Robbo' date='Apr 6 2005, 06:11 PM
It is a software issue, but on cars manufactored before 03/2004 it's not possible to upgrade due hardware differences? Well this is what my dealer says anyhow.
Rubbish. Mine was made 11/2003!!!!!!! Unless it's a complete fluke...
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Apr 6 2005, 06:57 PM
[quote name='Robbo' date='Apr 6 2005, 06:11 PM']It is a software issue, but on cars manufactored before 03/2004 it's not possible to upgrade due hardware differences? Well this is what my dealer says anyhow.
Rubbish. Mine was made 11/2003!!!!!!! Unless it's a complete fluke...
[snapback]112022[/snapback]
[/quote]

Precisely, more bollocks spread around by the dealers who can't be bothered to book the cars in for upgrade.

Quick Reply: Basic Air Con Fan Speed