E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bangle Design

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

I was able to listen to Chris Bangle talk about BMW strategy and BMW Designworks this week. I must say wow - he was very charismatic and strategic. He talked about taking design beyond the basics and how simple the door for the e60 looks but the elements of design and actual creation made it a tough task (very complicated with how you form the metal to get the correct grain pattern). He talked about future design and the time it takes to create a new car. The fact that every car starts from clay and is shaped by hand; their work is within great tolerances and can be uploaded into a computer to be replicated. He touched on team building and how you build a team to think outside the box to get a car as beautiful as the Z4, which set a new benchmark in metal work. To think about other cultures and how they interpret a task, even the simplest of task and how that can be incorporated into design and creation. Not to be afraid of sharing your thoughts and design because if you get complacent or too secretive others will ketch you and pass you by.
Just listening to him made me appreciate my e60 and what BMW has done is design and differentiation over the past 5+ years. I am obviously a fan of his work since I own an e60 and those that don't appreciate his work just needs to compare the lines of a BMW versus and Audi. Go outside and really look at the hood and side of the e60 - it really is a beautiful machine. I think BMW has individual cars with character - not just shortened version of the top model. They are far ahead of the competitors with design and I think they will stay that ways for years to come. They have a plan and they are running with it to great success. I wish I could share more of his speech and convey everything he stated because it was truly inspirational. I guess the point of my post is if you every have a chance to listen to him speak, do so!

A picture of the Z4 coupe that really shows the lines of the car - (some may dislike it and you do not need to post the hate)
http://www.7-forum.com/bild.php?bild=news/...20Coup?&cpy=bmw
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I wish I got to see that. I agree with you on the styling. Everytime I look at my 5 I appreciate it more. If you really stand back and admire each line and crease in the body you really see how well they all work. I think the new 3 has really nice lines if you stand back and look at it. They all do to me. I think Audi's are nice looking but they all look the same to me, just shortened versions of the A8. JMHO, but I think BMW has it all over Audi, Lexus, Benz, Acura and many others when it comes to styling. I saw a new S Class, that dash is such a rip of the 7 series.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I was not a big fan of the e60 design when it first came out, but gradually I warmed up to it, and now I really like it. What amazes me is how the other manufacturers, particularly the Japanese, are now imitating the Bangle design. I guess imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Bangle Design-img_1910_1.jpg
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Monaco Blue/Auburn/Poplar/6MT/Prem Pkg/Sport Pkg/Prem Sound/Act Steering/Nav/Comf Seats/ Folding Rear Seat/HUD

I'm in total agreement with you. Also, I love the new Z4 Coupe. Absolutely beautiful.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe the BMW cars are some of the sexiest machines on the road today. After having owned my E60 for nearly 3 months I am still wowed by the car's performance capability, styling and level of luxury. A couple of days ago as my wife drove off in our E60 I found myself marveling a the car's rear. Fellas you know the look when you watch your wife/girl/or significant other's rear. I mean that car is just plain sexy! If I were a car I'd have to date an E60

Anyway back to the topic. I saw Chris Bangle speak on Car Crazy a couple of nights ago. Unfortunately Meguire wouldn't shut up long enough for Chris to speak in complete sentences. However what he said gave a quick insight into the brilliant mind that he has and the entire BMW design team.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Spy pictures suggest the next 5 will take the 3's lines, instead of keeping its own. Too bad.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Oaktree' post='304254' date='Jun 27 2006, 09:38 PM
He touched on team building and how you build a team to think outside the box to get a car as beautiful as the Z4, which set a new benchmark in metal work. To think about other cultures and how they interpret a task, even the simplest of task and how that can be incorporated into design and creation.
I have listend to CB talk about the metal work on the Z4 many times and I still don't agree. And I don't think he believes it either. Take the 'four corners' area. He loves to point that out as a design feature but if it's so important why not use it in the 6? He could have used it there too. Just because he can do the metal work doesn't mean he should and in that case I think the car would look much better without the scar across the hood.

I didn't agree with him at first but I'm starting to see his 'plan' and I like it but I still think there are times he takes the ideas a little too far. I LOVE the 5 the more I see it. However, there are still minor design flaws. Some lines seem to hang in space with attempts to hide them (hood meets A-Pillar). I used to think BMW needed to fire CB but now I think he's on the right path. The interior is where BMW needs to re-focus attention on.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by tab545' post='304317' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:17 PM
Spy pictures suggest the next 5 will take the 3's lines, instead of keeping its own. Too bad.
That's OK. That will only make the current generation so much more unique!!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Blah blah blah... just make them look nice. No more E90 rear...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='304332' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:14 PM
Blah blah blah... just make them look nice. No more E90 rear...
For those who can appreciate art, they can see it in the e60. No art is perfect either, otherwise, it wouldn't be art. I didn't believe in CB design until I looked at it up close and personal. Just like if you saw an artwork in a catalogue; it's not as "true" or "realized" until you see it in person, a good example (a common one too) is the Mona Lisa painting.

Art is also subjective. Unfortunately, art for the mass passes quickly without much appreciation until years down the road. And so for those not convinced that the e60 is a piece of automotive art, you'll have to wait until it comes back around 10, 20, 30, 40 years from now.

Quick Reply: Bangle Design