E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

To Bamboo or not to Bamboo? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 10:12 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535i AW

Thanks for the feed back. Gonna stick with the Bamboo. Had it in mind all along just needed that mild peer pressure to make it happen. Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2008 | 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='585244' date='May 21 2008, 09:01 AM
OK, Mr. Helpful, I looked it up:

Bamboo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Bamboo is a group of woody perennial evergreen plants in the true grass family Poaceae....."

I actually chose the Bamboo firstly because of my Horticultural love of the plants. In my last house, I had planted 5 different varieties of it and installed Bamboo Wood floors in my Den. Only certain types, the "Runners", spread like weeds unless their Rhizomes are kept in check by barriers.

Geneatals is right: the color of the Bamboo in the car changes depending upon the light. Occasionally, I pass a 5er with lighter poplar and I get envious, but I am sure I made the best decision.
On the new 7ers, they have that Matt Walnut trim which I LOVE!

thanks for the horticulture lesson.... now i know more about bamboo than i would ever want to know!!!

on a more serious note....Good choice on the bamboo!!! I'm jealous!
Old 05-21-2008 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Passage taken from the National Bamboo Society Web Site:

Bamboo is just grass, but it varies in height from dwarf, one foot (30 cm) plants to giant timber bamboos that can grow to over 100 feet (30 m). It grows in many different climates, from jungles to high on mountainsides. Bamboos are further classified by the types of roots they have. Some, called runners, spread exuberantly, and others are classified as clumpers, which slowly expand from the original planting. There are also varieties of root systems that are a mixture of these types. Generally, the tropical bamboos tend to be clumpers and the temperate bamboos tend to be runners.

Bamboo is both decorative and useful. In many parts of the world it is food, fodder, the primary construction material and is used for making great variety of useful objects from kitchen tools, to paper to dinnerware. The Species Source List contains a listing of the bamboos that are commonly used for furniture, construction, musical instruments and many more things.

The species most-often identified with the giant panda is Gelidocalamus fangianus, but Fargesia spathacea, Sinarundinaria chungii, Sinarundinaria nitida, and Sinarundinaria fangiana are common bamboos in the panda's home range.

There is a lot of confusion in the naming of bamboos. There are both common names, which vary from place to place, even within one country; and there are the botanical names, which vary less from place to place, but are still not well-standardized.

Sorry Couldn't resist
Old 05-21-2008 | 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Bamboo is my favorite interior trim color and they also happen to make the best rolling paper
Old 05-21-2008 | 08:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='585638' date='May 21 2008, 04:23 PM
Bamboo is my favorite interior trim color and they also happen to make the best rolling paper
LOL......I'm a child of the 60's that haunted the haight before I was drafted.... this comment just cracked me up ....for some reason

Anyway....I'm six months into my 08 535 I - Space Gray - Black Dakota etc and I love my Bamboo trim.
Was dead set on light pop until I test drove the Bamboo.....never looked back.
I have received many compliments from friends and others who have ridden in the car....also , bamboo is a renewable resource.
Choose what YOU like not what others like.
Old 05-21-2008 | 08:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by ksouze0007' post='585801' date='May 21 2008, 09:32 PM
LOL......I'm a child of the 60's that haunted the haight before I was drafted.... this comment just cracked me up ....for some reason

Anyway....I'm six months into my 08 535 I - Space Gray - Black Dakota etc and I love my Bamboo trim.
Was dead set on light pop until I test drove the Bamboo.....never looked back.
I have received many compliments from friends and others who have ridden in the car....also , bamboo is a renewable resource.
Choose what YOU like not what others like.

+1 to that..... Choose what you like as long as it's the Bamboo.... !!!
Old 05-22-2008 | 04:03 AM
Members

forget the wood / grass...

go with the standard black - its very slightly metallic and looks the business.

The bambo looks like a few slices of polished cheap asian furniture to me.
Old 05-22-2008 | 05:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by the missile' post='586000' date='May 22 2008, 05:03 AM
forget the wood / grass...

go with the standard black - its very slightly metallic and looks the business.

The bambo looks like a few slices of polished cheap asian furniture to me.

Alas, it is not an option in the USA.
Old 05-22-2008 | 06:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

Bamboo gives a sporty and modern touch and is more exclusive too (you usually do not find it in other cars), however it's very much a matter of personal taste, so I'm not sure that our opinions really help you to make your choice...
Old 05-22-2008 | 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Speed - I actually went with the LIGHT popular with the cream beige interior in my 535. Since the wood areas are surrounded in black on the E60 (dash and doors) I thought (and still do) that the light popular is a better contrast. The dark popular and bamboo seemed to blend in too much (for my taste) with the black...here's a pic of my interior:

To Bamboo or not to Bamboo? That is the question.-dscn0309.jpg

Quick Reply: To Bamboo or not to Bamboo? That is the question.