E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

So you guys think its the spacers? But why would the rear be worn out so much more than the fronts if it was the spacers fault? Remember, both front and rear have spacers, and the fronts are fine. I guess I just think that after 6,000 miles the tires have worn much too much. Perhaps after 20,000 miles to see that kind of wear would have been more normal.

My concern now is not so much the current state of the tires but my idea to get Style 166 rims and new tires. The new rims will be wider so spacers won't be needed .. I just dont want to kill another set of tires so quickly. The spacers can be removed. Although if it is my driving I'm certaintly not going to change to save my tires. I consider driving fud and try to enjoy it as much as I can unlike most "normal" people (read: people who own non-luxury/sports cars) who consider driving work and no fun in their cars. No offense to them.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

as more as I think about it.... get a different brand of tires next time....
Old 01-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='227986' date='Jan 22 2006, 05:43 PM
So you guys think its the spacers? But why would the rear be worn out so much more than the fronts if it was the spacers fault? Remember, both front and rear have spacers, and the fronts are fine. I guess I just think that after 6,000 miles the tires have worn much too much. Perhaps after 20,000 miles to see that kind of wear would have been more normal.

My concern now is not so much the current state of the tires but my idea to get Style 166 rims and new tires. The new rims will be wider so spacers won't be needed .. I just dont want to kill another set of tires so quickly. The spacers can be removed. Although if it is my driving I'm certaintly not going to change to save my tires. I consider driving fud and try to enjoy it as much as I can unlike most "normal" people (read: people who own non-luxury/sports cars) who consider driving work and no fun in their cars. No offense to them.
I am assuming that your driving is not the problem. If not, then why would the rears wear more than the fronts if the problem is the tires? I have to think it is something about the car, spacers or whatever, that is causing the problem. Why not ask your SA why mainly the rears are wearing assuming your driving is not the problem? I think that it is your SA's responsibility to pursure possibilites that might cause the problem other than just your driving--which apparently is a bogus reason. If you have some problem, then you would want it corrected before the new wheels/tires.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's all about the negative camber of the rear wheels. The spacers may (or may not) have made them wear more but in my mind, it's clearly not apples-to-apples when you try to compare the fronts vs. the rears.

Speed, tire pressure, torque, camber, & cornering, are all going to play a role in tire wear...

Lomag, aren't you running snows now?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

That sucks, Mark. I have a feeling that it's the tires not your driving. I had my Dunlops replaced under warranty at 10K miles. To date, I have over 14K on replacement Bridgestones with no significant wear. I can tell you that I do drive agressively and yet have even wear on all 4 tires. I just don't trust those Dunlops.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey Lomag,

Playing with Accelleration Assist a bit??

Seriously, if you were hammering on it hard, you would have the right rear much more worn than the left rear (do a search for all of my rants about a lack of Limited Slip Differentials).

I drive my car very "spiritedly" and although I've been through my share of tires, I haven't seen rear tire wear like that.

Can't help you with the cause but I can say that it's not what I've experienced.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

My experience with my 545 and my e39 528 was much the same with all high performance tires. Performance tires are simply very soft rubber and are made for traction not treadwear. Only when I went with pefromance all seasons on my 528 was I able the get 15K-20K miles on a set of tires.

I took my Dunlop RF's off my 545 after about 8K miles and the rears looked very similiar to yours. After about 3K miles on my Bridgestone S03's I have considerble wear. My Dunlop WinterSports wear much better, which makes sense since they are not made to "stick" to asphalt.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Due to the negative camber settings of the rear wheels, my last three 5-series cars (two E39s and the E60) have all shown more wear on the inside than the outside of the tires -- regardless of tire brand.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='228105' date='Jan 22 2006, 11:02 PM
Due to the negative camber settings of the rear wheels, my last three 5-series cars (two E39s and the E60) have all shown more wear on the inside than the outside of the tires -- regardless of tire brand.

That is my experience too. It is even more pronounced with ultra high performance tires.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I agree with Rudy that your rear alignment must be out of spec with too much negative camber and/or some tow-in/out. I'd be interested to see what other members settings are if they know. I admit, I have no idea what my settings are but after the 5100+ miles I've accumalated my Bridgestone RFs seem to be wearing fine (See pics) ...and I've had plenty of spiritted starts as well as some nice freeway entries via the cloverleaf on-ramp near my house!
BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats-550i_lftrr_bridgstone_runflat.jpg
Driverside Rear

BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats-550i_rtrr_bridgstone_runflat.jpg
Passenger Rear

Also...see what SantaAna winds do to a garage floor? Man wind doesn't blow it SUCKS!!! :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats