E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Hey Guys,

I noticed my dunlop run flats making noise again along with the rear end shifting when running over bumps. On my last service visit I mentioned this. I had my original dunlops replaced with new dunlops around 6,000 miles ago -- all 4 new tires. The dealer comes back and tells me my rears are worn down and it's not a warranty issue. I honnestly didn't even closely examine the tires but now I have I have and HOLY SH!T.

They blame it on aggressive driving which I don't think I do. I rarely take off from stop lights like a maniac. I do like to corner fast but that would mean the front tires take more pain and they look fine. I drove my original dunlops the same way which lasted around 10,000 miles before BMW replaced them, they didn't look worn down at all. If it makes any difference I do mostly city driving.

So what came to mind is possibly the spacers I have. However I ruled out the spacers because they shouldn't make a difference.. The fact of the matter is I have spacers on front and rear and my fronts are perfectly fine, but rears are not.

Well I bet you want to see the pics in -- and the shock!! Well ... see below. Maybe I do drive aggressively and don't know it? What do you guys think? Apparently I need to get those 166 rims and Michelin PS2 tires quicker than I originally planned. My fear now is that I don't want to go through rear tires every 6k miles, at $400 ea + mount/balance, etc.. thats nuts.

Here's the pics:

Rear Left
BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats-rear_left.jpg

Rear Right
BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats-rear_right.jpg

Front Left
BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats-front_left.jpg

Front Right
BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats-front_right.jpg

Old 01-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Are the rears evenly worn? I can't tell from the pics - one looks like yes and the other maybe.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

They're worn slightly more on the inside it seems but worn all around pretty bad.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: in 2005... a completly crashed Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. ... 24th Jan. 2006... a new 530xd Touring

I have to tell you that "aggressive driving" is not the only thing to take into consideration in your case...

Do you know the name of your best friend and which is, at the same time, your rear tires' worst enemy?

It's called torque!

You don't have the feeling to get an aggressive driving... but the result is here... 330 lb-ft of torque (tires killer...)

Just push the mushroom "normally".... the result??? you already know it... :'(

Imagine that my car has 380 lb-ft.... and is a 4WD.... so, not only 2 tires killed rapidely.... but 4! :'(
Old 01-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

The rear tyres look to have worn unevenly. Hard cornering would normally wear the outer edge but yours is more worn on the inner. The car prety much carries the same weight evenly on all four tyres so if was due to soft compound the wear would show all round.

My conclusion is that it must be down to you using all that sweet power. Alas nothing in life comes from free.
I dont know your wheel spec but i'm curious to know why you use spacers.

Also as your tyres are worn in part to a level below the tread I would suggest that your tyre wear would have been illegal some time ago (here in the uk the legal minimum is 1.6mm) on that basis your tyres may have been shot 1-2k miles ago!!!
I dont suppose you have a teenager in your household with access to your keys. :'(
Old 01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

did somebody mention spacers?? oh there you go. that is probably why is that happening plus the torque on top of it
and on top of it we all know what the issue with Dunlop RF was.
Obviously there is nothing you can do about your tires as of this moment. But I would consider different brand next time and no spacers. You will see.

really those spacers are very suspicious to me in this case...... I know that many people use the with no problem. But things happen... the E60 is state of the art very tip-top set chassis and axle and everything that is added on as an extra simply disbalances the whole precise setup
Old 01-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='227932' date='Jan 22 2006, 02:55 PM
I am not a tire guy, but I don't think the problem is the tires. I think it has to do with your spacers or rear-wheel alignment. Good luck. If you believe that you are not driving aggressively in straight lines, then I think you probably are right, and I would rule out such driving as the culprit.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='227932' date='Jan 22 2006, 09:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I noticed my dunlop run flats making noise again along with the rear end shifting when running over bumps. On my last service visit I mentioned this. I had my original dunlops replaced with new dunlops around 6,000 miles ago -- all 4 new tires. The dealer comes back and tells me my rears are worn down and it's not a warranty issue. I honnestly didn't even closely examine the tires but now I have I have and HOLY SH!T.
[...]
Your tires look IDENTICAL with my 124 summer Dunlop RFTs. No difference whatsoever. A bit more on the inside, and front almost ok.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Mark consider Conti or Hankook they last much better! Good luck at least you have a car that has power to burn the tires, you cud have a fantastc bridgeston w a honda civic

i guess better the opposite
Old 01-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Members

My Ride: in 2005... a completly crashed Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. ... 24th Jan. 2006... a new 530xd Touring

The Spacers... of course....!

I didn't see the spacers when I wrote my last post!
Forget!
The car was built by engineers who calculated each piece of your car in relation with all the other pieces.
Change only one thing (except your wife... ) and you modify the whole model!
Why do you think that you have only a few "official BMW agreed" wheels for your car??? that's it!

So, you will have to choose between "look" and "tires"... that life, man!

Nevertheless, I also have a Porsche Carrera 2... and believe me... everythime I change the rear tires... I know exactely why...!

Quick Reply: BAD Rear Tire Wear on Dunlop Runflats