E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bad luck at the Dealer today.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

I posted two days ago about my car stalling on the way home. Took it to the dealer this morning. Explained that when the car was warmer up it would stall when trying to take off with revs. at 500rpm. Felt starved for fuel. They called a couple hours later and said it was the thermostat. He did say this was the first step and the faults were saying this was the problem. Called a few hours later and he said they thought it was fixed but when the car warmed up it stalled again. He said it seemed starved for fuel, the exact words I used when I brought it in. Now they say I need a new fuel pump at $1150.00. I told him I'd pick it up and get a second opinion. My $350.00 thermostat charge was $500.00 when I picked it up and I told them no. He said that was the extra time to try and diagnose the issue. I told him "so I'm leaving here with the same problem and you want $500.00?" They knocked a hundred off. Talked to another BMW repair place and he said the need to look at the fuel filter, injectors etc..and if it is running ok on the open road (it is) it probably isn't the fuel pump. Drove home from the dealer $400.00 poorer with my left foot on the brake and my right foot keeping the revs. above 1,000 when coming to a stop. In fact when they brought it out to me at the dealership I put it into park and it died. What do you think?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Did you check the pressure regulating valves? Its a very common issue that will make the car run like crap, stalling being one of the larger issues. It creates an internal vacuum leak. Try cleaning your mass air flow sensor as well. They sell cleaner at any autoparts store. You can do both of these things yourself and in your driveway with very basic hand tools. Stay away from that dealer. They're guessing and throwing parts at it. I HIGHLY doubt that car needs a fuel pump.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Members

it could be that the fuel pump is slowly going bad, not putting out the specified pressure. I had an old e-34 540 that would do pretty much the same thing. checked the fuel pressure and it was below the factory specified output. replaced fuel pump and ran great
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
it could be that the fuel pump is slowly going bad, not putting out the specified pressure. I had an old e-34 540 that would do pretty much the same thing. checked the fuel pressure and it was below the factory specified output. replaced fuel pump and ran great
+1 Checking fuel pressure is a simple procedure that any BMW service center should be able to do.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by pukka
+1 Checking fuel pressure is a simple procedure that any BMW service center should be able to do.
They did. The report says "Checked fuel pressure and pressure is ok. Checked fuel transfer from tanks, ok. 7.2L of fuel in vehicle. Added an additional 5L of fuel, same symptoms. Rechecked fuel pressures and found fuel pressure occasionally would very low with key in the on position. Suspect intermitant failure with fuel p[ump. Consulted team leader. Suggest replacing fuel pump and filter."
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Had an X5 with a similar issue and it wound up being a vacuum hose was leaking and would not run at idle and would stall. I had to drive just like what you are describing with one foot on the accelerator at all times. You could check your hoses for leaks and connection as an additional step.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Please change those pressure regulating valves. I would bet money thats what the issue is!!! The way you describe its running, it has a vacuum leak, most likely internal (those two or one of thosevalves). There is an orange grommet inside each one, and one or both is probably torn (age and mileage). Its not fuel pressure related. If you have low fuel pressure at idle, you'll have less driving. Its NOT fuel related!!

I wish i lived local to you so i could show you how ignorant that dealership is and fix your problem for 60$ worth of parts.

Here, i even gave you a diagram and part #.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=11&fg=15

Number 13 in this diagram!

FWIW, i've never seen or heard of a fuel pump failing on a 545. that drop of fuel pressure they are seeing is probably due to the priming of the pump and kicking off after the key on, engine off.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

It sure sounds like a vaccuum leak. When your car has rough idleing or stalls, a good (old school) mechanic will first check to see if any hoses or their connections has some type of leak.

I too had the rough/low idleing symtoms like you (and CEL) but not to the extent of having to keep the revs up with the gas pedal.

Check out my thread on the Pressure Regulating Valves:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/853...ssion-no-more/

This is very easy to do and CHEAPER. I'd seriously attemp to at least check these valves first before replacing the fuel pump. I'm not implying this is your problem (the PRV's) but just another option to think about. Good luck

I had great pics in that thread, pics to go along with the repair step-by-step but somehow they're now gone. PM if you have any questions.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

I had a similar problem, and the dealer replaced the PCV valves (vacuum leak), and that solved the problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

guys, i've already made 3 posts about it in this thread about those. I dont know what else it will take for the OP to understand what i'm saying.

Quick Reply: Bad luck at the Dealer today.