E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bad lifters?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panaguy' post='728831' date='Nov 22 2008, 10:09 PM
To all other 530 drivers out there. I had the valve ticking or tapping noises intermittently with my '07 530xi on cold starts also (even "cold starts" in the summer). I brought it in twice complaining about the same problem that my car sounded ghetto like an old Chevy with bad lifters. My car only had about 27~28K miles. The first time they said they couldn't duplicate it and sent me on my way. The second time it was still ticking away when I got to the dealer and the mechanic heard it and said there is a SIB bulletin to "purge" the oil passages in the head assembly where air bubbles were trapped preventing proper oil circulation on cold starts hence the ticking noise (as far as I am concerned any metal to metal sound is a no no so I knew something had to be wrong.) Well I get the car back and 1 week later the ticking starts back again and I call the dealer for my third trip in to fix the problem. WTF This time they kept it for a couple days and my service advisor calls me back and says that after speaking to BMWUSA Service "they have been advised to change the ENTIRE cylinder head under warranty" and BMW was flying in a complete "bolt on" aligned engine head/valve assembly from the factory in Germany for my car. Upon further prodding he tells me that the new head is a redesign of the original with a special bleed down/purge valve to prevent air bubbles from forming, after the car sits for a few hours, in the oil channels blocking oil flow on cold starts like the original they are swapping out. After they got the parts I took it back and it took them only a day to fix and everything was put back together properly in the engine compartment from what I can tell.

Bottom line, I got a whole new engine top end and now the car runs perfectly and NO cold start "Chevy truck" valve ticking or tapping whatever you want to call it even with the temps now dipping in to the 20's (F) recently here in NJ
Sounds good, but I honestly don't know if I want to go through all of that. I'm probably going to dump this car soon. The local dealers here are horrible and it will be a big hassle getting anything from them without repeated trips and talks with many employees.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by panaguy' post='728831' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:09 PM
To all other 530 drivers out there. I had the valve ticking or tapping noises intermittently with my '07 530xi on cold starts also (even "cold starts" in the summer). I brought it in twice complaining about the same problem that my car sounded ghetto like an old Chevy with bad lifters. My car only had about 27~28K miles. The first time they said they couldn't duplicate it and sent me on my way. The second time it was still ticking away when I got to the dealer and the mechanic heard it and said there is a SIB bulletin to "purge" the oil passages in the head assembly where air bubbles were trapped preventing proper oil circulation on cold starts hence the ticking noise (as far as I am concerned any metal to metal sound is a no no so I knew something had to be wrong.) Well I get the car back and 1 week later the ticking starts back again and I call the dealer for my third trip in to fix the problem. WTF This time they kept it for a couple days and my service advisor calls me back and says that after speaking to BMWUSA Service "they have been advised to change the ENTIRE cylinder head under warranty" and BMW was flying in a complete "bolt on" aligned engine head/valve assembly from the factory in Germany for my car. Upon further prodding he tells me that the new head is a redesign of the original with a special bleed down/purge valve to prevent air bubbles from forming, after the car sits for a few hours, in the oil channels blocking oil flow on cold starts like the original they are swapping out. After they got the parts I took it back and it took them only a day to fix and everything was put back together properly in the engine compartment from what I can tell.

Bottom line, I got a whole new engine top end and now the car runs perfectly and NO cold start "Chevy truck" valve ticking or tapping whatever you want to call it even with the temps now dipping in to the 20's (F) recently here in NJ
Some questions:
  • What is the Month / Year birthdate of your 530xi?
  • Do you know if the revised cylinder head had been incorporated in later production date 6 cyl engines?
  • What dealer did the work on your xi? ?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Members

My Ride: my ride which i just bought is 2005 530i with all the fruit cept no tv or dvd GRR haha :)

glad to hear someone got this problem resolved and ur lucky u got warranty..i got no warranty on myne so i new engine might be a tad to much! my car is stil at the mechanics and still havnt heard nothing from them! i just hope ur noise doesnt start again with ur new engine GOOD LUCK
and oh yerr so its the oil circulation is it ? hmm il let my mechanic know see wot he reckons so i payed $2000 to change the lifters for nothing..DAMN haha anyways see wot happens

Originally Posted by panaguy' post='728831' date='Nov 23 2008, 01:09 PM

Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='728836' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:19 PM
Some questions:
  • What is the Month / Year birthdate of your 530xi?
  • Do you know if the revised cylinder head had been incorporated in later production date 6 cyl engines?
  • What dealer did the work on your xi? ?
Hi luigi524td!

1) The month and year build date of my "07 530xi is March, 2006.
2) They didn't say if it a running change was made in production using the revised head. Having worked for a major Japanese consumer electronics company for over 30 years in product management I would say "yes" since that was always the case with the factories I dealt with. Why would BMW knowingly continue to produce these engines without the modified parts once a complaint and its solution has been found? According to my Repair Order the part number for the N52 engine revised head assembly was 11-12-1-557-208 (although Real OEM does not recognize it)
3) BMW of Freehold in Freehold, NJ did the work

Regards