E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bad condensation in headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I cant seem to get rid of the condensation in one of my headlights, iv seen on forums that it needs to be sealed, anyone know how and
What is the best way to do it, thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

this is a sealed headlight. If you have condensaiton it's probably because the bulb covers are no on right. Take the cover off and leave it off and put car in the sun for a while. probably will take a few days for it to dry up the condensation. From there, you can make sure the covers are on fully. Unless you have a crack in the light?

You can also take the lights out and use a high powered vacuum to suck condensation out but that would my secondary option.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Or throw it in the oven. Depending on how bad it is, half an hour to an hour should do it.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Or that too. lol. Thing is the sun doesn't require you to take the lamp out
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
But that'll take days. And if the weather is no good there, that'll suck even more.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Several hours drive time with your headlights turned on should dry them out. Then look for loose connections at the bulb holders that could cause cold, damp air [you are in the UK] to get sucked in and condense on the colder lamp lenses.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Several hours drive time with your headlights turned on should dry them out. Then look for loose connections at the bulb holders that could cause cold, damp air [you are in the UK] to get sucked in and condense on the colder lamp lenses.
I actually would advise against this. The reason is that if the water is hard water, or other contamination, when you have the headlights on, low beam or with high beam as well, it'll cause hard water spots on the inside lens of the headlight.

Obviously this would be a very shitty situation, as there's no real good way of cleaning it short of cutting open the headlight.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

When mine was wet I removed the round cover and open the other cover, then I propped a hair drier in the round hole and turn it on low. I made sure nothing was going to melt and I walked away. I don't know how long it took because I got a phone call and forgot about it, but when I came back it was dry.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by healthservices
When mine was wet I removed the round cover and open the other cover, then I propped a hair drier in the round hole and turn it on low. I made sure nothing was going to melt and I walked away. I don't know how long it took because I got a phone call and forgot about it, but when I came back it was dry.
+1 I did the same once on a different headlight a long time along and it works well. Also used low pressure compressed air another time, just make sure your air runs through a good water sep/dryer so you don't send more water inside the light.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I actually would advise against this. The reason is that if the water is hard water, or other contamination, when you have the headlights on, low beam or with high beam as well, it'll cause hard water spots on the inside lens of the headlight.

Obviously this would be a very shitty situation, as there's no real good way of cleaning it short of cutting open the headlight.
I actually have hard water spots in my headlights...I wonder if I can drop some sort of solution in them...let them sit...then drain and throw them in the oven or something..

Quick Reply: Bad condensation in headlight