E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Back on RFTs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
well I disagree on the RFTs. I just found the goodyears to be too soft and lost road feedback. RFTs are too heavy to be ultimate sport tires and that's why m series cars don't have them. I do like the added safety of not having to pull over with a flat.

For longer trips as I often do I'm sure the goodyears will be missed.
that's a fair point, there is an undoubted safety benefit with an RFT.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

I never have had an issue with RFT's. Too bad I couldn't find a set of 19's that fit my wheels.

Anyways, I have a set of virtually new OEM 18's for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I too am a RFT fan. Three of my five sets (110K miles worth) have been RFTs. One set of non-RFTs was in response to what now appears to be outrageous claims of MUCH quieter, MUCH smoother ride, and MUCH better grip for the Michelin PS2s. I could hardly tell any difference from my RFTs and did not like their performance in autocross/aggressive twisty road type driving. Even at really high pressure I felt like turn on was not as crisp as RFT. Of course RFT has that super stiff sidewall which makes all the good and bad part of RFTs. I switched back to OEM (Bridgestone) RFTs and was a happy camper. Then I purchased some 20 inch rims that already had Pirelli PZero Assymetrics. Was not very please with them either. Those of course had to be a lower profile than the OEMs so there was no inporvement in ride and no other benefit could be found. Those five sets of tires were very simialr in price. All but the Pirelli's were purchased from Tire Rack. Right now I am experimenting with Hankook Ventus V12s at a little less than 1/2 the price of any of the afore mentioned tires. I am running the 20 inchers right now as I get my OEM Flowerpower wheels refinished and will then mount OEM size V12s on them for a try as well. So far I am happier with these V12s than I ever was with the PZeros or PS2s. BUT... ToD aggressive driving is scheduled for two weeks from now so that will be my decesion maker. But at less than 1/2 the cost if they are even close I just may stay with them. One more thing in favor of RFTs, I always got more mileage out of the RFTs than either of the non-RFT brands I tried.

Now I must admit my daily driving is on the very good Central Florida roads which pretty much run either east/west or north/south in pretty straight lines. So I am generally not playing with rough roads or pot holes. I check tire pressure no less than every tank of gas and probably more often than that. I log pressures in a database and track feel/performance so I probably extend my mileage by keeping my pressures optimum. I tend to be on the high side of recommended pressures watching wear patterns of course for any adjustment. Fronts are adjusted to keep from rolling over the marks of optimum adheasion on the tires (the little triangles located at the edge of the tread), but may be lower for my less aggressive daily driving (non autocross, non aggressive twisty road driving)

It's also just possible that the more sporty chassis feel of the 6er may negate some of the inherant differences of the RFT versus non-RFT but I really doubt it. The 5er sport chassis should be very much like a 6er.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi Sport
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by Theo
As long as you live/travel in an area where the road conditions are good I found several of them to be an excellent fit, no comfort issues and I actually liked the feedback.
Whenever the roads are significantly less then pristine however they are a nuisance, so BMW's choice to adopt them as standard overall does not seem like a thought out one to me.
It's a safety - or perception of safety - issue. If you give your wife your car and she gets a flat tire, do you want her trying to change the tire on the side of the road at night? No, you just have her drive it home to the nice, warm, well-lit garage where you can swap out the tire in the company of an adult beverage and some music.

That's not an original idea, I read it in Roundel or something.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

i don't have any experience with run flats, but here in dallas my two friends with bmw's have the run flats and are constantly replacing them (maybe 2-3 a year). i guess it really does depend on where you live/drive.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau

Originally Posted by swajames
Some manufacturers such as Michelin are effectively getting out of the RFT business. As for expense, the RFTs are usually no more expensive than the mid to higher-end standard tires, and they're much more difficult to find if you need one in a hurry. The issue with RFTs isn't that they are expensive, it's their poor availability.
Treadlife on RFT's is worse than comparable non run flats.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Excession
Treadlife on RFT's is worse than comparable non run flats.
Not my real life experience. Each set of Bridgestone RFTs did about 5k more miles than either the PS2s or PZeros (about 23.5k miles avg versus 18K miles) and the RFT fronts were especially better than their non-RFT counterparts.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav
I too am a RFT fan. Three of my five sets (110K miles worth) have been RFTs. One set of non-RFTs was in response to what now appears to be outrageous claims of MUCH quieter, MUCH smoother ride, and MUCH better grip for the Michelin PS2s. I could hardly tell any difference from my RFTs and did not like their performance in autocross/aggressive twisty road type driving. Even at really high pressure I felt like turn on was not as crisp as RFT. Of course RFT has that super stiff sidewall which makes all the good and bad part of RFTs. I switched back to OEM (Bridgestone) RFTs and was a happy camper. Then I purchased some 20 inch rims that already had Pirelli PZero Assymetrics. Was not very please with them either. Those of course had to be a lower profile than the OEMs so there was no inporvement in ride and no other benefit could be found. Those five sets of tires were very simialr in price. All but the Pirelli's were purchased from Tire Rack. Right now I am experimenting with Hankook Ventus V12s at a little less than 1/2 the price of any of the afore mentioned tires. I am running the 20 inchers right now as I get my OEM Flowerpower wheels refinished and will then mount OEM size V12s on them for a try as well. So far I am happier with these V12s than I ever was with the PZeros or PS2s. BUT... ToD aggressive driving is scheduled for two weeks from now so that will be my decesion maker. But at less than 1/2 the cost if they are even close I just may stay with them. One more thing in favor of RFTs, I always got more mileage out of the RFTs than either of the non-RFT brands I tried.

Now I must admit my daily driving is on the very good Central Florida roads which pretty much run either east/west or north/south in pretty straight lines. So I am generally not playing with rough roads or pot holes. I check tire pressure no less than every tank of gas and probably more often than that. I log pressures in a database and track feel/performance so I probably extend my mileage by keeping my pressures optimum. I tend to be on the high side of recommended pressures watching wear patterns of course for any adjustment. Fronts are adjusted to keep from rolling over the marks of optimum adheasion on the tires (the little triangles located at the edge of the tread), but may be lower for my less aggressive daily driving (non autocross, non aggressive twisty road driving)

It's also just possible that the more sporty chassis feel of the 6er may negate some of the inherant differences of the RFT versus non-RFT but I really doubt it. The 5er sport chassis should be very much like a 6er.
The jury is still very much out for me regarding the rft debate, but can say i do have similar findings to date as the above.A very brief rundown of my ongoing wheel/tyre e60 battles. My e60 came with 18in rft's and the ride quality was terrible. With all the claims that non rft's were a cure all i changed to be dissapointed, at normal pressures the handling/stability were poor, but a small improvement in ride quality ( didnt fustify the outlay ) up the pressures to improve handling/stability and any improvement in ride went out the window. Also found that at normal pressures on a long run the heat build up in the tyre would up the pressures again loosing any ride improvements. Got so disheartened by them , i ditched and went back to the basics of 16in rims thinking that would be the best case scenario for ride quality, and work from there ( at the expense of aesthetics )The ride quality was indeed ok but not without fault showing that the bulk of ride probs comes from the chassis, not tyres. Lived with them for a long time before switching between the 16in big non rft tyres and 17in rft frequently to draw comparison. As said still undecided but the rft does seem well suited to the e60 chassis and cant help but think the suspension setup is tuned for the rft. The saga continues..

As a side note, when you guys over the pond are commenting on ride quality etc what sort of cruising speeds are you doing over there to make these judgements if you dont mind me asking, are you talking 50-55 mph ish or 70-80-90 mph ish ?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
I cracked my rear 124s with nonRFTs. I'm sure RFTs are harder on the rims though.
I've always thought to myself, whether RFTs can be the deciding contributing factor in rim cracks... I think they are.

Dude, 6er feels NO sportier than an E60. And wear on ALL of RFTs I've ever had was always horrible. But I do tend to make turns a lot

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i don't have any experience with run flats, but here in dallas my two friends with bmw's have the run flats and are constantly replacing them (maybe 2-3 a year). i guess it really does depend on where you live/drive.
Exactly! Even people who don't have RFTs know they wear out too quick!

Not my real life experience. Each set of Bridgestone RFTs did about 5k more miles than either the PS2s or PZeros (about 23.5k miles avg versus 18K miles) and the RFT fronts were especially better than their non-RFT counterparts.
Just FYI: the best tires in terms of wear I've been able to find so far are the Continental Extreme DWS. According to their wear rating, they are supposed to last 70k miles plus. I have a set of four on my car right now, which I purchased a few months ago, so I sure hope I can get some good mileage out of them. Heck, if I get half of that, I'll be amazed.

Originally Posted by Rob Hall
The jury is still very much out for me regarding the rft debate, but can say i do have similar findings to date as the above.A very brief rundown of my ongoing wheel/tyre e60 battles. My e60 came with 18in rft's and the ride quality was terrible. With all the claims that non rft's were a cure all i changed to be dissapointed, at normal pressures the handling/stability were poor, but a small improvement in ride quality ( didnt fustify the outlay ) up the pressures to improve handling/stability and any improvement in ride went out the window. Also found that at normal pressures on a long run the heat build up in the tyre would up the pressures again loosing any ride improvements. Got so disheartened by them , i ditched and went back to the basics of 16in rims thinking that would be the best case scenario for ride quality, and work from there ( at the expense of aesthetics )The ride quality was indeed ok but not without fault showing that the bulk of ride probs comes from the chassis, not tyres. Lived with them for a long time before switching between the 16in big non rft tyres and 17in rft frequently to draw comparison. As said still undecided but the rft does seem well suited to the e60 chassis and cant help but think the suspension setup is tuned for the rft. The saga continues..

As a side note, when you guys over the pond are commenting on ride quality etc what sort of cruising speeds are you doing over there to make these judgements if you dont mind me asking, are you talking 50-55 mph ish or 70-80-90 mph ish ?
I'm sure the stiff sidewalls are great for handling - I know that from my own experience. But real-life usability is awful with all the bubbles and cracked rims. Factor that in with a higher price and fast wear, and RFTs just become too bothersome for someone like myself. I might consider them for my 19s when I get them, but I need something that will cause the least amount of problems - not most.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I've always thought to myself, whether RFTs can be the deciding contributing factor in rim cracks... I think they are.

Dude, 6er feels NO sportier than an E60. And wear on ALL of RFTs I've ever had was always horrible. But I do tend to make turns a lot
I only bent (not cracked) one rim and that was on non-RFT, but on 20 inch so lower profile tire.

I only have 18,444 hard curves counting only the Tail of the Dragon and no other roads. Generally taken a 2x over posted recommendation which is not a "speed limit".

Speeds on Cherohala Skyway (also in NC and TN) curves have exceeded 120 MPH but only when using 2-way radios and lead car calls all clear. Do like the safety feature of RFTs when doing that kind of speed on curves. BTW, have not counted the number of curves on Cherohala but easily in excess of 80.
Attached Thumbnails Back on RFTs-todposter2005.jpg   Back on RFTs-img_1926crop_1024.jpg  

Quick Reply: Back on RFTs