E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Back on RFTs

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

finally got some used 124s that I've been looking for a long time. I like the stock look and just wanted pristine and straight wheels. Anyway, rims came with Dunlop RFTs and are in good shape. Took off my 5K Goodyear Assymetrics and put on the Dunlops. Wow. Its my old car again. Firmer ride and alot more sporty. I like the RFTs better. I might be the only one prefering the RFTs.

On the downside, they are slightly louder and the old rattling noise from my indicator stalk is back. That said, I'm staying with the RFTs and will put the Goodyears back on when the RFTs wear out. Or maybe I'll just sell them.

this makes me think now. Maybe I should get more RFTs and stockpile em.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

I get the rattling noise from the indicator stalk as well.

I have found if you press the trip button (bottom one) inwards as hard as you can it stops sometimes. Also, I have found that if you put your finger nail behind it and pull the swith (small button) towards you, it stiffens it up and stops rattling for a bit until you get a bumpy road.

Anyone else got any idea how to stop this annnoying fault without buying a new stalk?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by nevrev73
I get the rattling noise from the indicator stalk as well.

I have found if you press the trip button (bottom one) inwards as hard as you can it stops sometimes. Also, I have found that if you put your finger nail behind it and pull the swith (small button) towards you, it stiffens it up and stops rattling for a bit until you get a bumpy road.

Anyone else got any idea how to stop this annnoying fault without buying a new stalk?
it's annoying for sure as the car is otherwise rock solid. This deserves it's own thread
Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I had this happen to me once - bought a pair of near-perfect used RFTs and thought I was loving it... until I cracked a rim, got three bubbles and subsequently, deflated RFTs repeatedly. Funny how run-flats always seem to wanna get flat on me

Then I came back to my senses and got me a set of Conti DWS tires - the noise went away, there are no shakes/rattles, potholes don't break my heart anymore. On NYC roads, RFTs are definitely too hard for daily use I do know what you mean about the handling though...
Old 09-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

No true BMW performance car (M3/M5/M6) has run flat tires and the adoption of RFT's from higher-end performance manufacturers is close to zero. If RFT's did bring meaningful performance benefits, the adoption rate by manufacturers would be much higher. Firmness and an inability to deal with road imperfections doesn't equate to sportiness. The stock RFT's on a BMW are, quite simply, dreadful tires.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm pretty sure RFTs will become the new standard for tires pretty soon, just haven't been developed into a fully civilized tire for some conditions yet. But they'll come around. And I must add, I'm not against that at all - I love the security of not having to worry about flats, damaging rims by rolling on flat tires and so forth. Just that right now they are still a little too expensive, too harsh and too impractical for me.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'm pretty sure RFTs will become the new standard for tires pretty soon, just haven't been developed into a fully civilized tire for some conditions yet. But they'll come around. And I must add, I'm not against that at all - I love the security of not having to worry about flats, damaging rims by rolling on flat tires and so forth. Just that right now they are still a little too expensive, too harsh and too impractical for me.
Quite the reverse, V... Some manufacturers such as Michelin are effectively getting out of the RFT business. As for expense, the RFTs are usually no more expensive than the mid to higher-end standard tires, and they're much more difficult to find if you need one in a hurry. The issue with RFTs isn't that they are expensive, it's their poor availability.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

As long as you live/travel in an area where the road conditions are good I found several of them to be an excellent fit, no comfort issues and I actually liked the feedback.
Whenever the roads are significantly less then pristine however they are a nuisance, so BMW's choice to adopt them as standard overall does not seem like a thought out one to me.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
No true BMW performance car (M3/M5/M6) has run flat tires and the adoption of RFT's from higher-end performance manufacturers is close to zero. If RFT's did bring meaningful performance benefits, the adoption rate by manufacturers would be much higher. Firmness and an inability to deal with road imperfections doesn't equate to sportiness. The stock RFT's on a BMW are, quite simply, dreadful tires.
well I disagree on the RFTs. I just found the goodyears to be too soft and lost road feedback. RFTs are too heavy to be ultimate sport tires and that's why m series cars don't have them. I do like the added safety of not having to pull over with a flat.

For longer trips as I often do I'm sure the goodyears will be missed.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I had this happen to me once - bought a pair of near-perfect used RFTs and thought I was loving it... until I cracked a rim, got three bubbles and subsequently, deflated RFTs repeatedly. Funny how run-flats always seem to wanna get flat on me

Then I came back to my senses and got me a set of Conti DWS tires - the noise went away, there are no shakes/rattles, potholes don't break my heart anymore. On NYC roads, RFTs are definitely too hard for daily use I do know what you mean about the handling though...
I cracked my rear 124s with nonRFTs. I'm sure RFTs are harder on the rims though.

Quick Reply: Back on RFTs