E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby needs new shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

I have an '04 545i Sport Package with the stock wheels and tires on it (Dunlop Run Flats - DSSP Sport). I hate them. They are noisy, and they "track" on the highway like crazy.

I am probably going to put my winter wheels/tires on a little early this year as I contemplate what to replace my worn tires with: in the mean time, I'd LOVE to hear what you have replaced with, do you like/love them, would you buy them again?

I look forward to some spirited dialogue.

Franko
Old 09-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Hankook V12's strickly on price. So much more affordable then Conti's or PS2's.....

+ My Hankooks have lasted longer then the stock conti's did and the first set of PS2's i bought

Hankook all the way!
Discounttiredirect.com
Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I have the same car as you and just went through this after researching... I went with Conti DWS's(and love them) since I live in the Northeast and get snow and ice. I garage my car for much of the winter but for those days when I get surprised with the weather I have a bit more piece of mind. I looked at the Hankooks as well and the price was great, but they were nothing more than a summer performance tire and I didnt want to have to spend the $$ on a winter setup too.

Edit: Now I see you have a winter setup so maybe its just performance you are looking for.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Michelin Pilot Sport AS....i had these on my jaguar S-type and i loved them....sticky as hell....the best tires in the rain....pretty good in snow, but nothing to write home to mom about. overall some of the best tires ive ever had.

summer tires....Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

but i hear nothing beats blizzacks for winter tires (in the snow that is)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Wouldn't "shoes" imply wheels? In this case, wouldn't it be "soles"?

I'm going to follow this thread as I'm going to have new tires mounted on the stock rims when I put the winter wheels/tires on.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Kinda light feedback...what, are you all working?

Are those my best options? Michelin PS2's or Conti DWS?

I'd love to hear more feedback!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Franko
Kinda light feedback...what, are you all working?

Are those my best options? Michelin PS2's or Conti DWS?

I'd love to hear more feedback!

If you are looking for faster info you may want to search the topic of "tires"... there have been a ton of threads discussing this over the past year. I think TireRack also has a pretty comprehensive review of a number of the tires discussed, just as an FYI.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Members

Thanks - I did take a look at several searches. I guess I was looking for some more current input.

Say, do I have to use run flats? Of just need to be sure my dinky doughnut spare is inflated?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Franko
Thanks - I did take a look at several searches. I guess I was looking for some more current input.

Say, do I have to use run flats? Of just need to be sure my dinky doughnut spare is inflated?
You absolutely DO NOT HAVE TO use run flats... There are many arguments for and against here in the forum, but after replacing one for just over $400 in an emergency situation and then doing some research, I realized for 2 run flats I could get an entire set of 4 kick as* performance tires. My 545 came with a spare which I am sure you have as well... just make sure its ready to go.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
Hankook V12's strickly on price. So much more affordable then Conti's or PS2's.....

+ My Hankooks have lasted longer then the stock conti's did and the first set of PS2's i bought

Hankook all the way!
Discounttiredirect.com
I agree completely. My Hankooks are excellent tires and at about $170 for each front and $190 for each rear are a super bargain. I get mine from tirerack.com

Quick Reply: Baby needs new shoes!