E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auxiliary Heater Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I can see this on my I drive, and I can adjust the timer settings, but I'm not sure if it's working, or indeed if I am even operating it correctly. Is there an easy way to tell ?

Do I need to get the engine up to operating temperature first ?

Is this feature different to the "REST" button on the Advanced air con controls ?

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Rest........

This is for using residual heat from your car AFTER the car is warmed up, so for example when parked at Tesco waiting for the wife to come back I can keep warm without keeping engine running.

Aux Heater thing.......I got this too

Se the timer, then it will come on by itself at that time, for 15 or 30mins I cant remember now, on my car tho it only appears to blow ambient temps not HOT if car is cold first thing in the morning, it does still seem to clear the windows of ice however

I wonder if there is another optional part missing from the full setup to allow hot air auto on feature, according to the manual this system "ultimately" combines with remote starting or something, think we just got the poor mans option myself.........
Old 12-17-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

From what I recall an auxiliary heater would contravene UK Construction and Use regulations so it's not available in the UK.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 525i SE Auto - My first BMW & RWD !

Ups, I just posted a similar question! Will have to take it down now. But first - Phantom Mark, if I may ask, is your car UK spec one, and if yes, do you see two options for independent - ventilation and independent - heating? My car has just got the ventilation, so I was trying to get the heating added also ...

Thanks and sorry for the repeat,
M-Leon
Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

Yes im UK, so my car is UK spec........

I have a feeling mine says independant ventilation ......I will go and see to be sure
Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Members

Thanks, it would be quite interesting to see if anybody in UK has the independent heating...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Senior Members

Mine just says "Independent Mode", the icon has some upward drafting arrows on it...............
Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

Previous posters have got the right answers, basically independant mode covers both ventilation and heating, ventilation is included on my spec as well and allows for timed start for 15 mins of the blower only, you can set the temp but you will only get and residual heat which may exist within the engine, ie.e morning cold.. but it can help clear frost. A remote is available for when you forget to set the time previously.

The aux heating system is a standalone heater which can be turned on to add heat if called for by the temp setting you have set. As stated, not legal in the UK but saw this in action last week in Finland and it is very effective.

The BMW heater is made by Webasto. If BMW doesn't sell a kit for post-sale installation, then an option might be to go direct, although not sure what the costs for install might be..

http://www.webasto.co.uk/am/en/am_automobile_3177.html

rgds

Carlo
Old 12-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Members

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer! I can see why the heater is legal in Finland

Great forum ...
Old 12-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

I wonder, is there a way to make my car remember by timed settings for the blower ??? keeps forgetting ?

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Heater Question