E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux in and Ipod interface

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does having the Ipod interface installed automatically mean losing the aux-in? I want the first, but like to keep the latter, for watching dvd's on my laptop for example.

Otherwise, it should not be that hard for someone to come up with a connector to hook up the ipod adaptor end to an aux plug.
It's just wiring right?

Any electronical geniuses here?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Members

I can't really answer your question but I just want to mention that the AUX in will be in the standard options for the E60 facelift. I have not seen this in the documentation ... but it was confirmed by BMW.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Contributors

No. iPod interface only make you lose your CD Changer. You can have AUX IN and iPod Interface at the same time. Cheers.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='383224' date='Jan 25 2007, 02:46 PM
No. iPod interface only make you lose your CD Changer. You can have AUX IN and iPod Interface at the same time. Cheers.
The other question is can you have the iPod MOST interface AND the USB interface?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='383224' date='Jan 25 2007, 03:46 PM
^^^What he said.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 328xi Sports Wagon w/ premium, sound, nav, ipod, manual trans

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='383399' date='Jan 25 2007, 05:38 PM
^^^What he said.
Actually I am led to understand that the facelift Ipod interface does NOT use the CD Changer controls and does not eliminate CD changer from your option list.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by forceten' post='383469' date='Jan 26 2007, 09:20 AM
Actually I am led to understand that the facelift Ipod interface does NOT use the CD Changer controls and does not eliminate CD changer from your option list.
I doubt BMW will come up with a whole new iPod Interface just to go with the facelift. Remember how long it took them to even release a fully intergrated ipod solution for the idrive? I think you will still lose the CD changer if you get the iPod interface, unless the connection is made with the USB interface instead of replacing the CD changer, but then you can just connect your ipod directly to the USB instead of an ipod interface right? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='383498' date='Jan 26 2007, 03:16 AM
with the USB interface instead of replacing the CD changer, but then you can just connect your ipod directly to the USB instead of an ipod interface right?
I am going to jump on this hobby-horse again

- the USB port probably won't work properly with iPods (specifically music you purchase on the iTunes store which is in the protect AAC format).
- it is in a stupid location for the USB and Aux In... would you really leave you expensive iPod or MP3 player dangling out of the rear console? It should be inside the centre console as it is in the E90 or at least ... in the glovebox like the MOST kit
- the USB port is expensive (Option6FL, ?205 in the UK)... this would put it @ ?300-400 in other countries depending on where you live. Fairly saucy for something so poorly designed and so crippled...

Compare this to the iPod MOST interface
- it works with iPods perfectly including iTMS purchased music
- your iPod is hidden away in the glovebox out of harms way
- it's around the same price as the USB thing

I think the choice is fairly obvious (if you are a committed iPod user at least)
Old 01-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='383618' date='Jan 26 2007, 06:27 AM
I am going to jump on this hobby-horse again

- the USB port probably won't work properly with iPods (specifically music you purchase on the iTunes store which is in the protect AAC format).
- it is in a stupid location for the USB and Aux In... would you really leave you expensive iPod or MP3 player dangling out of the rear console? It should be inside the centre console as it is in the E90 or at least ... in the glovebox like the MOST kit
- the USB port is expensive (Option6FL, ?205 in the UK)... this would put it @ ?300-400 in other countries depending on where you live. Fairly saucy for something so poorly designed and so crippled...

Compare this to the iPod MOST interface
- it works with iPods perfectly including iTMS purchased music
- your iPod is hidden away in the glovebox out of harms way
- it's around the same price as the USB thing

I think the choice is fairly obvious (if you are a committed iPod user at least)
WOudl the usb support flash memory? That would eliminate the need for any MP3 type player OTHER than the IPOD.

IM not sure what the USB port would actually accomplish other than it being basically being an audio input.

The ipod integration on the iDrive is what makes it special as well as the MOST sound imporovement. My sons Ipod MOST connected to his Alpine unit sounds excellent. Still misisng a little compared to CD, but very very nice. I would suspect that the iPod would sound a bit better than Sat radio but still not quite up to CD quality.

I'll find out in about 3 weeks!