E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Aux Input Woes in 2007 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you might have seen from another topic, I'm loving my new 2007 550i except for... the AUXiliary input! Especially when I play music that is recorded at a softer level (read higher amplification) through my iPhone or iPod I'm getting a LOT of interference (high frequency noise and tones), too much to enjoy the music. At the same volume level I do not hear the interference when the navigation cuts in or the radio is on.

I brought it to the dealer and the service person claimed it was "Normal" - can anybody else attest to that? Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by Pianoman26
As you might have seen from another topic, I'm loving my new 2007 550i except for... the AUXiliary input! Especially when I play music that is recorded at a softer level (read higher amplification) through my iPhone or iPod I'm getting a LOT of interference (high frequency noise and tones), too much to enjoy the music. At the same volume level I do not hear the interference when the navigation cuts in or the radio is on.

I brought it to the dealer and the service person claimed it was "Normal" - can anybody else attest to that? Thanks in advance!!
Have you tried playing with the settings on the iPhone equalizer - I think there is a mode that boosts or normalizes the output level.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wolf
Have you tried playing with the settings on the iPhone equalizer - I think there is a mode that boosts or normalizes the output level.
Appreciate the suggestion! Unfortunately, you can even hear the interference with the iPhone on pause so I don't believe it's related to any settings on the device; are you using the Aux w/o any issues?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

I am using the AUX in on my 08 528i hooked to my iPhone and I have no problem with the sound. You might want to try another audio cable, or another device if possible. The other thing that comes to mind is that the sound coming out of the headphone jack on iPods/iPhones is volume-dependent, whereas the sound out of the bottom(dock) connector is line-level(constant volume). Google "ipod cable dock connector to line level" to find a cable that plugs into the bottom of your iPhone, and has a line-level 1/8th inch jack on the other end. Also, make sure you don't have the volume cranked too high on the iPhone. I usually have mine two "click" below the max volume, and then I control the volume on the stereo.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Heres the steps ive taken for better sound quality
- Aux mod (you take out the resistors)
- Update all of your songs and put their volume all the way to the max (you do this by selecting all, or just one and pressing "ctrl i" or mac users is "apple i" Then hit the options tab and you will see "volume adjustment" Turn that up to +100%
- When playing a song from your ipod (depending on the song) i normally keep it 2 clicks from the max.

Also i found it has helped since i have the average crappy sound system to turn the settings on your iphone to bass booster.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Members

Hi,

Don't mean to derail the thread at all...but I am a new 550 owner as well - where exactly is the aux input? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rbcook
I am using the AUX in on my 08 528i hooked to my iPhone and I have no problem with the sound. You might want to try another audio cable, or another device if possible. The other thing that comes to mind is that the sound coming out of the headphone jack on iPods/iPhones is volume-dependent, whereas the sound out of the bottom(dock) connector is line-level(constant volume). Google "ipod cable dock connector to line level" to find a cable that plugs into the bottom of your iPhone, and has a line-level 1/8th inch jack on the other end. Also, make sure you don't have the volume cranked too high on the iPhone. I usually have mine two "click" below the max volume, and then I control the volume on the stereo.
Thanks, I've tried using the headphone jack as well as the dock connector (both on my iPhone and iPod) and all sound equally bad. I'm curious if you have your iPod/iPhone on "pause" and crank up the volume (when plugged into the AUX), do you hear any interference? It's not static, more like a "buzzing" sound.

Originally Posted by tiangco.a
Heres the steps ive taken for better sound quality
- Aux mod (you take out the resistors)
- Update all of your songs and put their volume all the way to the max (you do this by selecting all, or just one and pressing "ctrl i" or mac users is "apple i" Then hit the options tab and you will see "volume adjustment" Turn that up to +100%
- When playing a song from your ipod (depending on the song) i normally keep it 2 clicks from the max.

Also i found it has helped since i have the average crappy sound system to turn the settings on your iphone to bass booster.
Those are some good tips I'll try out. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by taking out the resistors?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nyclio
Hi,

Don't mean to derail the thread at all...but I am a new 550 owner as well - where exactly is the aux input? Thanks!
No problem! Mine is located on the rear passenger climate control panel (not the most convenient spot )...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Hey how and where u take the resister out ? thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Pianoman26
No problem! Mine is located on the rear passenger climate control panel (not the most convenient spot )...
lol yeah i think its a nice spot, but some of my friends said that its weird and useless lolll shame on them hehehe

Quick Reply: Aux Input Woes in 2007 550i