E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUX input installed today - my reaction

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocksta
Here's the link to the AUX Input Resistor Removal instructions.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...tml#post716370

I had my AUX input installed on my 06 530i at the dealership about three weeks ago and I decided NOT to remove the resistor because 1) I wanted to first hear the difference with my own ears and 2) I was concerned about the popping noises that might occur when plugging and removing devices.

I'm no audiophile but I do listen to a lot of music in my car and lackluster sound bothers me greatly. After giving the AUX input a few weeks of use, I regret not removing the resistor.
The sound quality definitely takes a hit. The volume reduction is noticeable but not horrendous. But what I can't ignore is the lack of bass through the AUX input. When I play the same exact mp3 through my iPod and burned onto an mp3 CD, the difference is huge. The mp3 CD just sounds considerably richer with deeper bass that can't be reproduced no matter what you do with the Tone settings in iDrive. Changing the iPod EQ to Bass Booster gives it a distorted crackling bass.

I plan to dust off the soldering iron and remove the resistor on my AUX cable. I'd absolutely recommend to anyone thinking about installing an AUX cable to save yourself the hassle of soldering post-install and to remove the resistor first.
Interesting, so you would say it would be worth the popping noises and what not for somebody to plugs/unplugs his ipod each time he enters/leaves his car? Gonna have mine re-installed soon so I might see if they'll agree to remove the resistor.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Scoops
Interesting, so you would say it would be worth the popping noises and what not for somebody to plugs/unplugs his ipod each time he enters/leaves his car? Gonna have mine re-installed soon so I might see if they'll agree to remove the resistor.
I have my cable modded and it sounds great, never have any problems with my Iphone. Rock Solid