E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUX input installed today - my reaction

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the axillary input installed today on my 2006 550i. $400 later I am definitely not satisfied. The volume does not go near as loud as FM or CD and there is a considerable loss in bass. The cable I'm utilizing to connect my iPod runs from the 3.5mm jack, which they installed in the glove box, to the docking plug on my iPod. It was recommended that I use this cable:

After the reprogram to my computer there is now an "AUX" selection on my screen along with the standard FM, AM, WB, CD, etc. Has anyone else had this install performed with better luck? Any feedback would be great.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I have the aux as standard in the back of my car and my opinion is the same as yours so I rarely use it. Why did you bother getting the aux fitted and not get the 6FL usb/aux retrofit done. That would allow you to control you ipod/iphone via iDrive? You would have also been able to use USB sticks loaded with mp3s.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

OP You should've done it using OEM iPod module if your objective is to fully integrate (song list and all) iPod family into your iDrive.
Or optionally, use Dension GW500 but a rather expensive route.

PS: Just saw one just up for sale http://forums.5serie...ntegration-kit/
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Unfortunately, here in the US it is not possible to retrofit 6FL option to pre-LCI model (Assuming the OP live in the US) so to achieve similar future such as USB we have to use aftermarket product such as Dension GW500.

Originally Posted by Dandle
I have the aux as standard in the back of my car and my opinion is the same as yours so I rarely use it. Why did you bother getting the aux fitted and not get the 6FL usb/aux retrofit done. That would allow you to control you ipod/iphone via iDrive? You would have also been able to use USB sticks loaded with mp3s.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Had the Aux retro fitted to my 04 545i - only option available for this year. Love it! And as for the sound, check your ipod volume - it may be low. I love the way the system sounds. I wish I could control it from the wheel and/or get the song/artist info but again this was my only option. I would tell the dealer somethings not right if the volume seems low.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Contributors

I also have an AUX jack and had the same issues. Took it to BMW recently to look at it, they told me it was faulty and they've ordered a new one. (My subs were not being activated at all through AUX). I also bought the cable which you've shown above. Don't notice a huge quality difference and be warned it doesn't work with ipod touch''s and iphones from my experience. Only had it working with my nano. When I plugged it into my iphone the iphone just played music through it's own speakers.

it's under a 2 year unlimited KM warranty if it was installed by a BMW dealership.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
OP You should've done it using OEM iPod module if your objective is to fully integrate (song list and all) iPod family into your iDrive.
Or optionally, use Dension GW500 but a rather expensive route.

PS: Just saw one just up for sale http://forums.5serie...ntegration-kit/

+1...although I'm thinking of getting the auxiliary feature also for the external DVD source
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

There's that thread about how to mod the AUX cable by removing the resistor on it to have louder volume and bass. I did it to mine, and it works fine in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
There's that thread about how to mod the AUX cable by removing the resistor on it to have louder volume and bass. I did it to mine, and it works fine in my opinion.
Link?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Had the Aux retro fitted to my 04 545i - only option available for this year. Love it! And as for the sound, check your ipod volume - it may be low. I love the way the system sounds. I wish I could control it from the wheel and/or get the song/artist info but again this was my only option. I would tell the dealer somethings not right if the volume seems low.
Not true. There is the OEM iPod adaptor which I had on my 2004 545. The sound is on par with the rest of the system and you control the iPod through the iDrive. Only draw back is there are limits on the the number of songs that can be played. The adaptor replaces the 6-disc changer in the glove box and appears appears in the iDrive as CD1*, CD2* etc which represent PLaylists, Artists, Albums etc... More expensive than the Aux Input though. And as BlaSTiWi points out, there are third-party options available as well.

Quick Reply: AUX input installed today - my reaction