E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux DIY Hardware Install anyone

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

An electronic engineer friend of mine refuses to let the dealer install the Aux Input in his 545i. Says he must do it himself so he can say he knows his car inside and out. I have tried to talk sense into him but to no avail. He plans to then sneak his car in for an CIP upgrade for other reasons and if it does not come out with Aux in the iDrive lineup claim they screwed it up as it "was working before" .

I had seen one person say they might try, but never saw any follow up. Has anybody tried and failed or had success with at least the hardware?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='May 16 2005, 07:48 AM
An electronic engineer friend of mine refuses to let the dealer install the Aux Input in his 545i.? Says he must do it himself so he can say he knows his car inside and out.? I have tried to talk sense into him but to no avail.? He plans to then sneak his car in for an CIP upgrade for other reasons and if it does not come out with Aux in the iDrive lineup claim they screwed it up as it "was working before" .?

I had seen one person say they might try, but never saw any follow up.? Has anybody tried and failed or had success with at least the hardware?
[snapback]129195[/snapback]

If its like the install on my Z4 aux input, its really a piece of cake.

I have read the install instructions somewhere for the 5 series and it doesn't seem to be that difficult. The only confusion what is the correct way to plug the input in. I have read several posts where the dealer even messed that one up.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Be sure to remind your friend that any BMW dealer can pull the service history of the car and verify who did the aux input install. Obviously, in this case, it'll show that nobody performed the install...
Old 05-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

dav, if you do a search of Aux input, you will find the installation instructions. From what I remember, it didn't seem too difficult. However, remind your friend that as electrical engineers (I am one also), each team member must do its part for the team to be successful. His part is to drive and bring the car in for routine maintenance. It is the techs job to DO the maintenance....If he's like me, he probably won't buy that though.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

One other thing to note -- I recall something about the instructions being wrong with regard to how a couple of wires are supposed to be connected. I think if you follow the directions, you'll end up with no sound...
Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 16 2005, 09:21 AM
One other thing to note -- I recall something about the instructions being wrong with regard to how a couple of wires are supposed to be connected.? I think if you follow the directions, you'll end up with no sound...
[snapback]129206[/snapback]
I know some have claimed one set of instructions supposedly had a reversal in the wires. But with the ratio of good to bad installs I began to think this may just have been service deptartment ineptness - being new and all. AMy service dept did it right first time and I was their first. They still talk about it when I drop by.

I gave him the instructions, and he will not tell me how he got the parts. He claims not to be able to find the connector that he is to plug into.

I did a search and went through many threads, but not all of them. I think it is buried in a thread that probably was not directly on topic so I'll have to dig further. I did find a couple of posts asking if it was DIY and we all said not smart idea, but of course u could try & reminded that dealer had to get it anyway to code up the Aux as an option.

Oh well, I am not going to spend a lot of time on this for him. Its only a few $$ more for the dealer to do the whole thing clear and simple and be done with it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

All that trouble to save $200?? Pay the dealer and let them fix it if other problem's arise. It's not worth potentially voiding my warranty.

Teriyaki