E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Wiper Operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set my windscreen wipers to Auto. Is it right that the car doesn't save this setting when you switch off the engine??. Every time I get in I have to push the button again which is annoying the hell out of me. Seems pointless having an auto feature when you have to manually set it every time you step in the car.

Cheers
Cameron
Old 07-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

You have to activate it again everytime you start the car.

I think that's smart, because you can stop the car when its
raining and then continue the next day when its not raining.

I would not like the wiper turn when the window is dry.

But the actual setting (how sensitive the sensor is) stays in memory,
of course.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Members

I love all the features about the E60 except a few foolish ideas that have been incorporated in the engineering and this is one of them. Why must i always switch the auto wiper function on when i enter the car. This is not a big deal for BMW to incorporate into Idrive as a feature set that can be set automatically, e.g. Auto Enable Wiper when vehicle ignition is on = Yes/No

What is the idea of giving me a futuristic car which maintains some mundane tasks?

Other issues i do have is the partial use of the I-drive... I mean Mercedes does complete automation whenever they embark on it in my Merc, I don't have to engage the auto wiper system every time i start the car. I only switched it on the day I bought it and for over three years have never worried about it. When it starts raining it simply wakes up automatically and does its work. In fact, it does not only do that, but also switch on the head lights automatically. These are programming elements that BMW should engage it's programmers and engineers to consider rather then the so many software updates - e.g. Upgrade Progman with MP3 retrofit - excuse, at the time of manufacture CIP/Progman was unstable... nonsense!

I love the E60, the design is fantastic... if the target people was the late 20s to the early 50's i beleive it is a success and I will at any time pick it over my W211.

Please BMW do something about your feature and option sets. Let Automatic be automatic, manual is a thing of the past.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

I don't agree. To have manual override on an automatic system is very good and very BMW-like.

One situation where you don't want wipers to wipe automatically is in a car wash or if the wiper is frozen to the windscreen. Actually, the only situation when you would like them to wipe is when it rains and then you just push auto.

BMW have always designed all their automatic systems to support the driver, not to replace him and the implementation of the wipers in e60 is far better than in the e39, where you had to push the lever to "step 1" to engage auto wiping.

/M

Originally Posted by redhat_man' post='308945' date='Jul 10 2006, 06:46 PM
I love all the features about the E60 except a few foolish ideas that have been incorporated in the engineering and this is one of them. Why must i always switch the auto wiper function on when i enter the car. This is not a big deal for BMW to incorporate into Idrive as a feature set that can be set automatically, e.g. Auto Enable Wiper when vehicle ignition is on = Yes/No

What is the idea of giving me a futuristic car which maintains some mundane tasks?

Other issues i do have is the partial use of the I-drive... I mean Mercedes does complete automation whenever they embark on it in my Merc, I don't have to engage the auto wiper system every time i start the car. I only switched it on the day I bought it and for over three years have never worried about it. When it starts raining it simply wakes up automatically and does its work. In fact, it does not only do that, but also switch on the head lights automatically. These are programming elements that BMW should engage it's programmers and engineers to consider rather then the so many software updates - e.g. Upgrade Progman with MP3 retrofit - excuse, at the time of manufacture CIP/Progman was unstable... nonsense!

I love the E60, the design is fantastic... if the target people was the late 20s to the early 50's i beleive it is a success and I will at any time pick it over my W211.

Please BMW do something about your feature and option sets. Let Automatic be automatic, manual is a thing of the past.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tegel' post='308954' date='Jul 10 2006, 06:10 PM
One situation where you don't want wipers to wipe automatically is in a car wash or if the wiper is frozen to the windscreen. Actually, the only situation when you would like them to wipe is when it rains and then you just push auto.
An excellent and well thought-through point.

ABC
Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

The automatic wiper feature used to stay on all the time on my 2002 328i, BMW stopped this feature because if the wipers were left in auto mode and you drove through a car wash, your wipers would be destroyed. I like this feature as it is, whats the big deal to lift one fingure while driving to push a button?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tegel' post='308954' date='Jul 10 2006, 01:10 PM
Right

I like the way BMW does it but I do wish the head lights would come on when the wipers did. This has drove me nuts going back to my E39.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2005 E87 120d, 2001 E46 M3 Ordered: E60 530d

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='308963' date='Jul 10 2006, 07:30 PM
...I do wish the head lights would come on when the wipers did...
Don't the headlights get switched on automatically when the light swith and the wipers are set to automatic?
I'm sure that this feature works on the smaller BMWs (E87 1 Series, E90 3 Series)
Old 07-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Well, seems like I did speak me into the box.

Of what I know, any BMW can also be programmed indiviually.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sports pkg, premium pkg,HUD,NAV,comfort seats, power rear shade, premium sound

I am not sure about other e60s but my auto wipers feature is not to cut the wipers on when it starts raining but to control the speed in which the blades fuction. I don't mind turning them on, I just don't want to have to keep adjusting the speed every time the rain slows down and then speeds back up.

Quick Reply: Automatic Wiper Operation