E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic "manual" clima (A/C)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by berkar' date='Mar 10 2005, 12:39 PM
I write my question about that my car made 2003.october, and I have manual A/C

Will sw upgrade to my clima?
Do you have an AUTO button (Top left)? As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as 'manual' A/C...

If AUTO doesn't do 'AUTO' then what's the point!

One problem with the AUTO mode is that the fan speed is reduced once the correct temperature is reached. This can cause misting of the windscreen because of the lack of air-flow. Sometimes you have to manually override the system by changing the fan speed...

A quick test to see if the s/w is working properly is to turn AUTO on and turn the temperature setting - AUTO should stay on but the fan speed should varying to meet the demands. Then turn the speed setting, AUTO should turn off. Turn the speed to max and then hit AUTO - the fan should slow right down (assuming actual temperature is close to desired...) Previously, AUTO used to turn off whenever you touched the speed or temperature!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I agree - the latest SW made the auto mode work for me too.

one thing I have notice which is kinda odd - I notice a "feathering" of the fan speed. It appears to make very rapid adjustments and you can hear the fan speed changing very slightly for no apparent reason. It seems to do this when trying to warm a very cold car.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Mar 10 2005, 03:24 PM
[quote name='berkar' date='Mar 10 2005, 12:39 PM']I write my question about that my car made 2003.october, and I have manual A/C

Do you have an AUTO button (Top left)? As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as 'manual' A/C...

One problem with the AUTO mode is that the fan speed is reduced once the correct temperature is reached. This can cause misting of the windscreen because of the lack of air-flow. Sometimes you have to manually override the system by changing the fan speed...

A quick test to see if the s/w is working properly is to turn AUTO on and turn the temperature setting - AUTO should stay on but the fan speed should varying to meet the demands. Then turn the speed setting, AUTO should turn off. Turn the speed to max and then hit AUTO - the fan should slow right down (assuming actual temperature is close to desired...) Previously, AUTO used to turn off whenever you touched the speed or temperature!
[snapback]99525[/snapback]
[/quote]

My auto mode definitely does NOT turn off if I adjust the fan speed manually!! It still stays on.
I'm leaving the car tomorrow morning and we'll see if the iDrive upgrade will effect this issue. To convince the service guy that it's possible to have the fan speed thing upgraded seems like a waste off time when BMW HQ says that it's not possible...
Old 03-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by Robbo' date='Mar 10 2005, 02:17 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Mar 10 2005, 03:24 PM'][quote name='berkar' date='Mar 10 2005, 12:39 PM']I write my question about that my car made 2003.october, and I have manual A/C

[snapback]99525[/snapback]
[/quote]

My auto mode definitely does NOT turn off if I adjust the fan speed manually!! It still stays on.
I'm leaving the car tomorrow morning and we'll see if the iDrive upgrade will effect this issue. To convince the service guy that it's possible to have the fan speed thing upgraded seems like a waste off time when BMW HQ says that it's not possible...
[snapback]99537[/snapback]
[/quote]

You car is manuf about the same time as mine ! v15.2 SW fixed this problem - before the upgrade mine behaved like yours.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Members

Sorry, but again: In this topic we speak about the manual A/C, not the extended

function A/C?

Because in the book of my car write: the manual clima cant control automatic the

fan speed.

Please write somebody whats the truth!!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by berkar' date='Mar 10 2005, 06:32 PM

function A/C?

Because in the book of my car write: the manual clima cant control automatic the

fan speed.

[snapback]99564[/snapback]

Hi Berkar!

Nice to see someone from Hungary! My parents are from there!!

Back to the issue:

There is the (Euro) standard "half manual" A/C / Klima and there is the optional extended A/C / Klima.
My car manual also says that the standard A/C only has the temp and the air flow set automatically compared to the full auto Klima which also controls the fan speed. On newer E60's the standard Klima now also includes the control of fan speed.
So the big question is why the older standard A/C isn't upgradeable!!

A friend of mine who works at a BMW dealer says that on today?s models there is almost no reason at all to pay some 800 Euros for the extended Klima. The main reason for that statement is the now fully automatic Klima. So the only difference (of my knowledge) is the separate left/right tem setting, the "one button activating the front windshield heating" and the back seat temp. adjustment possibility.

I hope I've cleared things out.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by berkar' date='Mar 10 2005, 04:32 PM

function A/C?

fan speed.

The AUTO on my 'manual' A/C seems pretty 'auto'

Originally Posted by Robbo' date='Mar 10 2005, 02:17 PM
Definitely the s/w! However, there seems to be some confusion about build dates... But mine is definitely before the so called 'can't do' date...!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Members

Then there is hope.
I'll get back after the upgrade. Just to sort things out.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Robbo' date='Mar 10 2005, 07:40 PM
So the only difference (of my knowledge) is the separate left/right tem setting, the "one button activating the front windshield heating" and the back seat temp. adjustment possibility.
[snapback]99622[/snapback]
And the auto-recirculation.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Mar 10 2005, 11:45 PM
[quote name='Robbo' date='Mar 10 2005, 07:40 PM']So the only difference (of my knowledge) is the separate left/right tem setting, the "one button activating the front windshield heating" and the back seat temp. adjustment possibility.
[snapback]99622[/snapback]
And the auto-recirculation.
[snapback]99773[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed... Probably not worth the extra cash as an option - but great if standard fit!

Quick Reply: Automatic "manual" clima (A/C)