E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

automatic gear transmition

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by satelit' post='210381' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:15 PM
OK...

I tried once again and these are my conclusions.
By the way, today I was driving 645i

Sport button is below the gear stick (I don't have it but BMW 645i does)...I think this button is for suspension...I didn't notice any difference.

When driving in DS it change to 6th gear at 150 - 160km/h. When driving manual from 75km/h and in D mode at 85-90 depending on acceleration pedal.

About shifting in my E60 and 645i... i think there is no difference (diferent speed,better brakes,...)

I recognise something new... traction is a little different when driving DS... let me explain... it seems to me that DSC or DTC begins to work a little late. not secnds but just a feeling...on the corners I can feel the car beeing not so stable (like my back is dancing a little). I tried at 100km/h(cruise control) and go in D , DS and M4. In Ds an M4 the back of the car was nor stable. Then I tried a little different way. No cruise control,, exactly 3000RPM and then release the pedal and go. I notice that at the end in D mode I have a little less speed. I tried these for several times and always the same... When DSC or DTC is enabled in the curve (in the middle of driving), the end speed is always hihher when I have in M or DS.

Ok . Enough from me. I'm realy happy to discover DS. My life with steptronic is even better.

Thanks guys!
You are very welcome for my part. DS, manual, the performance maps, and gear holding made my life complete too.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210455
Originally Posted by vnod' post='210249' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:38 AM
[quote name='cobradav' post='210238' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:13 AM']
I did not see anyone mention "Sport" D. Separate mode than DS. Leave shift lever in D and depress "Sport" button. This has same gear action as DS (1 - 5) but also increases throttle tip in as I understand it. Probably discussed in one of the reference threads, sorry I did not go to look befrore responding. I retested mine up to 125 mph and neither "Sport" D or DS would shift out of 5th into 6th. I need more space to take up to higher speed test on this.
Where is my "Sport" button?
Uh oh, the 545 Step does not have that? Sorry, I would have sworn I saw discussions in various threads about 5 series owners using that Sport button on a Step tranny. My button is just rear of the shift lever. My apologies for letting the cat out of the bag for the 6er Step tranny/Dynamic Driving Control combo.
[/quote]You are forgiven! You are a 5er at heart. What's really the diff in the cars anyway? Mainly styling.
[/quote]
Other than it being a coupe and with that the styling of exterior and interior the other differences are very subtle and minor but tend to be performance oriented. We've mentioned the additional Dynamic Drive Mode in the Step (ala SMG) but also the final drive ratio is higher numerically giving a slightly quicker acceleration given identical trannies. All antennas hidden under trunk lid (composite material - non metallic). Different cupholder style all together. Actually a plug in cup holder. Most call it an after thought, but I kinda like it. Probably can see it being used to hold tape player in my gallery pics. Wheels (Sport) are unique to 6er although several have used them successfully on 5 series (usually obtained from a 6er that changed wheels. Problem list very similar to 5 series except I do not believe I have ever seen any 6er owner complain about squeeks. The doors we have are obviously larger, but really tight sounding.

I did not need the sedan having retired from real work and not hosting business associates or out of towners. I fell in love at first sighte of a 6er in R&T or C&D article and really had a hard time bringing myself to test other cars (MB, Jag and Audi - wife has Cabrio that has been a very good car). Drive and style is where its at for me so none of the recent crop of Asian marquees does it for me although I had a turbo Supra until #2 son totalled years ago.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210571
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210267' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:43 AM
[quote name='vnod' post='210249' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:38 AM']
I did not see anyone mention "Sport" D. Separate mode than DS. Leave shift lever in D and depress "Sport" button. This has same gear action as DS (1 - 5) but also increases throttle tip in as I understand it. Probably discussed in one of the reference threads, sorry I did not go to look befrore responding. I retested mine up to 125 mph and neither "Sport" D or DS would shift out of 5th into 6th. I need more space to take up to higher speed test on this.
Uh oh, the 545 Step does not have that? Sorry, I would have sworn I saw discussions in various threads about 5 series owners using that Sport button on a Step tranny. My button is just rear of the shift lever. My apologies for letting the cat out of the bag for the 6er Step tranny/Dynamic Driving Control combo.
[/quote]You are forgiven! You are a 5er at heart. What's really the diff in the cars anyway? Mainly styling.
[/quote]
Other than it being a coupe and with that the styling of exterior and interior the other differences are very subtle and minor but tend to be performance oriented. We've mentioned the additional Dynamic Drive Mode in the Step (ala SMG) but also the final drive ratio is higher numerically giving a slightly quicker acceleration given identical trannies. All antennas hidden under trunk lid (composite material - non metallic). Different cupholder style all together. Actually a plug in cup holder. Most call it an after thought, but I kinda like it. Probably can see it being used to hold tape player in my gallery pics. Wheels (Sport) are unique to 6er although several have used them successfully on 5 series (usually obtained from a 6er that changed wheels. Problem list very similar to 5 series except I do not believe I have ever seen any 6er owner complain about squeeks. The doors we have are obviously larger, but really tight sounding.

I did not need the sedan having retired from real work and not hosting business associates or out of towners. I fell in love at first sighte of a 6er in R&T or C&D article and really had a hard time bringing myself to test other cars (MB, Jag and Audi - wife has Cabrio that has been a very good car). Drive and style is where its at for me so none of the recent crop of Asian marquees does it for me although I had a turbo Supra until #2 son totalled years ago.
[/quote]
That's a good summary of the differences. I have never had a sedan. So, I fell in love with the 5; it's such a sexy sedan. But, I love the 6 too, so maybe next time. I thought the rear-end ratios were the same. The 550i's Step rear-end/gears are: 3.38/4.17, 2.34. 1.52, 1.14, .87, .69. The 545i rear-end/gears are the same. What are yours? They are not given in the BMWNA online 6er brochure.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210571' date='Dec 13 2005, 03:40 AM
... Different cupholder style all together. Actually a plug in cup holder. Most call it an after thought, but I kinda like it. Probably can see it being used to hold tape player in my gallery pics. ...
Nice one. How is it installed? Can this be available for my e61? I am going to look for the part number...

About the Sport button, i drove a MB E for a couple of days that had it too. It changed the suspension to sport mode. Very nice and quite noticeable!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

a bit off topic but any advice on which mode I should drive in once my car arrives for breakin? They advise 1200 miles...I don't think I can keep my foot off the pedal that long!! haha
Old 12-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210574
Originally Posted by vnod' post='210455' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:31 PM
[quote name='cobradav' post='210267' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:43 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
That's a good summary of the differences. I have never had a sedan. So, I fell in love with the 5; it's such a sexy sedan. But, I love the 6 too, so maybe next time. I thought the rear-end ratios were the same. The 550i's Step rear-end/gears are: 3.38/4.17, 2.34. 1.52, 1.14, .87, .69. The 545i rear-end/gears are the same. What are yours? They are not given in the BMWNA online 6er brochure.
[/quote]
3.46 rear with all tranny ratios identical (Same tranny). For the manual/SMG tranny they are again the same between the 5 & 6 (4.05, 2.40, 1.58, 1.19, 1, 0.87) but again rear ratios differ; 3.23 for 6er and 2.93 for 545. I have not tried to obtain the 550 data so these could differ. I put together a chart on RPM versus speed for the two models:

automatic gear transmition-rpmvsspeed.jpg
Old 12-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210652
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210571' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:40 PM
[quote name='vnod' post='210455' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:31 PM']
[quote name='cobradav' post='210267' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:43 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
3.46 rear with all tranny ratios identical (Same tranny). For the manual/SMG tranny they are again the same between the 5 & 6 (4.05, 2.40, 1.58, 1.19, 1, 0.87) but again rear ratios differ; 3.23 for 6er and 2.93 for 545. I have not tried to obtain the 550 data so these could differ. I put together a chart on RPM versus speed for the two models:

Attachment 13463
[/quote]
Great chart cd. Thank you. Still, something is niggling at me. Could the 3.46 for the step be for the convertible 6er. I think the convertible rear is higher numerically than the coupe. And, despite your infinite wisdom and info , I still get the feeling that the rears are the same on the 545i, 550i, and 645i (coupe).
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod
[
Great chart cd. Thank you. Still, something is niggling at me. Could the 3.46 for the step be for the convertible 6er. I think the convertible rear is higher numerically than the coupe. And, despite your infinite wisdom and info , I still get the feeling that the rears are the same on the 545i, 550i, and 645i (coupe).
[/quote]

I had at one time about five different sources (three web sites, one magazine and one old BMW missive) that were all consistant with those figures. All but one source spoke to the coupe. The only source that included the Cabrio indicated differences where appropriate and specified SAME when listing final drive ratio for Coupe and Cabrio. No other source article, or spec list ever contradicted the figures so I have to assume, lacking anything to the contrary, that the ones I am using are correct.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav
Originally Posted by vnod' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:27 AM' post='210682
[
I had at one time about five different sources (three web sites, one magazine and one old BMW missive) that were all consistant with those figures. All but one source spoke to the coupe. The only source that included the Cabrio indicated differences where appropriate and specified SAME when listing final drive ratio for Coupe and Cabrio. No other source article, or spec list ever contradicted the figures so I have to assume, lacking anything to the contrary, that the ones I am using are correct.
[/quote]

Check this page out. Look at "Modelle und technische Daten (PDF, 155k)." I think maybe it indicates that the Step rear-end for the 650i coupe and cabrio, respectively, are 3.23 and 3.46 at least in Germany. On the other hand, the gear ratios given correspond to what is given for the SMG in the US. But, I don't think the SMG rear-end would be higher than 3.0 in Germany. Anyway, I ended up confused trying to figure out what the German says.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod
Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:05 AM' post='210688
[quote name='vnod' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:27 AM' post='210682']
[
[/quote]

Check this page out. Look at "Modelle und technische Daten (PDF, 155k)." I think maybe it indicates that the Step rear-end for the 650i coupe and cabrio, respectively, are 3.23 and 3.46 at least in Germany. On the other hand, the gear ratios given correspond to what is given for the SMG in the US. But, I don't think the SMG rear-end would be higher than 3.0 in Germany. Anyway, I ended up confused trying to figure out what the German says.
[/quote]

What u say could NOW be true for 650 as I have not done any research on it. My info is for 645 '04 and '05. And one very minor point I forgot. I validated the calculated RPMs versus speed on my 6er all the way through 100 MPH using at least two different tranny gears for each one 1000 rpm data point. My own tach/mph comparisons match the 3.46 far closer than the 3.23, albiet, not too far off the 3.38 of the 545. Futhermore, by clocking / measuring on I95 my speedo 60 mph times and by constantly going up against DoD radars I have calibrated my Speedo/odo error to +/- 1 mph to further take out as much of the error budget as I can within reason. I am confident I have a 3.46 butt, but cannot say for sure about anything else I published as I cannot personally validate my claims.

Quick Reply: automatic gear transmition