E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

automatic gear transmition

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='209957' date='Dec 11 2005, 09:13 AM
Usefull but you're mistaken about the percentage. Most of us know those facts.
I'm sure that most people on the forum know this since they are generally enthusiasts but I've bumped into several BMW drivers that had no clue about "the other side" of their auto stick. They were almost scared of it. This is particularly true of the spouses of enthusiast drivers who don't drive the cars very much and are just happy to leave it in D like all other autos they've driven.

I've seen some posts here like "I drove home for 10 miles in DS mode - is my engine okay?". This was just a couple of weeks back. Yeah, here it is: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18860.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='209957' date='Dec 11 2005, 09:13 AM
There is also, on this forum a pdf wich relates more aobut the gearbox like the driving modes: D: E, XE; DS: S, XS and many more interesting things.

I believe E, XE and S, XS modes have been eliminated starting with version 19.01 of the software. We are back to D and S only. That's how my E39 stptronic used to work and that is how my 2005 545 behaves after it was upgraded to 19.01.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='210145
There is also, on this forum a pdf wich relates more aobut the gearbox like the driving modes: D: E, XE; DS: S, XS and many more interesting things.

I believe E, XE and S, XS modes have been eliminated starting with version 19.01 of the software. We are back to D and S only. That's how my E39 stptronic used to work and that is how my 2005 545 behaves after it was upgraded to 19.01.
[/quote]
S = DS on my US 545i with 19.01.01.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='210033
The most important stuff that i discovered is the ability to make a burnout....YES in a steptronic. You see here it is a catch...if you just turn off dsc and press the brake with your left foot and with your right foot accelerate it will accelerate but only to a certain rpm level (mine is around 2000-2300rpms the most (535d)). This i heard acts as a protection to the gearbox and doesn't alow too much wheelspin to start a burnout. So you just have to ease the brakes a little bit to allow the car to move a bit (a few inches) and then you'll see the rpms rise almost to the redline. Nice.
This is what i did to reach the ~9sec 0-100km/h mark on my 525d with Steptronic (in DS mode but kept DSC on).

One think that keeps puzzeling me is the consumption... i can't get it lower than 8,6L/100km. I drive in either save mode or full burn mode. I have won a low-consumption competition a few years ago, so i know (or should know) how to do it, at least in a non steptronic car.

The main cause i am finding for this is that the gearbox is always in "slip" mode so the engine revs too much. I read the docs about the box (in vnod threads and others) where they say it should not slip when not required.

Are your Steptronic always "slipping" (i.e. when you accelerate it revs more that required for the current gear/speed)?
Can my Steptronic box have a problem?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I think "slipping" is cause by a worn torque converter. The cause is frequent hard accceleration. I have not experience "slipping" yet; I don't intend to do lots of hard acceleration either.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I did not see anyone mention "Sport" D. Separate mode than DS. Leave shift lever in D and depress "Sport" button. This has same gear action as DS (1 - 5) but also increases throttle tip in as I understand it. Probably discussed in one of the reference threads, sorry I did not go to look befrore responding. I retested mine up to 125 mph and neither "Sport" D or DS would shift out of 5th into 6th. I need more space to take up to higher speed test on this.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210238' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:13 AM
I did not see anyone mention "Sport" D. Separate mode than DS. Leave shift lever in D and depress "Sport" button. This has same gear action as DS (1 - 5) but also increases throttle tip in as I understand it. Probably discussed in one of the reference threads, sorry I did not go to look befrore responding. I retested mine up to 125 mph and neither "Sport" D or DS would shift out of 5th into 6th. I need more space to take up to higher speed test on this.
Where is my "Sport" button?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210249
[/quote]
Uh oh, the 545 Step does not have that? Sorry, I would have sworn I saw discussions in various threads about 5 series owners using that Sport button on a Step tranny. My button is just rear of the shift lever. My apologies for letting the cat out of the bag for the 6er Step tranny/Dynamic Driving Control combo.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Members

OK...

I tried once again and these are my conclusions.
By the way, today I was driving 645i

Sport button is below the gear stick (I don't have it but BMW 645i does)...I think this button is for suspension...I didn't notice any difference.

When driving in DS it change to 6th gear at 150 - 160km/h. When driving manual from 75km/h and in D mode at 85-90 depending on acceleration pedal.

About shifting in my E60 and 645i... i think there is no difference (diferent speed,better brakes,...)

I recognise something new... traction is a little different when driving DS... let me explain... it seems to me that DSC or DTC begins to work a little late. not secnds but just a feeling...on the corners I can feel the car beeing not so stable (like my back is dancing a little). I tried at 100km/h(cruise control) and go in D , DS and M4. In Ds an M4 the back of the car was nor stable. Then I tried a little different way. No cruise control,, exactly 3000RPM and then release the pedal and go. I notice that at the end in D mode I have a little less speed. I tried these for several times and always the same... When DSC or DTC is enabled in the curve (in the middle of driving), the end speed is always hihher when I have in M or DS.

Ok . Enough from me. I'm realy happy to discover DS. My life with steptronic is even better.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='210160' date='Dec 12 2005, 04:51 AM
I think "slipping" is cause by a worn torque converter. The cause is frequent hard accceleration. I have not experience "slipping" yet; I don't intend to do lots of hard acceleration either.
Hi,

My car has only got 27.000km/h...
Has anyone "seen" or used a worn torque converter? Or know anyone that has had this problem?
It is only a 525d... if the same gearbox is used in the 535d, i imagine it must be very resistant... no?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210267
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210238' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:13 AM
Uh oh, the 545 Step does not have that? Sorry, I would have sworn I saw discussions in various threads about 5 series owners using that Sport button on a Step tranny. My button is just rear of the shift lever. My apologies for letting the cat out of the bag for the 6er Step tranny/Dynamic Driving Control combo.
[/quote]You are forgiven! You are a 5er at heart. What's really the diff in the cars anyway? Mainly styling.

Quick Reply: automatic gear transmition