E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Climate Control AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

On my 05 545i, it claims automatic climate control. If I set the AC in iDrive on high, the blower blows high . . . likewise for medium and low. Hence the temperature knobs DO NOT control the blower speed.

BMW engineers are too smart for their own kind. I do not know of any automaker that claims automatic climate control THIS WAY.

My previous Nissan Maxima, Lexus LS400, etc. and any other climate control system works very logically . . . set the temperature I want, e.g. 74, and the AC adjusts the blower and temperature automatically to quickly get 74 F in the car.

For BMW, it's better to use the manual fan knob and turn the temperature knob. Hmmmmm. . . . . where's the "smart system?" Software updates?

Another note, the AC comes on every time I start the car even if I turned it off the last time? Thanks, sometimes, I prefer to turn the A/C on myself.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 29 2005, 08:49 PM
On my 05 545i, it claims automatic climate control. If I set the AC in iDrive on high, the blower blows high . . . likewise for medium and low. Hence the temperature knobs DO NOT control the blower speed.

BMW engineers are too smart for their own kind. I do not know of any automaker that claims automatic climate control THIS WAY.

My previous Nissan Maxima, Lexus LS400, etc. and any other climate control system works very logically . . . set the temperature I want, e.g. 74, and the AC adjusts the blower and temperature automatically to quickly get 74 F in the car.

For BMW, it's better to use the manual fan knob and turn the temperature knob. Hmmmmm. . . . . where's the "smart system?" Software updates?

Another note, the AC comes on every time I start the car even if I turned it off the last time? Thanks, sometimes, I prefer to turn the A/C on myself.
[snapback]164951[/snapback]
Are you talking about the vent settings in idrive?

The vent settings in idrive set the TEMPERATURE of the DASH vents. Not the overall cabin temperature which is controlled automatically based on your preset temperature selection. It's actually a fairly sophisticated system, but not easy to understand. And you don't.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 29 2005, 09:49 PM

Huh? Mine works perfectly, blows like hell if it's hot in the car and the A/C is set to Auto. If you turn the fan speed knob then the auto shuts off - is that what you are doing?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

HVAC has never been a German strong suit, be it in a Bimmer, MB or a P-Car.

When it comes to air conditioning, they could really take a lesson from the Japanese ...
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, here's how the car really works....

First, as with any automatic climate control system, the temperature selectors will adjust the fan speed higher or lower until the desired temperature is reached. It's possible to provide small adjustments to the temperature of the air coming out of the vents but usually, as in the case of A/C in summer, the temperature is on "full cold" and the fan speed is used to chase the temperature.

Now, here's where the confusion starts. The three settings in iDrive (Low/Medium/High) only control how agressively the car chases the desired temperature.

For example, if the iDrive setting is on "medium" and the interior of the car is one degree away from the desired (set) temperature, the car will adjust the fan speed accordingly to find a good balance between quickly cooling the car down one degree while remaining relatively quiet in doing so.

If the same situation occured while the iDrive setting was on "high," the car would more agressively blow the fan to get to the desired temperature (essentially sacrificing a quiet cabin in exchange for reaching the set temperature faster.) Obviously, the exact opposite is true if iDrive is set to "low" -- the car will take longer to reach the temperature but it will do so very quietly.

These three settings used to be called something else in earlier versions of the software. They used words like "more agressive" "normal" and "less agressive" (I can't remember the exact words.) (edit: I looked it up in the 2004 owner's manual and it says: "intense," "medium," and "soft" on page 93/.pdf page 95. In TIS, it says the choices are: "intensive," "medium," and "gentle" but it also mentions a fourth setting called "convertible" which is selectable only when the convertible top is open. Anyone with a 6-series convertible care to confirm that setting?)

Hope that clears things up a bit. One thing's for sure, the car clearly has an automatic climate control system and as far as I'm concerned, it works as good or better than many other systems I've used. (For example, the E60's system adjusts humidity levels as well as temperature.)
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 29 2005, 10:13 PM

First, as with any automatic climate control system, the temperature selectors will adjust the fan speed higher or lower until the desired temperature is reached.? It's possible to provide small adjustments to the temperature of the air coming out of the vents but usually, as in the case of A/C in summer, the temperature is on "full cold" and the fan speed is used to chase the temperature.

Now, here's where the confusion starts.? The three settings in iDrive (Low/Medium/High) only control how agressively the car chases the desired temperature.?

For example, if the iDrive setting is on "medium" and the interior of the car is one degree away from the desired (set) temperature, the car will adjust the fan speed accordingly to find a good balance between quickly cooling the car down one degree while remaining relatively quiet in doing so.

If the same situation occured while the iDrive setting was on "high," the car would more agressively blow the fan to get to the desired temperature (essentially sacrificing a quiet cabin in exchange? for reaching the set temperature faster.)? Obviously, the exact opposite is true if iDrive is set to "low" -- the car will take longer to reach the temperature but it will do so very quietly.

These three settings used to be called something else in earlier versions of the software.? They used words like "more agressive" "normal" and "less agressive" (I can't remember the exact words.)

Hope that clears things up a bit.? One thing's for sure, the car clearly has an automatic climate control system and as far as I'm concerned, it works as good or better than many other systems I've used.? (For example, the E60's system adjusts humidity levels as well as temperature.)
[snapback]164972[/snapback]
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 06:13 AM

First, as with any automatic climate control system, the temperature selectors will adjust the fan speed higher or lower until the desired temperature is reached.? It's possible to provide small adjustments to the temperature of the air coming out of the vents but usually, as in the case of A/C in summer, the temperature is on "full cold" and the fan speed is used to chase the temperature.

Now, here's where the confusion starts.? The three settings in iDrive (Low/Medium/High) only control how agressively the car chases the desired temperature.?

If the same situation occured while the iDrive setting was on "high," the car would more agressively blow the fan to get to the desired temperature (essentially sacrificing a quiet cabin in exchange? for reaching the set temperature faster.)? Obviously, the exact opposite is true if iDrive is set to "low" -- the car will take longer to reach the temperature but it will do so very quietly.

These three settings used to be called something else in earlier versions of the software.? They used words like "more agressive" "normal" and "less agressive" (I can't remember the exact words.)? (edit: I looked it up in the 2004 owner's manual and it says: "intense," "medium," and "soft" on page 93/.pdf page 95. In TIS, it says the choices are: "intensive," "medium," and "gentle" but it also mentions a fourth setting called "convertible" which is selectable only when the convertible top is open.? Anyone with a 6-series convertible care to confirm that setting?)

Hope that clears things up a bit.? One thing's for sure, the car clearly has an automatic climate control system and as far as I'm concerned, it works as good or better than many other systems I've used.? (For example, the E60's system adjusts humidity levels as well as temperature.)
[snapback]164972[/snapback]
I would add that even if you have selected low, if the climate control "think" there is too much degrees to catch, it will very temporarily work hard and then very smooth. I personally find this extra choice clever, especially because my girlfriend is very sensitive to AIRCO and the low position is a dream for her.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Contributors

I think the A/C works fine, but I don't like how you have to adjust both temperature knobs.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:39 AM
I think the A/C works fine, but I don't like how you have to adjust both temperature knobs.
[snapback]165014[/snapback]
Whhat? That's just a very nice thing to have. I mean maybe the driver needs 19 degrees and maybe the passenger wants 21. The fans in the driver are will blow colder air while not disturbing the passenger. (2 zone climate control)

As for the automatic, all i can say it trully works as an automatic. (controlling humidity, temperature, speed) AND i noticed that if i'm driving on a normal road, hot outside and suddenly change direction and the sun is in my windscreen now, the air changes in intensity and ari outlets accordingly not to feel too much the heat from the sun. That's a nice thing...automatic as the sun rays hit the windscrren
Old 08-30-2005, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 29 2005, 10:49 PM

As far as the AC coming on everytime you start the car even if you shut it off you probably need a software upgrade.I have 17.2 and when I turn off the AC it stays off until I turn it on manually,As for the other things you just don't understand the system like so many others.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Automatic Climate Control AC