E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autobahnd "Not-So-Clear Bra"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

As some of you may know, I had my "clear bra" replaced once already due to yellowing.
Well, guess what? Yup, yellowing again.
Not as bad as last year but noticeable.
I asked my dealer to replace it again when it was just in for service.
The response I got was that the person that they "sub contracted" it out to will not replace it again.
He said that it "has a coloring to it..." and that "It will be more noticeable on an Alpine White car".

Well, it wasn't nearly as visible when it was installed. And it wasn't as visible when it was re-installed about a year ago.

Look at the pictures and decide for youself.
The photos were taken in the delivery area at the dealership before the car was even driven. They detailed the car for me as well, so this is as good (can I use that word?) as it is going to look.

**Beware before choosing Autobahnd brand clear bra**
Attached Thumbnails Autobahnd &quot;Not-So-Clear Bra&quot;-100_1558.jpg   Autobahnd &quot;Not-So-Clear Bra&quot;-100_1552.jpg   Autobahnd &quot;Not-So-Clear Bra&quot;-100_1556.jpg   Autobahnd &quot;Not-So-Clear Bra&quot;-100_1553.jpg   Autobahnd &quot;Not-So-Clear Bra&quot;-100_1555.jpg  

Autobahnd &quot;Not-So-Clear Bra&quot;-100_1557.jpg  
Old 05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Contributors

That is way yellow. I would demand a replacement with the 3M product.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

That sucks. I'd never use the dealer, or whoever they outsource it to, for clear bra. Better to find an installer who specializes in it. A local high end detailer/auto cosmetics shop would be better, or go to the 3M website and search for a 3M trained installer.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I was at the dealer that sold my my Boxster and saw the same 'up-sell'. I laughed at him and asked him if this was the new "cheezy bra" of the day. He said it really works. I was not sure of that.

I believe that cars are for driving and will take a few licks over time. Door dings, chips from stones, etc. My own Boxster was victim of a half hearted attempt at being keyed.

Bottom line. If BMW thought is was worth it they would include it as an option.

That is my two cents.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

This is not a 3M work... My clear bra by X-PEL is a totally different cut.

Visit www.xpel.com for an authorized dealer near you, get your money back from your installer.

Nickolas - Driving everyday 30-40 miles on the I-95, clear bra is essential as it gets.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I think that it's a good idea but again, it is one of the things I am not going to spend money on since I am only leasing my car for two years.

Why don't you try calling BMW's customer service departmant. That way you can waste lots of your time explaining the problem to a really sympathetic and helpful employee who will do absolutely nothing to help you.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow thats very yellow. Always go with 3M brand. they're known to have a clear coat on their film vs. other brands. dont listen to what the isntaller tells you. If they're not using 3M (and you can see this... its on the back peeling... ) DONT install. I've gotten 3M on my MINI and 3 years and it barely yellowed a very tiny bit. It was on a electric blue car and white mirrors and it didnt look that bad.

The one cheaper guy I used for the E60 used Avery film. I'm not so happy with that. I find the quality not as nice as 3M. So for the IS i searched for another isntaller and made sure he used 3M. I'm happy wiht the new isntaller.

Oh and all 3 cars I've used X-Pel design cut. They have pretty decent coverage... EVEN better now. All their cuts now wrap from edge to edge. none of what you see on the fist pic where it "ends" before reaching the wheel well.

I can get some pics of the IS bumper and the E60 bumper but I'm too lazy unless someone wants to see them.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Still yellow this morning (not that it is gong to change).
Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributors

Hmmm. Still yellow! Autobahnd does yellow. The above pics are after less than 1 year! (It was already replaced)!!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

All,

There are only 2 (maybe 3) kinds of film. Autobahnd uses 3M. Everyone has different cuts - that has nothing to do with type of film used. The cut, the film brand, and the warranty are really the only differentiators between "brands" like Xpel or Autobahnd.

Again, Autobahnd uses 3M (at least the Autobahnd provider in my area does). If it yellows, it's going to yellow regardless of the people cutting and applying it. There's a lifetime warranty from Autobahnd. You should be able to get it replaced. If they won't, write a letter to your state's attorney general.